Preferred Tablets

Page 2 of 2 (32 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 31 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 28728
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 20 2014 8:42 AM

Keith Larson:
Also has anyone else noticed how many people have their “tablets” in keyboard cases that essentially turn their “tablet” into a laptop that only weights a few ounces less than a 11’ MacBook Air?

If someone is going to do that, they should just use a laptop as you say. For your usage Keith, I think you might be on to something. My usage is very different. I use my iPad every single day. I hold it in my hands. I prefer to read on it than my MacBook Pro. I also use a "plain old kindle" and love it. 

1. If I am ONLY reading (not worrying about highlighting or taking simple notes... mostly "pleasure reading") I prefer the "plain kindle." 
  2. If I am reading for extended periods and plan to highlight and take simple notes (which is most of my Logos library) I prefer the full sized iPad. (I have no use for the mini). 
  3. If I am "researching" and switching between resources, writing long notes or sermons, I will use my 13 inch MacBook Pro. (I have no use for an 11 inch MacBook. My wife has one and it is too small. I'll go blind trying to squint to read on it). 

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 1130
Keith Larson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 20 2014 9:12 AM

alabama24:

If I am "researching" and switching between resources, writing long notes or sermons, I will use my 13 inch MacBook Pro. (I have no use for an 11 inch MacBook. My wife has one and it is too small. I'll go blind trying to squint to read on it). 

I am also thinking about a MacBook Pro. I have read that many consider the 13 inch to be the "sweet spot" of the Apple line up. Sounds like you are up on Apple produces. I think I read somewhere that Apple might be coming out with thin and lighter MacBook Pros in 2015. Have you heard anything about that?

Posts 9415
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 20 2014 9:14 AM

Keith Larson:
Are tablets overrated? I am seriously wrestling with this. Don’t get me wrong, I love my iPad mini, but the other day it occurred to me that I rarely actually hold the thing in my hands to read. At the coffee shop I prompt up on a stand, in my easy chair I use one of those lap pillows with a stand, in bed I use my old “Lap Genie” laptop stand. Moreover, during long sessions of reading my finger gets much more tired turning pages than just hitting the space bar when reading in the desktop/laptop version of Logos.

Keith, your thinking was exactly like mine until I discovered a new product for my ipad mini. I was continually trying to prop it up with pillows and such when reading in bed or on a couch and holding it for long periods of time left my hands quite tired. This is the product that I purchased that I absolutely love that solved all of these issues. http://www.zerochroma.com/product/vario-sc-mini I also purchased the "smart cover" that works seamlessly with it. Now I prop it up in bed, on my lap or at a table and can adjust to almost any angle I need. It has seriously made a huge difference for me. I highly recommend it. Yes

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 28728
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 20 2014 9:40 AM

Keith Larson:
I have read that many consider the 13 inch to be the "sweet spot" of the Apple line up.

I agree with that. The 11 inch makes everything too small. The larger models are OK, but less comfortable in my lap. If I were needing mobility for video editing or photoshop, a larger monitor would be desired. For most other things, the 13 inch is perfect (imo). 

Keith Larson:
I think I read somewhere that Apple might be coming out with thin and lighter MacBook Pros in 2015. Have you heard anything about that?

I haven't heard anything definitive about next year, but I did read that "thinner" versions were on the horizon. They did release new ones in July.

The "MacBook Pro's" without retina display are thicker, come standard with a traditional HDD and have a "superdrive" (DVD player / burner). The "retina" versions are considerably thinner, only come with SSD's and do not have a "superdrive."

Posts 1130
Keith Larson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 20 2014 10:04 AM

Bruce Dunning:

Keith Larson:
Are tablets overrated? I am seriously wrestling with this. Don’t get me wrong, I love my iPad mini, but the other day it occurred to me that I rarely actually hold the thing in my hands to read. At the coffee shop I prompt up on a stand, in my easy chair I use one of those lap pillows with a stand, in bed I use my old “Lap Genie” laptop stand. Moreover, during long sessions of reading my finger gets much more tired turning pages than just hitting the space bar when reading in the desktop/laptop version of Logos.

Keith, your thinking was exactly like mine until I discovered a new product for my ipad mini. I was continually trying to prop it up with pillows and such when reading in bed or on a couch and holding it for long periods of time left my hands quite tired. This is the product that I purchased that I absolutely love that solved all of these issues. http://www.zerochroma.com/product/vario-sc-mini I also purchased the "smart cover" that works seamlessly with it. Now I prop it up in bed, on my lap or at a table and can adjust to almost any angle I need. It has seriously made a huge difference for me. I highly recommend it. Yes

Thanks for the tip Bruce.

Posts 434
Mark Nolette | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 21 2014 2:13 PM

Having a 13' Retina MacBook Pro, I tend to agree with the last statement! It has plenty of power, and yet is light enough to use comfortably on my lap. For extended reading in my resources, I prefer to use my Onyx Boox T68, an E-Ink eReader that runs Android (4.04). E-Ink is easier on my eyes for longer periods of use. But for more serious study in Logos, I use my Mac. I also have an iPad mini for the other tablet stuff. 

Posts 1085
EastTN | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 21 2014 6:00 PM

A key question may be what kind of reading you're doing.  I bought a Sony book reader years ago, and I've loved it.  The screen is about the same size as a paperback, but the reader is thinner, lighter, and can hold hundreds of books.  So for me, it was a perfect replacement for paperbacks for my subway commute and when I traveled.  I'm taking classes now that require book I can get through Logos or the Kindle store; they also have readings in pdf format.  The Sony won't handle any of that, but the Nexus 7 does in a form factor that's very similar to the old Sony/Kindle book readers.  That's great for me, because it lets me lug my textbooks around in a device that's about as easy to read a paperback, and thinner and lighter.  I have Logos installed, but I only use it for reading, highlighting and basic searches - essentially what you'd use the Kindle app for.  I would not recommend the Nexus 7 as a laptop replacement, but if what you really need is a small, light way to carry your books with you, it's great.  I assume that other 7 or 8 inch Android tables would provide about the same functionality. 

Posts 16
Barry Stewart | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 21 2014 7:08 PM
Thanks again, everybody. He called me today and said he has read all your responses and finds them very helpful. He is out of town for a couple days, and when he gets back he will probably make a decision. I'll let you know when I find out more!
Posts 5315
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 21 2014 7:29 PM

Keith Larson:
As tempting as the new iPad Air 2s will be, I am starting to wonder if the 12’ Retina MacBook Air will not really the idea mobile Logos reading platform. This new MacBook Air should be as light as many tablet/keyboard combos, will have a great display for reading with a built-in stand. Moreover, it will have what is regarded as best keyboard and touchpad on the market. Best of all, it will run the full version of Logos!

I just wish Apple would consider a hybrid.... We know that they have patented numerous closure systems that turn a laptop into a tablet. A macbook air that I could hold as a tablet for reading would be ideal for me.

-Dan

Posts 1753
JoshInRI | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 22 2014 4:21 AM

The Surface Pro makes an excellent handwarmer too though I suppose radiation is something most people try to wisely avoid, huh?

Posts 28728
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 22 2014 4:26 AM

Barry Stewart:
I'll let you know when I find out more!

Please do  Smile

Posts 1079
JohnB | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 25 2014 12:12 PM

Very much 'horses for courses' . I want something that will fit into my jacket pocket; in my backpack so I can read when travelling on the bus/train or waiting to see the dentist and not need a briefcase to carry it into church. To use as a SatNav in the car, to use GPS linked walking maps when out in the countryside. Check my email, etc

Nexus 7 is ideal for all of that. Apple 13", no way. As nice as it is, my jacket pocket is not that big.

Page 2 of 2 (32 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS