Suggestion: Topic Search

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
This post has 9 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 76
David Pugh | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Jan 7 2010 4:13 PM

Please consider bringing back the topic search to Logos 4 as it was in Logos 3 (not just the passage guide edition).  THANKS! 

Posts 33418
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 7 2010 4:17 PM

DavidPugh:
Please consider bringing back the topic search to Logos 4 as it was in Logos 3

Logos has explained the increased accuracy of the L4 method - an argument that was persuasive for me. However, you are one of several who have requested the L3 method be revived. What features of L3 makes its topic search better (or, put another way, what is the L4 method lacking)?

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 76
David Pugh | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 7 2010 5:46 PM

The L4 method returns sometimes almost TOO many hits in that I want to read material that addresses that topic in a more lengthy way.  Sorting by "Rank" doesn't do the trick.

Posts 76
David Pugh | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 7 2010 6:46 PM

1.  First solution to searching is to add the "+" sign next to the resource allows for the reader to quickly scan the resources as in Version 3.  This was a great feature b/c then you could expand only the resources you wanted to see.

2.  allow for more hits on a page than what is currently available

Posts 33418
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 7 2010 7:07 PM

DavidPugh:
The L4 method returns sometimes almost TOO many hits in that I want to read material that addresses that topic in a more lengthy way

I agree with this - especially with not being able to collapse a book. If I understand Logos correctly, this will decrease as more resources are coded for L4.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 1547
Blair Laird | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 17 2010 7:12 AM

DavidPugh:

Please consider bringing back the topic search to Logos 4 as it was in Logos 3 (not just the passage guide edition).  THANKS! 

I would also like to see this feature return currently it seems as though my topics just get linked to my dictionaries and what not.Yes

Posts 115
Joel J. | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 26 2010 5:44 PM

Agreed!

Posts 675
Jim | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 13 2010 8:49 PM

I agree that topic search is needed. I certainly don't understand why it would have been dropped.

In fact the Wiki entry under topic search is misleading. There doesn't appear to be a "topic" search per se. What happens as far as I can tell is that the Wiki instructions simply invoke a word search. If it happens to surface topics it's simply because the word or words you entered happened to occur in a topic heading. They could just as well as occurred somewhere in the text of an article, so you get all kinds of useless hits.

Have a great day,
jmac

Posts 33418
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 13 2010 8:59 PM

Jim McDaniel:
I certainly don't understand why it would have been dropped.

The good thing is there is no reason to understand why it was dropped - it has not been dropped. However, the improved version isn't yet visibly improved because it depends upon the retaging of resources. Patience is required in this case.

Posts 5337
Kevin Becker | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 14 2010 4:32 AM

Jim McDaniel:

I agree that topic search is needed. I certainly don't understand why it would have been dropped.

In fact the Wiki entry under topic search is misleading. There doesn't appear to be a "topic" search per se. What happens as far as I can tell is that the Wiki instructions simply invoke a word search. If it happens to surface topics it's simply because the word or words you entered happened to occur in a topic heading. They could just as well as occurred somewhere in the text of an article, so you get all kinds of useless hits.

Jim,

Read this post by Sean Boisen, a Logos employee, he interacts with why topic searching is the way it is and how we can expect it to improve over time. http://community.logos.com/forums/p/3470/27363.aspx#27363 I've pointed you to the most helpful reply but you might want to read the entire thread, it's long thought (keep in mind it was back in November just after Logos 4 was released).

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS