New PC for my Logos and Gaming!

Page 1 of 2 (30 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 29 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 179
Matthew Langlois | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Sep 22 2014 6:54 PM

I bought a new pc this past week.  Needless to say it absolutely screams. Here are some specs:

Alienware Aurora-R4

ALX Chassis in Matte Stealth Black with an 875W Power Supply (for Ivy bridge processor)

Alienware Aurora Liquid Cooling

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4930K Processor (6-cores, 12MB Cache, Overclocked up to 4.1 GHz w/ Turbo Boost) 32GB Quad Channel DDR3 at 1600MHz NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) GTX(TM) TITAN Z with 12GB GDDR5 - Dual GPU Card Cool 512GB SSD 6Gb/s MAIN + 1TB 7200RPM Storage Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit English Logitech z906 Logitech G19 Logitech G13 Logitech 240 mousepad Logitech G502 Proteus Core Mouse Boot up time less than five seconds.  Eats anything Logos 5 and Crysis 3 can throw at it.  Next up will be a 60Hz 28 or 31.5 inch 4k monitor with 1ms response time. :)  I'll be able to game in 4k UHD at over 60 FPS with that GPU.  Logos Mobile Ed looks fantastic on my rig and runs buttery smooth.  Searches are so ridiculously fast it isn't even funny.  I also got a 12GB GPU to do video rendering as well.  I usually build my own pc but the deal I got on the dual GPU was staggering.  My Logos experience has changed about face.  Love it.
Posts 602
Bill Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 22 2014 7:06 PM

Nice rig, there. I can't imagine a better set up. Dual-card with 12 GB GPU. LOL! I just bought a single GTX 760 with 4GB and that was a step up for me.

Posts 179
Matthew Langlois | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 22 2014 7:07 PM

Alienware Aurora-R4

ALX Chassis in Matte Stealth Black with an 875W Power Supply (for Ivy bridge processor)

Alienware Aurora Liquid Cooling

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4930K Processor (6-cores, 12MB Cache, Overclocked up to 4.1 GHz w/ Turbo Boost)

32GB Quad Channel DDR3 at 1600MHz

NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) GTX(TM) TITAN Z with 12GB GDDR5 - Dual GPU Card Cool

512GB SSD 6Gb/s MAIN + 1TB 7200RPM Storage

Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit English

Logitech z906

LogitechG19

LogitechG13

Logitech 240 mousepad

Logitech G502 Proteus Core Mouse

Boot up time less than five seconds.

I could not edit my lat post, but I broke up the specs so it will be easier to read. 

Posts 3942
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 22 2014 7:11 PM

It is a nice setup. Only suggestion would be to add a couple more displays.

It doesn't feel different at first. But then dropping down to one display feels like being handcuffed to a boat anchor.

L2 lvl4, L3 Scholars, L4 Scholars, L5 Platinum,  L6 Collectors. L7 Baptist Portfolio. L8 Baptist Platinum.

Posts 179
Matthew Langlois | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 22 2014 7:11 PM

Thanks Bill.  That GTX 760 is still more than enough for Logos.  I did go all out on this, but this computer encompasses my ENTIRE entertainment/work activities.  I guess that PS4 I bought a month ago is an after thought now, lol. :)

Posts 179
Matthew Langlois | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 22 2014 7:14 PM

Yeah, thought about that, but would much prefer a 4k display at 60Hz  at around 30 inches.  Not really into multi displays, although in my former job I lived by them as a derivatives trader on Wall Street. I have the horsepower to do that though.  4K is in my very near future fellows. A single 4K monitor (not talking TVs with terrible refresh rates or >1ms reponse times) will have such high pixel density that my screen real estate will be 4x that of a normal 1080p monitor. 

Posts 3942
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 22 2014 7:18 PM

Matthew Langlois:

Yeah, thought about that, but would much prefer a 4k display at 60Hz  at around 30 inches.  Not really into multi displays, although in my former job I lived by them as a derivatives trader on Wall Street. I have the horsepower to do that though.  4K is in my very near future fellows.

4k is nice, but it doesn't make the text in Logos any clearer :). I haven't really done any online gaming for the last 3 or 4 years. Maybe the odd facebook clicker... but that setup is wasted on facebook games.

My current setup is 3x 24" displays, and a 30". The 30 is a bit awkward to be honest. I use it when I stream video, but thats about all I use it for these days. It generates a lot more heat than my other displays as well.

L2 lvl4, L3 Scholars, L4 Scholars, L5 Platinum,  L6 Collectors. L7 Baptist Portfolio. L8 Baptist Platinum.

Posts 3942
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 22 2014 7:19 PM

Congrats though, it is quite the system.

Posts 74
James Ogle | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 22 2014 7:20 PM

Beer

Yes

Championship! 

Posts 179
Matthew Langlois | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 22 2014 7:22 PM

Thanks abonservant.  Yeah, I wanted a setup that could take DX11 gaming at 4k.  Overkill for most other stuff, but I do do that type of gaming in addition to doing dutiful searches in the name of God and His word. :)

Posts 3942
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 22 2014 7:28 PM

Matthew Langlois:

Thanks abonservant.  Yeah, I wanted a setup that could take DX11 gaming at 4k.  Overkill for most other stuff, but I do do that type of gaming in addition to doing dutiful searches in the name of God and His word. :)

There was a time when I'd have been in the same position. But seminary keeps me busy. As does the pastorate. I've found I don't miss it, and have filled my life with other things. Not that I am against video games you understand, just that there isn't time for that in my life at this juncture.

What games do you play?

Posts 179
Matthew Langlois | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 22 2014 7:35 PM

That is fantastic you are in seminary!  I can see how you don't have time for it anymore.  After getting this though, I better make time for it, in addition to learning Koine, Syriac, Coptic and various other ancient eastern languages. :) 

I play Crysis 3, and will do so at 4K on ultra settings, and various FPS and CRPGs, such as Baldur's gate, NWN1 and NWN2 series.  I recently got Wasteland 2.  I enjoy city builder games like Anno 1404, 2070, etc.  I also enjoy the Grand Strategy genre, and Paradox Interactive makes great games like Europa Universalis IV, and Crusader Kings 2.  Also enjoy RTS games as well. 

Being an avid Logos 5 user, and gamer seems pretty natural to me. :P

I thought about the seminary, but that would be a true about face for me as I am a Roman Catholic. :)

Posts 4889
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 22 2014 7:42 PM

Good for you! Obscene specs...one of these days! Back in 2001, right after 9/11, I decided to burn off some terrorist-induced steam and purchased a copy of the original Ghost Recon, which by chance came out a month or so after the event. It was the cutting edge of tactical shooters at the time...O.S.-O.K....none of this arcade-ish magazine emptying to get the job done. I had avoided computer games up to that point, but I was working out of town at the time and needed something to do after hours. My laptop was not even supposed to be able to run the program according to specs, but it did anyway. I got to be pretty good at the time. I even once took out a whole clan by myself, while everyone else on my team died except for one guy who was getting hit and was about to expire when I plinked the last guy. I remember the whole match...tense stuff. Map 13, airport. Afterward, all the guys on my team said, "That was so smoooooth, smOOth!" smOOth was my game name.

I've gotten old and creaky since then...don't have the twitch reflex anymore. Haven't played anything for years. But I wouldn't mind trying out those dual vids so I could run a few monitors for Logos. Matt, let me borrow that for a few months?

Posts 179
Matthew Langlois | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 22 2014 7:49 PM

Hee hee, Paul.  That was a great story you told there.  Sounds like a tense battle you had for you to remember so vividly for all these years.  That is how life should be.  Do everything you can to get the most out of whatever it is that you do, be it sweeping rugs, gaming or uncovering hidden meaning in the Word by utilizing the great resources and client Logos provides us.

Logos is a resource hog though, no denying that.  But it is so worth it.  SSD wasn't enough of an upgrade for me, lol. :)

Posts 3942
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 22 2014 7:50 PM

Its easy to let Logos become a crutch for people who don't really want to learn the original languages. I know on a couple of occasions it was a temptation for me to break out one of the bibles with the greek text beneath the english words. BUT I'm glad I didn't succumb to that.

I am far enough out of the gaming loop that after crysis, the rest of the titles didn't ring any bells. Ghost Recon however I was familiar with (though not a player of), as it was based on a novelist I particularly enjoy.

The last game I bought was Sid Meyers civilization and colonization 3. *chuckle*. I still have the install cd's around here somewhere.

Posts 3942
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 22 2014 7:53 PM

Matthew Langlois:

I thought about the seminary, but that would be a true about face for me as I am a Roman Catholic. :)

As a protestant, I see nothing wrong with making an "about face".

Though I should say that I do believe that there are Catholics in heaven. So don't take my comment too seriously. I've met more than a few I am convinced I will see again one day.

Posts 179
Matthew Langlois | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 22 2014 7:53 PM

Sid Meyers Civ series and AOE2 and AOE3 and AOM all classics.  Love RTS.

Yes, you have to be careful about using the interlinears too much. :P

Posts 4889
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 22 2014 8:20 PM

Matthew Langlois:

Sid Meyers Civ series and AOE2 and AOE3 and AOM all classics.  Love RTS.

I never played any of the Civ series, but the one Sid Meiers game I did play was Alpha Centauri and it is still, I think, the highest scoring game ever reviewed by PC Gamer.

Posts 1869
LogosEmployee
Phil Gons (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 22 2014 10:06 PM

Sweet machine! That's probably the fasting rig running Logos anywhere. You should get an award. :)

Matthew Langlois:
would much prefer a 4k display at 60Hz  at around 30 inches.

You might want to keep an eye on Dell's forthcoming 5K, which will require two DP 1.2 connectors or one (forthcoming) DP 1.3. It's 5120x2880, 4 times the resolution of 2560x1440, amounting to 14,745,600 pixels. That's 78% more pixels than a 4K monitor, which is 3840x2160 and 8,294,400 pixels.

I had two Seiki 39" 4Ks and would have liked them were in not for the dead pixels and 30Hz refresh rate. Returned them both and decided to wait until HDMI 2.0 support or inclusion of DP 1.2 or higher, which is coming in the second-gen models.

Matthew Langlois:
A single 4K monitor (not talking TVs with terrible refresh rates or >1ms reponse times) will have such high pixel density that my screen real estate will be 4x that of a normal 1080p monitor.

Technically, yes. But I doubt you'd actually use it that way. With more pixels in the same monitor size you can either view more things at a much smaller size (which would most likely be too small to be usable) or view the same number of things at a higher pixel density. If you're looking at a 27–30" monitor, you're likely not going to get increased real estate but increased clarity. If you want the effective real estate of 4 22" 1080p monitors, you'd want something more like a 40" monitor, which Seiki will be creating.

Posts 1869
LogosEmployee
Phil Gons (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 22 2014 10:13 PM

abondservant:
4k is nice, but it doesn't make the text in Logos any clearer :).

Not true. It absolutely will, and IMO it makes all the difference. I love reading text on my HTC One with 468.68 PPI and on my retina MBP with 226.42 PPI. It's hard to go back to 82.33 PPI 28" 1920x1200s or even my 108.79 PPI 27" 2560x1440. Crisp text is so much nicer to read. I played with the LG G3 in the store, and its 534.04 PPI was beautiful. I'm looking forward to affordable 4K, 5K, and eventually 8K monitors.

Page 1 of 2 (30 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS