Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
This post has 14 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 39
David | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Jan 7 2010 9:17 PM

Hello:

I'm new to Logos.  Just purchased the Scholar's Silver and am thinking of upgrading to the Platinum, but noticed that my Logos ran quickly until I started adding so many tabs.  Now I know that if I remove tabs, it will run quicker, but I prefer not to remove the tabs as they are very helpful where they are.

Kindly advise on what I should do to speed up Logos.  I have a quad-core, 3.6Ghz AMD processor with 4GB of RAM and 64-bit OS, along with 4 Terabytes of HD space.

Will a simple upgrade to 8GB of RAM increase the speed to any great degree or do you think I will see only a slight increase.

Your ideas and advice is greatly appreciated.

For those of you who have the Platinum package, kindly also advise if you feel it is worth the additional $$.

Thank you kindly.

In Christ.

David

Posts 3727
BillS | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 7 2010 9:27 PM

Hi David,

IMO, your config looks fine for L4. More RAM always will give some more speed, so will a fast disk, & so will a better graphics card. But as to how much? Jury's out... Check out this thread: http://community.logos.com/forums/t/9087.aspx .

Also, many posters have commented that Platinum is probably the best value (price/book) on the upgrades. You did good...

Welcome, & Blessings!

Grace & Peace,
Bill

MSI GF63 8RD, I-7 8850H, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD, 2TB HDD, NVIDIA GTX 1050Max
iPhone 12 Pro Max 512Gb
Fire 10HD 64GB 7th Gen

Posts 19121
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 7 2010 9:30 PM

David, there's a whole page on the Wiki with tips about how to speed up Logos on your particular machine. Here it is: http://wiki.logos.com/Logos_Running_Slowly

Posts 3727
BillS | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 7 2010 9:33 PM

Rosie Perera:

David, there's a whole page on the Wiki with tips about how to speed up Logos on your particular machine. Here it is: http://wiki.logos.com/Logos_Running_Slowly

Thanks, Rosie! Forgot about the Wiki page.... Embarrassed

Grace & Peace,
Bill

MSI GF63 8RD, I-7 8850H, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD, 2TB HDD, NVIDIA GTX 1050Max
iPhone 12 Pro Max 512Gb
Fire 10HD 64GB 7th Gen

Posts 1145
William | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 7 2010 10:12 PM

David:

For those of you who have the Platinum package, kindly also advise if you feel it is worth the additional $.

I have just moved from the original languages version 3 to the Platinum level four.  I was looking around the "scholar's" packages as I was contemplating this Learning Greek and Hebrew with Logos Software. (The $150 prepub or $500 regular video set)  I was comparing a few things like the number of commentaries and what sets.  It seemed to me to be quite some big commentary sets were available platinum and not below.  The other consideration that I had was the BDAG was recommended for this video set.  That book alone is $150.  I would think that $150 cost is a decent chunk of the upgrade cost.  Just my opinion though. 

William

Posts 10804
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 8 2010 4:55 AM

David:
For those of you who have the Platinum package, kindly also advise if you feel it is worth the additional $.

Short answer: YES. I just scrolled through the comparison chart, the major difference between the two is in commentary sets, BDAG, some Church history works, and the OT Pseudepigrapha. The price of these resources far far (that is very far) exceeds the price difference between the two packages. If you can afford it, go for it. For me, Platinum is the best priced package of all.

Posts 285
David Gullick | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 8 2010 5:54 AM

Your computer seems quite good. Provided its running properly (no viruses or messy hard drive), it should run it well. How many tabs do you have open? If you have multiple tabs of the same type of resource (i.e. dictionaries, commentaries, even Bibles etc)  you can instead use the right and left arrow keys to scroll through resources of the same type that have the same kind of information your looking for. Cuts down the open tabs, and hence speeds up your progress. I've done this for my commentaries and dictionaries, and now don't have as many bibles open, instead I use the text comparson tool.   See my tag for my computer specs, yours PC is better, but my standard setup works fine for me.

If your not already aware note you can collapse sections of the passage guide. If you close them all, next time you load the passage guide they will be collapsed - meaning they will only load when you drop it down - making things faster

I upgraded from Gold to Platinum, for me i was well worth it.  Look through the upgrade products yourself though, as others on the forum say, its only worth it if your going to use it.

Logos Platinum

Windows 7 - 64 Bit
Lenovo laptop E520 i7-2640M, 2.8GHz 8G Ram, 2G Graphics

Australia

Posts 261
Ralph A. Abernethy III | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 8 2010 7:04 AM

"If your not already aware note you can collapse sections of the passage guide. If you close them all, next time you load the passage guide they will be collapsed - meaning they will only load when you drop it down - making things faster"

Great tip, David.  I will definitely start doing that.  Using the L4 passage guide is the most time-consuming, cpu/memory-intensive process on my little netbook.

Thanks!

RAA

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 8 2010 7:50 AM

And another tip is make your own passage guide...get rid of those parts you don't use anyway..

When you make your own EG...choose "show only these parts of speech" in the word by word section...and then don't check any of the sections...that way only when you click on a word does it parse it....

very cool....

Robert Pavich

For help go to the Wiki: http://wiki.logos.com/Table_of_Contents__

Posts 261
Ralph A. Abernethy III | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 8 2010 8:55 AM

So much to learn, so little time. . .  Thanks for the expert advice from so many on this forum.

RAA

Posts 261
Ralph A. Abernethy III | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 8 2010 9:29 AM

"And another tip is make your own passage guide...get rid of those parts you don't use anyway.."

Robert, that sped things up remarkably for me.  Thank you.

RAA

Posts 847
Praiser | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 8 2010 9:41 AM

JackCaviness:

David:

Short answer: YES. I just scrolled through the comparison chart, the major difference between the two is in commentary sets, BDAG, some Church history works, and the OT Pseudepigrapha. The price of these resources far far (that is very far) exceeds the price difference between the two packages. If you can afford it, go for it. For me, Platinum is the best priced package of all.

Absolutely agree!

Posts 27
R. Jason Bartholow | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 8 2010 9:44 AM

Regarding Platinum, it really depends on how you use Logos. I needed the Pillar Commentary for college, so I just decided to pay a little extra and get the Plantinum upgrade instead of only getting the Pillar Commentary by itself. I thought there were enough other interesting resources to justify it - and the upgrade seemed to provide a lot of bang for you buck when it comes to resources. But if there's nothing that you think you have to have in Platinum, just stick with Gold and use the upgrade $ to buy specific resources you really want. My 2 cents...

In Christ,

Jason

Posts 1539
Terry Poperszky | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 8 2010 9:50 AM

R. Jason Bartholow:
Regarding Platinum, it really depends on how you use Logos.

Ditto, I looked at the gold to Platinum upgrade and I couldn't find anything "I" would use. Other people's mileage may vary.

Posts 582
Gary O'Neal | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 8 2010 3:13 PM

Terry Poperszky:

R. Jason Bartholow:
Regarding Platinum, it really depends on how you use Logos.

Ditto, I looked at the gold to Platinum upgrade and I couldn't find anything "I" would use. Other people's mileage may vary.

I agree. BDAG did it for me. With a student discount I upgraded from L3 Scholars:Gold to Platinum for about the same price I would have staying with Gold and adding BDAG. If I had paid full price, I probably would have stayed with Gold.

πάντα εἰς δόξαν θεοῦ ποιεῖτε

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS