New Home Page Design

Page 1 of 2 (26 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 25 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 6463
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Sep 26 2014 11:04 AM

The links are gone from the top of the page. They are now located under your acount.

Everything ever written in Religion and Theology formatted for Logos Bible Software.Logos Youtube Channel

Posts 2694
Erwin Stull, Sr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 26 2014 11:18 AM

I have noticed that also. I generally use the Logos home page and then jump to the Forums, Vyrso, etc. It is now no longer that straightforward.

Posts 5588
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 26 2014 11:20 AM

Lynden Williams:
They are now located under your acount.

The Forums link isn't though.  It's only found in the Support menu.

Wiki Links: Enabling Logging / Detailed Search Help - MacBook Pro (2014), ThinkPad E570

Posts 6463
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 26 2014 11:29 AM

Todd Phillips:

Logical place for it to be. For the first time user, no problem. For those accustomed to looking to the top of the page? Angry

I'm good with it as it is.

Everything ever written in Religion and Theology formatted for Logos Bible Software.Logos Youtube Channel

Posts 86
J David Shuttleworth | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 26 2014 12:06 PM

Change is good!! Embrace the change!! Without change we would nit be God's Kids!!

Bless!!

Posts 4559
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 26 2014 12:59 PM

I knew I couldn't be the first one to notice this. There is...*ahem* was...a perfectly good reason for those things to be where they are were. They are in a highly utilitarian spot that reduces the need for unnecessary mouse work. The new "design"...not so much. Like Yeishuu`a, I prefer and advocate the old way. Lk. 5:39 NIV

Posts 18201
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 26 2014 10:39 PM

Todd Phillips:

Lynden Williams:
They are now located under your acount.

I find this annoying. I get to the forums through the Logos home page too. Now it's an extra mouse click and hover-and-find-the-menu-item away. I don't have space on my browser toolbar for another shortcut button. Plus it breaks the nice consistency that had developed between all the Logos sites. I'm sure this is part of the move towards the new Faithlife branding, to avoid a proliferation of links up there. But I'd like to register my dislike of the change. I do embrace most change, but this one is annoying for frequent Forum visitors. I'm becoming less and less of one lately, though, so I guess it doesn't matter all that much in the grand scheme of things...

Posts 184
LogosEmployee
Dan Pritchett | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 26 2014 10:59 PM

There's a nice link to the forums at the bottom of Logos.com in the first section entitled "Logos Sites".

Posts 18201
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 26 2014 11:48 PM

Dan Pritchett:

There's a nice link to the forums at the bottom of Logos.com in the first section entitled "Logos Sites".

That's even worse than using the Support menu. Have to scroll twice with my mouse scroll wheel to get down there, and then move my mouse pointer down to the bottom of the screen from where it was when I just clicked my Logos shortcut icon.

Posts 24851
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 27 2014 1:31 AM

Dan Pritchett:

I get that far on the home page once or twice a year when I get curious how many sites of been added since I last bothered to look ... or to update the Reading LIst

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 1873
Alan Macgregor | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 27 2014 1:59 AM

Rosie Perera:
find this annoying. I get to the forums through the Logos home page too. Now it's an extra mouse click and hover-and-find-the-menu-item away. I don't have space on my browser toolbar for another shortcut button. Plus it breaks the nice consistency that had developed between all the Logos sites. I'm sure this is part of the move towards the new Faithlife branding, to avoid a proliferation of links up there. But I'd like to register my dislike of the change. I do embrace most change, but this one is annoying for frequent Forum visitors. I'm becoming less and less of one lately, though, so I guess it doesn't matter all that much in the grand scheme of things...

Rosie

You have articulated my feelings exactly.

… as for Dan's handy tip – both MJ and you said it! It is harder to scroll plus I hardly ever look at the bottom of the page.

Sad

Every blessing

Alan

iMac Retina 5K, 27": 4GHz; 16GB RAM;MacOS 10.12.2; 1TB FD; Logos 7

MacBook Air 13.3": 1.8GHz; 4GB RAM; MacOS 10.12.2; 256GB SSD; Logos 7

iPad Pro 32GB WiFi iOS 10.2

iPhone 5s 32GB iOS 10.2

Posts 5588
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 27 2014 8:27 AM

I think everyone should add a bookmark to the forums.  Then it's only one click!

I have bookmarks to both the Topics page and the Your Discussions page.

Plus the internal forums navigation has always been fairly poor, so bookmarks bypass all that.

Wiki Links: Enabling Logging / Detailed Search Help - MacBook Pro (2014), ThinkPad E570

Posts 1643
LogosEmployee
Phil Gons (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 27 2014 11:00 AM

Good web design helps guide people along a path and minimizes distraction. Based on our data, the family bar was a distraction for many. We understand that it was a convenient tool for navigating to our family of sites for some. We weighed the pros and cons and decided to experiment with no family bar. The data will tell us whether we made the right decision or not.

In the meantime, there are plenty of really easy ways to jump to the forums:

1. Hover on Support; click on Forums. It's still just one click away, even if a quarter of a second longer than before.
  2. Add a bookmark; click on it.
  3. Control + t (or l to stay in the same tab), c, o, enter (may vary depending on your browser, and sites you visit frequently).
  4. Control + t or l, f, enter. (To do this, you'll need to set up a shortcut key. In Chrome, you'll need to set the forums up as a search engine. Right click in the address bar, select "Edit search engines," scroll to the bottom at add new new search engine, and use f or the letter of your choice as the keyword.)

Keyboard shortcuts are often way faster than using your mouse anyway. :)

Posts 24851
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 27 2014 11:26 AM

Phil Gons:
Keyboard shortcuts are often way faster than using your mouse anyway. :)

Assuming your hands are on or near the keyboard :-)

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 1128
Keith Larson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 27 2014 11:32 AM

The net result of this for me is I am going to replace the Logos Home Page short cut on my tool bar with a shortcut to the forums, since I visit the latter far more frequently. I don't think this is the type of behavior you were aiming for! Wish you the best on you new design, not working well for me.

Posts 1643
LogosEmployee
Phil Gons (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 27 2014 11:56 AM

Keith Larson:

The net result of this for me is I am going to replace the Logos Home Page short cut on my tool bar with a shortcut to the forums, since I visit the latter far more frequently. I don't think this is the type of behavior you were aiming for! Wish you the best on you new design, not working well for me.

Does option 1 not work for you? If so, can you help me understand why? What's not working for you with the new design? Is it just that it's different?

Do you not have room for two shortcuts in your toolbar?

Posts 9379
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 27 2014 12:45 PM

I use a single short cut to the forum link that doesn't have all the forums listed.  From thense, Logos.com, etc.  It saves me a lot of unnecessary expensive rabbit trails among the book shelves.  So I'm guessing that was Logos' aim, trying to save customers money.

But while testing out Phil's hovering (on an iPad), I accidentally clicked on the 'programs' at Logos.  I assumed they'd be co-ops with seminaries, pastor participation, bicycle repair in Bellingham, etc. similar to Target's programs. I never dreamed it'd be 'books'.  But maybe that was also the goal.  Too much customer purchasing can be a real headache.

Posts 20219
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 27 2014 3:00 PM

Hi Phil

Phil Gons:
Hover on Support; click on Forums. It's still just one click away, even if a quarter of a second longer than before.

Just to point out that this "hover on support" mechanism doesn't work on mobile devices such as iPads where you can't really "hover" over something - so there you need two taps.

Phil Gons:
Keyboard shortcuts are often way faster than using your mouse anyway.

Same comment about mobile devices applies here.

It's not a big deal for me but thought it worth pointing out.

Graham

Posts 203
David Salazar | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 27 2014 6:54 PM

i just start typing in the url box  comm(unity.logos.com/forums/TopicsActive.aspx?ForumID=) usually by the 2nd or 3rd letter it gives me the full url and i just hit enter and I'm there.  Works on my 3 browsers: IE, Firefox and Chrome.

Posts 273
Mark Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 27 2014 7:31 PM

Wrong decision

Page 1 of 2 (26 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS