The Collected Shorter Writings of J. I. Packer

Page 1 of 2 (37 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 36 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 2691
Forum MVP
Ted Hans | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Jan 8 2010 5:25 PM
I would love to see more of Packer's books in Logos. I am surprised that few of his books are available. My paper copy carries Paternoster as the publishers and i believe Logos have a good partnership with them. Anyone else interested in seeing more of JI in Logos?

1. Celebrating the Saving Work of God: Volume 1 (J.I. Packer Collection) by J.i. Packer
  2. Serving the People of God: Volume 2 (J.I. Packer Collection) by J.i. Packer
  3. Honouring the Written Word of God: The Collected Shorter Writings of J. I. Packer by James I. Packer
  4. Honouring the People of God: Volume 4 (J.I. Packer Collection) by J.i. Packer
  Thanks   Ted

Dell, studio XPS 7100, Ram 8GB, 64 - bit Operating System, AMD Phenom(mt) IIX6 1055T Processor 2.80 GHZ

Posts 706
Russ Quinn | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 8 2010 5:38 PM

Knowing God

Posts 18651
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 8 2010 5:47 PM

+1 Yes

I have the print edition of his shorter writings (all 4 volumes). Packer was one of my profs at Regent College. I'd love to see more of his stuff in Logos. I can't believe they don't have Knowing God yet! Such a classic. Here are more I'd recommend:

• A Quest for Godliness: The Puritan Vision of the Christian Life
  • God Has Spoken
  • "Fundamentalism" and the Word of God
  • Praying: Finding Our Way Through Duty to Delight

Also, I'd like to see Alistair McGrath's J. I. Packer: A Biography.

Posts 2691
Forum MVP
Ted Hans | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 8 2010 5:52 PM

Rosie Perera:

• God Has Spoken

Knowing God

YesYesYes

Dell, studio XPS 7100, Ram 8GB, 64 - bit Operating System, AMD Phenom(mt) IIX6 1055T Processor 2.80 GHZ

Posts 13
LogosEmployee
Johnny Cisneros | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 8 2010 5:52 PM

I got to take systematics from Packer.  What a legend!  

Thanks for the book suggestions...we'll see what we can do.

Posts 2691
Forum MVP
Ted Hans | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 8 2010 5:57 PM

Rosie, i hear your Prof. Packer is writing a 3 volume Systematic Theology any info on that?

Ted

Posts 706
Russ Quinn | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 8 2010 5:59 PM

Ted Hans:

Rosie Perera:

• God Has Spoken

Knowing God

YesYesYes

I would have to say that Packer's Knowing God is the most influential book on my life and theology written by someone who has lived in my lifetime.

The Lord put it in my path at just the right time in my life.

Every chapter is incredible but the chapters on God as Father and God Incarnate are hard to beat.

Posts 18651
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 8 2010 9:15 PM

jcisneros@logos.com:

I got to take systematics from Packer.  What a legend!  

jcisneros, did you go to Regent? When were you there? Would I know you? (I was there 1996-2004, and still hang around sometimes and audit stuff.)

Ted Hans:

Rosie, i hear your Prof. Packer is writing a 3 volume Systematic Theology any info on that?

Yes, I understand he is working on what will be his magnum opus. I haven't been in to the college much these days since I'm an alum, and I haven't seen Packer in months, so I haven't asked how it's coming along, and I haven't heard any news through the grapevine. We all hope he finishes it before something finishes him! Smile  He is still teaching at 83. What a guy!

Posts 692
Otto S. Carroll | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 8 2010 9:48 PM

Russ Quinn:

Knowing God

Knowing God is already available in Logos (besides my Bible, no other book has influenced my life like Knowing God)

15" rMBP 2.6 GHz i7 | 16 GB RAM | 1.0 TB Flash Drive | OS X 10.12.3 | Logos 7.0 (7.3.0.0062)

Posts 692
Otto S. Carroll | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 8 2010 9:57 PM

Rosie Perera:

+1 Yes

I have the print edition of his shorter writings (all 4 volumes). Packer was one of my profs at Regent College. I'd love to see more of his stuff in Logos. I can't believe they don't have Knowing God yet! Such a classic. Here are more I'd recommend:

• God Has Spoken

Maybe they're not being offered by Logos any more, but I have Knowing God and A Quest for Godliness in my L4 library, as well as Concise Theology, Growing in Christ, and A Passion for Faithfulness by J.I Packer.

15" rMBP 2.6 GHz i7 | 16 GB RAM | 1.0 TB Flash Drive | OS X 10.12.3 | Logos 7.0 (7.3.0.0062)

Posts 18651
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 8 2010 10:07 PM

Otto S. Carroll:

Maybe they're not being offered by Logos any more, but I have Knowing God and A Quest for Godliness in my L4 library, as well as Concise Theology, Growing in Christ, and A Passion for Faithfulness by J.I Packer.

I have Concise Theology and Growing in Christ which are still available. Turns out A Quest for Godliness and A Passion for Faithfulness are too. I hadn't noticed and hadn't bought them yet.

There is also The Theology of the Christian Life in J.I. Packer's Thought by Don J. Payne, which I do have.

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 8 2010 10:10 PM

Otto S. Carroll:

Knowing God is already available in Logos (besides my Bible, no other book has influenced my life like Knowing God)

I am jealous Otto.  I've got 3300+ resources but not this one. Like you say, this book has had a profound influence on my life as well.

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 18651
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 8 2010 10:18 PM

Matthew C Jones:

Otto S. Carroll:

I am jealous Otto.  I've got 3300+ resources but not this one. Like you say, this book has had a profound influence on my life as well.

Yeah, I'm envious, too. Otto also has the Columbia Encyclopedia which was discontinued. Let's see Otto. Do you also have the other discontinued product I wish I could get? The Encyclopedia of the Reformed Faith. It was on the Logos 3.0 disk but I never got around to purchasing and unlocking it. And now it's too late. Tried it from L3 the other day and it said "this item cannot be purchase."

Posts 13
LogosEmployee
Johnny Cisneros | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 8 2010 10:25 PM

Rosie Perera:

jcisneros, did you go to Regent? When were you there? Would I know you? (I was there 1996-2004, and still hang around sometimes and audit stuff.)

Yeah, I went to Regent (on campus from 2005-2008).  I don't think you'd know me...I commuted from Bellingham so I didn't get a chance to hang out much with folks.

Posts 692
Otto S. Carroll | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 8 2010 10:32 PM

Rosie Perera:
Do you also have the other discontinued product I wish I could get? The Encyclopedia of the Reformed Faith. It was on the Logos 3.0 disk but I never got around to purchasing and unlocking it. And now it's too late. Tried it from L3 the other day and it said "this item cannot be purchase."

Yes... I knew about Columbia being discontinued (I responded to an email announcing the last chance to get it). But I had no idea that the others are no longer available.

Posts 692
Otto S. Carroll | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 8 2010 10:47 PM

You may want to check the sites of Logos' publishing partners for Knowing God - my account history show that I bought the Columbia Encyclopedia and the Encyclopedia of the Reformed Faith from Logos in 2006, but there's no record of me purchasing Knowing God from Logos. I can't remember where I got it...

Posts 2691
Forum MVP
Ted Hans | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 9 2010 2:56 AM

Rosie Perera:

Yeah, I'm envious, too. Otto also has the Columbia Encyclopedia which was discontinued. Let's see Otto. Do you also have the other discontinued product I wish I could get? The Encyclopedia of the Reformed Faith. It was on the Logos 3.0 disk but I never got around to purchasing and unlocking it. And now it's too late. Tried it from L3 the other day and it said "this item cannot be purchase."

Rosie, if you are interested here is a link to get the Encyclopedia of the Reformed Faith  http://www.discountbible.com/bible-study-software/libronix.html

Ted

Posts 18651
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 9 2010 3:08 AM

Ted Hans:

Rosie, if you are interested here is a link to get the Encyclopedia of the Reformed Faith  http://www.discountbible.com/bible-study-software/libronix.html

Thank you, kind sir!  Now if only I could find someone still selling the Columbia Encyclopedia, I'd be all set!

Posts 2691
Forum MVP
Ted Hans | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 9 2010 3:20 AM

Rosie Perera:

Thank you, kind sir!  Now if only I could find someone still selling the Columbia Encyclopedia, I'd be all set!

I will have to fight you to get it first Smile, i am still searching for a copy. Otto is a blessed guy, i cannot find Packer on Knowing GodSad. With all the amount of resources i have in my Logos library, strange that i am missing some Logos products! Well, only discovered Logos in 2007.

Ted

Posts 18651
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 9 2010 3:37 AM

Ted Hans:

With all the amount of resources i have in my Logos library, strange that i am missing some Logos products! Well, only discovered Logos in 2007.

Just for curiosity, how many resources do you have? I've known about Logos since 1991, pretty early on the timeline, before it was a commercial product (beta tested v0.9 for Bob & Keirnon back when we were all still working for Microsoft together). And I still have "only" 2383 of some 10,000 products that they have available. I've looked pretty thoroughly through the catalog, though, and most of the rest of what they offer is stuff I wouldn't want. However I'm still coming across surprises every once in a while, like those two books of Packer's that I hadn't known they had, and also I just ordered Bible Interpreters of the Twentieth Century.

Page 1 of 2 (37 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS