New Macs (including Minis)!

Page 1 of 1 (18 items)
This post has 17 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 27281
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Oct 16 2014 11:34 AM

I have been waiting to get a new Mac Mini... and they are finally here! I will have to wade through the details to make sure I get a large enough hard drive for Logos, photos, music, etc. Hopefully these will be somewhat upgradable. 

Anyone planning to get a new iMac with Retina 5K display? 

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 5244
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 16 2014 11:56 AM

I likely will get an iPad Air 2 in the new year... but I was disappointed there was not 256 GB option.

-Dan

Posts 27281
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 16 2014 12:00 PM

Dan Francis:
I was disappointed there was not 256 GB option.

What do you need with such a large drive?

Posts 796
LogosEmployee
Gabe Martini (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 16 2014 12:09 PM

Those minis get expensive fast. Nice to see they didn't kill them off, though.

Product Department Manager
Faithlife

Posts 27281
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 16 2014 12:26 PM

Gabe Martini:

Those minis get expensive fast. Nice to see they didn't kill them off, though.

Yeah. Looking at it now, it looks like they just dropped the price of the cheapest model... which is a great entry level for a Mac... Probably not for Logos. 

Posts 1602
Deacon Steve | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 16 2014 2:34 PM

I was somewhat underwhelmed by the Mini refresh.  All dual cores.  Not that it is a major disappointment, it's not.  But I would have thought the quad core cpu's would be an option.  Kind of a head-scratcher considering they were an option before.  Oh, well.

You have to admire and appreciate the mobile-desktop OS functionality integration ... plus iCloud ... it is the best, hands down.  Now even better.

... the iMac in 5K ... and the iPad Air 2 ... Nice!

Smile

Posts 172
LogosEmployee
Jonathan J Watson | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 17 2014 4:18 PM

I was disappointed to see they didn't start with a SSD option. 

Posts 796
LogosEmployee
Gabe Martini (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 17 2014 4:30 PM

Steve:

I was somewhat underwhelmed by the Mini refresh.  All dual cores.  Not that it is a major disappointment, it's not.  But I would have thought the quad core cpu's would be an option.  Kind of a head-scratcher considering they were an option before.  Oh, well.

I'm honestly surprised they kept them around, the more I think about it. Portables have come a long way, and as CPU architecture continues to shrink and reduce power, it will only get better.

I like being able to hook up to a 27" display when I'm doing detailed work (with my rMBP)—but then I can take it with me everywhere I go. The mini is chained to your desk.

Just my opinion, of course. Smile

Faithlife

Posts 5244
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 17 2014 5:12 PM

alabama24:

Dan Francis:
I was disappointed there was not 256 GB option.

What do you need with such a large drive?

Well I have a 64 GB 3 and have deleted much off it to keep using it.. I have no music on it (except the music in my hymnal programs). My next iPad would be nice to have not simply some of my music but all of it. My music library is 89 GB. The 128 will be fine but would be cool to have my entire music library on my iPad.

-Dan

Posts 27281
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 18 2014 2:41 PM

Dan Francis:
The 128 will be fine but would be cool to have my entire music library on my iPad.

Gotcha. I don't keep ANY music on my iPad... I keep my "most listened to" music on my iPhone and the rest on my mac. 

Posts 5244
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 18 2014 2:45 PM

alabama24:

Dan Francis:
The 128 will be fine but would be cool to have my entire music library on my iPad.

Gotcha. I don't keep ANY music on my iPad... I keep my "most listened to" music on my iPhone and the rest on my mac. 

Same here.

-dan

Posts 232
Charles | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 18 2014 6:08 PM

alabama24:
I have been waiting to get a new Mac Mini... and they are finally here! I will have to wade through the details to make sure I get a large enough hard drive for Logos, photos, music, etc. Hopefully these will be somewhat upgradable. 

When buying a Mini order it with as much memory as you feel is needed. The new Mini can not be upgraded with memory except only when pre-ordered from Apple.  The memory modules are soldered to the logic board same as the retina MacBook Pro machines..  Seems to be a going trend at Apple.

In Christ, 

Charles

2017 27" iMac 5K, Mojave, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, iOS 12.0, Catalina beta, iPadOS Beta  

Posts 2203
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 19 2014 6:56 PM

I've got the last gen Mini and plugged in 16GB RAM. I'd love to have it with a Fusion drive or an SSD, but it's still a speedy box and doesn't complain about all the music loaded in iTunes.

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Posts 27281
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 19 2014 7:14 PM

mab:
I've got the last gen Mini and plugged in 16GB RAM. I'd love to have it with a Fusion drive or an SSD, but it's still a speedy box and doesn't complain about all the music loaded in iTunes.

Can you give the specs on the one you have? Are you running Logos on it? Do you have any other macs to compare it to?

Posts 796
LogosEmployee
Gabe Martini (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 19 2014 8:04 PM

mab:

And the latest tests are showing the new minis have slower multi-core performance than the previous generation. Go figure!

Faithlife

Posts 138
LogosEmployee
Clifford Kvidahl | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 19 2014 8:15 PM

I recently bought a refurbished mini and like it quite a bit! I had a second SSD put in—I would not recommend trying to do this yourself, there is not a lot of room in these things!

Cliff

Posts 2203
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 19 2014 10:09 PM

alabama24:
Can you give the specs on the one you have? Are you running Logos on it? Do you have any other macs to compare it to?

Mine is a 2.3 GHz i7. There was one just a bit faster. 16GB ram. According to my system spec, about a GB is used for the graphics, Back when it was released, the Mini was tested as roughly comparable to the big Mac Pro of maybe two years prior. That's nice territory. 

If the new model is non-upgradeable, I'd get the same or the faster one and have it upgraded with a faster drive. 

I run Logos on it and it's fine. It gobbles RAM during indexing, but otherwise everything is pretty quick. Seems a bit faster with Yosemite but I can't be specific as how much.

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Posts 1281
toughski | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 20 2014 10:36 AM

drooling over 5K all-in-one Stick out tongue

Page 1 of 1 (18 items) | RSS