How do you sign out of an install?

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
This post has 4 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 30
Aaron Frey | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Jan 9 2010 6:05 AM

Hey, all!

This past week I did a number of presentations of Logos 4 in the Milwaukee area. One of them was at Northwestern Publishing House, where they had a better computer than the laptop I was carrying around with me. And since my MacBook was having issues at the time anyway, the rep from NPH and I decided we would just install Logos 4 on the local presentation computer, sign me into it, give it some time to download and index, and then sign me out when I was done with the presentation.

It worked like a charm at the presentation two days later. My library was ready and everything was beautifully synced. The only problem was that there was no way to simply sign out without my login information being saved on that machine. I held down Ctrl during startup and deleted my signin info, but that didn't seem to be enough. It still knew my info on the next startup. We finally signed in someone else who worked there and called it good, but I would still like to know if there was something else I could have done to just remove my login information from that computer.

Posts 18763
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 9 2010 6:15 AM

What about uninstalling Logos completely? It sounds like it wasn't installed on their presentation computer before you showed up, so it probably would have been best not to leave the software installed on their machine afterwards (licensing legality and all), even though there was someone else who worked there who had a Logos account. They might have had different resource licenses than you did. Of course they won't be able to access your resources logging in as them. But still. If they'd wanted to use Logos on that machine after you left, they could have reinstalled it for themselves.

Posts 30
Aaron Frey | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 9 2010 6:25 AM

As I'm sure you're aware, Logos licenses allow you to install on more than one computer that you work on. This would have been a computer that he worked on in the offices. Otherwise I would have just uninstalled it. Besides which, future presentations on that computer are a strong possibility.

Posts 18763
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 9 2010 7:07 AM

AaronFrey:

As I'm sure you're aware, Logos licenses allow you to install on more than one computer that you work on. This would have been a computer that he worked on in the offices. Otherwise I would have just uninstalled it. Besides which, future presentations on that computer are a strong possibility.

Ah, I didn't realize it was a computer you are likely to work on again. In that case of course it makes sense to leave it installed for next time you're using that same computer. I thought you were just doing a one-off demo for a client.

Yes, I knew that you can install on multiple computers. But it's per user, so if he worked on Logos on that same computer, he would have to have his own installation of it, separate from yours. You're not really supposed to log two people in through the same installation. That's why Logos installs all its resources in your User directory in Windows (different people have different resources, depending on what package they bought and what other books they've added on). I know the duplicate resources take up space, but that is Logos's stated policy. Multiple users can't share the same installation on the same computer....legally. Here's Bob Pritchett's take on the matter: http://community.logos.com/forums/p/341/3265.aspx#3265

I'm not trying to be a pain about this. I merely thought you wanted a way to clean up all traces of your having logged on and used Logos on that computer as I thought you weren't likely coming back to it.

Posts 30
Aaron Frey | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 9 2010 3:14 PM

Yeah, I think getting overly technical about this particular use is doing the kind of overboard ethical and legal wrangling that Bob is trying to avoid. Nobody there can use my account. The other account we used to sign in with was more of a quick way out of having someone use my account as I ran to my next appointment rather than an attempt to rob Logos and their publishing partners out of due wages. Plus the point of installing it was to show off the software to potential buyers. I don't think Logos or any of her partners would want to get too technical under those conditions.

Although, in retrospect, uninstalling may have been the smarter thing to do. Oh, well. Like I said, I'll probably be back to do another demonstration (*cough*salespitch!*cough*) later in the year. Perhaps I'll uninstall it after that one. Otherwise I can just tell my buddy there to kill it. In the meantime, though, nobody's going to try to casually use Logos for study on the machine they have in the conference room at NPH. It's just too hard to work on unless you're standing there for a presentation.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS