How to Prepare for the Massive Update (Oct 26)

Page 1 of 3 (58 items) 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 57 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 24930
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Oct 24 2014 4:14 AM

1. Hard Drive Space

Minimum free space is: (size of your resources folder* + 10 GB)

NB. drives need about 20% free space for performance reasons. So your 128 GB SSD should have at least 25 GB free even if your library size indicates you can get away with 18 GB.

2. Multiple Installations

Download to one installation, and scan** the resources into your other installation(s). Copy the resources to a removable drive if necessary.

3. Internet

You need to know if your download limit is going to be an issue, so you need to know the maximum download size:-

• if you have a Logos 5/Verbum base package and/or Logos 5 Crossgrade use: (size of your resources folder - 2.5 GB)
  • if you have the Logos 4 Crossgrade use: (size of your resources folder - 2.0 GB)
  • if you have a Logos 4 base package use: (size of your resources folder - 1.0 GB)
  • if you have no base package then use: (size of your resources folder)
  • SUBTRACT the size of your Personal Books (*.lbspbb files in the resources folder)
  • SUBTRACT the size of your Vyrso*** books (edition:ebook in Library)

I would guess that the expected download size will be 0.75x (3/4) of the maximum.

If the download size will exceed your limit, your realistic options are:-

1. purchase a higher limit for one month only and delay the download until the new limit is available.
    2. go to a good friend with a higher download limit!
    3. delay the download and scan** the resources from someone with a similar library to yours. After you restart Logos you can see how much is remaining to download

#3 is risky as the remaining download could still be over your limit.

4. Download Strategy

I recommend to manage the download by setting Automatically Download Updates to NO in the Program Settings of every installation so you can choose when to do it and also prevent other downloads from interrupting indexing. Make sure you have updated to the latest version of Logos 5.

On (or after) 'late' Oct 26:-

• make sure that your chosen installation is the only one that is active
  • let the download proceed when you are ready
  • immediately close Logos and do something else for a while
  • this should allow the indexing to proceed when the download completes (Mac?)
  • when complete update other installations using the scan command

* Resources are located at:-

• C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Logos5\Data\randomId\ResourceManager\Resources (PC); OR
  • /Users/username/Library/Application Support/Logos4/Data/randomId/ResourceManager/Resources (Mac)
  • for Verbum replace the folder Logos4 or Logos5 with Verbum.

** don't copy the resources but use the scan command (then restart Logos to begin discovery and indexing)

*** Vyrso books are logos4 format (*.logos4 files). They have a long random name like your PB's, so you could identify them that way in your Resources folder.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 2829
Don Awalt | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 24 2014 4:24 AM

Great write up thanks Dave!

One other choice for downloads - you may have local free WiFi in your area, you could go there and "camp out". In my areas, libraries have free wifi and don't mind you using it for things like this. Some malls have Wifi on the entire campus. Schools and church campuses have Wifi too.  Some places like Starbucks or coffee shops don't like you monopolizing their Wifi, other places it might work.

Posts 3938
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 24 2014 4:31 AM

my resource folder is 21gb. I won't complain if i have to download 19gb as I'm on an un-metered plan. but I would definitely want to intentionally choose when it starts (like at night when I'm not using it).

L2 lvl4, L3 Scholars, L4 Scholars, L5 Platinum,  L6 Collectors. L7 Baptist Portfolio. L8 Baptist Platinum.

Posts 2062
Forum MVP
Randy W. Sims | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 24 2014 4:48 AM

Don, I'm not sure of the etiquette on downloading that large of an update on public wifi. For libraries, schools, churches, I definitely would ask first. It could interfere with other users.

Posts 1150
Anthony H | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 24 2014 5:26 AM

Thanks Dave!  Yes

Posts 19
Rick Cabral | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 24 2014 6:07 AM

what's going to be on the update?

Posts 2764
Erwin Stull, Sr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 24 2014 7:18 AM

Thanks Dave

I produced a document of your instructions (in PDF format) in it's entirety for those that may want it. Smile

Thanks again.

4722.Logos 5 Massive Update 10-26-2014.pdf

Posts 27681
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 24 2014 7:41 AM

Rick Cabral:

what's going to be on the update?

see here: https://blog.logos.com/2014/10/new-logos-5-update-smart-selection/ 

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 8946
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 24 2014 8:52 AM

Thanks Dave. Your suggestions are appreciated.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 10178
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 24 2014 9:10 AM

Alabama ... you probably didn't see that blog when it was first posted:

https://blog.logos.com/2014/10/new-logos-6-update-smart-selection/ 

It was corrected pretty quickly.   (Well, gee, how do you trick-or-treat on the internet?)

Posts 414
George | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 24 2014 9:48 AM

How will the update affect resources on mobile devices (Android and IOS)?

Posts 3938
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 24 2014 10:07 AM

I'm not looking forward to that bit George.

As this is done largely to help with mobile devices, I suspect they will be hard hit as well. Being a glutton for punishment, I'm downloading EVERY mobile resource I can (un-advised I know, but my cellphone can hold them all, would like to at least try it :) ). will be interesting to see. Am also running the beta on that device.

L2 lvl4, L3 Scholars, L4 Scholars, L5 Platinum,  L6 Collectors. L7 Baptist Portfolio. L8 Baptist Platinum.

Posts 27681
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 24 2014 10:13 AM

George:

How will the update affect resources on mobile devices (Android and IOS)?

I don't think it will.

Posts 1890
Donnie Hale | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 24 2014 11:34 AM

alabama24:
I don't think it will.

You don't think it will for downloaded mobile resources (i.e. available offline)? Or you don't think it will for cloud-delivered mobile resources? The latter makes sense. The former doesn't make sense. I can't imagine that Logos is going to have two versions of the resource, one with smart-select data and one without. If that's correct, then updated resources would mean we'd get a notification in the app(s) to download the updates.

Donnie

Posts 332
Steve Farson | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 24 2014 11:44 AM

How does "scan" work?  I have Logos 5 (Portfolio) on three PC's (A Windows PC and an iMac, MacBook).  In rural Colorado I do not have the fastest internet speeds.

Let's say I download the massive update on my Windows PC.  Do I copy the newly downloaded resources to a hefty SC card, plug the card into the Mac, and then point to and "scan" the SD card?

Thanks, Steve 

Posts 26530
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 24 2014 11:54 AM

yup, that's what you do Steve

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 24930
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 24 2014 1:44 PM

Steve Farson:
Let's say I download the massive update on my Windows PC.  Do I copy the newly downloaded resources to a hefty SC card, plug the card into the Mac, and then point to and "scan" the SD card?

• Copy your Resources folder to the SD card.
  • Plug the card into the other computer
  • In the Command box type scan  D:\Resources  (PC) or scan SDdevice (Mac) --> D:\ is the SD Card drive and Resources is the folder
  • restart Logos

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 332
Steve Farson | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 24 2014 1:48 PM

Terrific.  Thanks MJ and Dave, for the help.

Posts 24930
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 25 2014 2:27 PM

Note: you can wait until Monday morning to initiate the download (with Automatically Download Updates = NO) rather than hanging around for a 'late' Sunday start.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 27681
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 25 2014 3:37 PM

Donnie Hale:
I can't imagine that Logos is going to have two versions of the resource, one with smart-select data and one without. If that's correct, then updated resources would mean we'd get a notification in the app(s) to download the updates.

I could be wrong (it's happened before Surprise. I <believe> I read at one point that Logos DOES have different versions of the resources for mobile. If they don't, then it will indeed be very troublesome for those who have downloaded their entire library (which again, I strongly recommend against). 

Page 1 of 3 (58 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS