New Feature: Label Entry

Page 2 of 3 (48 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 47 Replies | 10 Followers

Posts 853
Michael McLane | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 9 2014 8:13 AM

mike:

Andrew,

Can you guys make an instructional video for this?

Yes, I would very much like to understand this feature. However, I seem to be a bit challenged. I have never really used tagging, labeling, etc. (if they are even the same thing or similar). I do not understand the purpose of "attribute name", "value type", "default value", etc. Can these things be explained and maybe a few examples of how they would be used?

Thanks for any help.

Michael

EDIT: I did watch that video but cannot see the value or its use very clearly. After investing in it, what is the return? How can this be useful.

Posts 2081
LogosEmployee

Here is a more recent video from our YouTube channel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hi5Yy-sw9S0&index=22&list=PLXkjd_l1xkSQ5fM605M-F5xikKNGBdPvj

I hope that helps!

Posts 853
Michael McLane | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 9 2014 11:06 AM

Thanks, that really helps.

In the video, the "Labels" pallet had several labels. I wonder if that person, or others, would mind sharing the parameters of the labels they have created to help spur my own lack of imagination and forward thinking on this?

Also, I must say that the search seems a bit intimidating to remember all those operators.

Michael

Posts 24926
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 9 2014 4:23 PM

Andrew Batishko (Faithlife):
Here is a more recent video from our YouTube channel:

Andrew, the Labels item under All Bible Text in your search is misleading** because:-

• users will be looking for a Labels item as automatically defined; not realising it is a Palette name and that you include your labels that way, whereas a Label can be added to any existing palette/style;
  • you describe selecting the style as selecting the label; and
  • it isn't necessary because the {Label} search functions just as well with "All Bible Text" (or "All Text" in a Basic search)

Users should understand that you don't have to create a Palette/style to use Labels. Further, the same label can be added to any Highlight style in the Notes file, so that is probably the only time that restricting the search to a (label) style as you illustrate would be useful.

** I initially thought you were showing a new feature of the {Label} search, particularly when you didn't start with the curly braces!

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 24926
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 9 2014 4:28 PM

Michael McLane:
Also, I must say that the search seems a bit intimidating to remember all those operators.

It is intimidating and remembering is another thing! Hopefully, the search help I added for Logos 6 will be useful to you.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 2081
LogosEmployee

Dave, I'll pass your feedback on to the person who has been doing all our videos.

Posts 24926
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 9 2014 10:11 PM

Andrew Batishko (Faithlife):

Dave, I'll pass your feedback on to the person who has been doing all our videos.

Thanks, Andrew

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 412
StephenMcC | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 6 2015 2:21 PM

Dave Hooton:
Hopefully, the search help I added for Logos 6 will be useful to you.

Dave, this is so helpful.Thank you. I have added the page to my favourites bar

Posts 166
Danny Zacharias | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 9 2015 11:19 AM

I have labeled a few of my notes, but the Label section in the highlighting palette does not appear.

Also, is there anywhere that explains what "Attribute" and "value" are supposed to mean?

Beyond this forum post, I can't seem to find much info on this feature...

Posts 570
Schumitinu | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 10 2015 8:12 PM

Danny Zacharias:

Also, is there anywhere that explains what "Attribute" and "value" are supposed to mean?

Here is the best explanation I have found so far: https://community.logos.com/forums/p/93205/647728.aspx#647728

If you watch this video you can see it in action:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hi5Yy-sw9S0&index=22&list=PLXkjd_l1xkSQ5fM605M-F5xikKNGBdPvj

Danny Zacharias:

I have labeled a few of my notes, but the Label section in the highlighting palette does not appear.

Can you provide a screenshot and point to what exactly you are missing or wanting to see?

Posts 570
Schumitinu | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 14 2015 10:39 PM

How can I add a visible Label to a Bible reference?

I create Labels in the highlighting palettes. But those cannot be applied to a Bible reference. But I can attach a note to a reference and then add a label, but those labels don't show up?!?!?!

I'd like to label references so they show up across translations.

Posts 570
Schumitinu | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 18 2015 11:23 PM

Alright, it looks like I cannot attach a visible label to a reference since that requires highlighting. But can I still attach a label to a reference without a highlighting style? And if so, what is the easiest way to do it?

Posts 24926
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 19 2015 12:27 PM

Schumitinu:
Alright, it looks like I cannot attach a visible label to a reference since that requires highlighting. But can I still attach a label to a reference without a highlighting style?

It may not be visible but a search of Your Documents will find the label  e.g. {Label ByReference}. With a little ingenuity you can make use of the popup in the resource.

'Visible' Labels require text that is highlighted.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 570
Schumitinu | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 20 2015 1:54 AM

Dave, could you walk me through an example of how to attach a label to a reference so I see a popup in the resource?

Thanks

Posts 24926
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 20 2015 4:35 AM

The popup in the resource is simply the content of the annotation (note by reference)

I'm not sure how useful it is, but there you have it.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 3674
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 20 2015 7:55 AM

Makes one wonder if there should be additional sorting modes such as by tags or by label. It may be too complicated to implement (?), though it would be handy. 

Posts 570
Schumitinu | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 21 2015 2:37 AM

Thanks Dave,

So the pop-up is the actual note not the label. It would be nice if it worked for the label to show up in a pop-up as well. And it would be even nicer if a separate label feature would be available that can be pre-created (like in the highlighting styles) and be attached to references like notes showing a visual label.

I'll guess Ill stick to notes then. However, what I like with the labels is the form that comes up and gives you a pre-created list of attributes to choose from.

Posts 26502
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 21 2015 12:55 PM

Schumitinu:

So the pop-up is the actual note not the label. It would be nice if it worked for the label to show up in a pop-up as well. And it would be even nicer if a separate label feature would be available that can be pre-created (like in the highlighting styles) and be attached to references like notes showing a visual label.

Be sure to make a formal suggestion - on new features Faithlife pays attention to what we want as we go to use them in real "user life".

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 24926
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 21 2015 1:02 PM

MJ. Smith:

Schumitinu:

Be sure to make a formal suggestion - on new features Faithlife pays attention to what we want as we go to use them in real "user life".

I'll register this as a bug in the beta forum.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 21
Jeremy Priest | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 21 2015 4:18 PM

How can I get a list of all passages I labeled "x"?

Page 2 of 3 (48 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS