Page 4 of 6 (106 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next >
This post has 105 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 24852
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 30 2014 2:11 PM

BillS:
This is disappointing.

Hi Bill

I'm not sure if you are disappointed on behalf of myself (and others), or because of my comment. But my decision is whether to stay with Logos 5.3, revert to Windows 5.2b or go on to Logos 6 on two installations. That's not difficult for me but the choice(s) is much harder for others.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 2760
Erwin Stull, Sr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 30 2014 2:21 PM

I think that the future of 5.3 may be in a state of "Suspended Animation". Just as soon as I am able, I will be going for the L6 Feature Crossgrade. Given that the major upgrades occur about every 2 years, it is reasonable to stay current in the program (not necessarily in the resource upgrades). My thoughts. Smile

Posts 3003
David Taylor Jr | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 31 2014 5:41 AM

Erwin Stull, Sr.:

I think that the future of 5.3 may be in a state of "Suspended Animation". Just as soon as I am able, I will be going for the L6 Feature Crossgrade. Given that the major upgrades occur about every 2 years, it is reasonable to stay current in the program (not necessarily in the resource upgrades). My thoughts. Smile

The answer to that question is, it depends.  I know I know, dodgy answer.  But some of the new features require some resources and not just the datasets in order to get the full benefit.  For that reason, I went with the Extended Crossgrade, there are still some features that I should get some more resources for (mainly ancient texts) but all in all I have been satisfied.

Teacher, Ministry Leader, Student, Author, Husband

How to upload logs

Visit My Site: Reformed Truths

Posts 3659
BillS | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 31 2014 11:42 AM

Dave Hooton:

BillS:
This is disappointing.

Hi Bill

I'm not sure if you are disappointed on behalf of myself (and others), or because of my comment. But my decision is whether to stay with Logos 5.3, revert to Windows 5.2b or go on to Logos 6 on two installations. That's not difficult for me but the choice(s) is much harder for others.

Disappointed for you AND with you, because I had upgraded to 5.3 last beta also, anticipating that I'd save some time on going to the production release. Now, I'm stuck, as I'm financially not in a position to upgrade to 6. For all of us who trusted the process, it's disappointing.

Grace & Peace,
Bill

Asus GF63 8RD, I-7 8850H, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD, 2TB HDD, NVIDIA GTX 1050Max
Samsung S9+, 64GB
Fire 10HD 64GB 7th Gen

Posts 688
Jerry Bush | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 31 2014 11:56 AM

BillS:

[Now, I'm stuck, as I'm financially not in a position to upgrade to 6. For all of us who trusted the process, it's disappointing.

Yep. Same here.

Jerry

Win7 - - Intel Core i3, 530 @ 2 .93GHz - - 6GB RAM ATI Radeon HD Samsung 500GB SSD

Burning Bush Ministries

Posts 8601
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 31 2014 12:06 PM

Please take note that the future of 5.3 is now still being discussed.  

If I know anything about this company they'll do something good.  More than likely either by bringing out a Gold release or something better.

You're voice has been heard.

EDIT: Link to above in thread: https://community.logos.com/forums/p/92878/645128.aspx#645128

Truth Is Still Truth Even if You Don't Believe It

Check the Wiki

Warning: Sarcasm is my love language. I may inadvertently express my love to you.

Posts 749
Tim Hensler | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 31 2014 1:26 PM

Dear frustrated 5.3 beta testers,

I save money for future purchases.  I spent my wad last Friday when the Lexham Discourse Hebrew bundle had its final release. Expecting Logos 6 to come out next year, I was going to start saving for it now.  What a surprise to see it released the following Monday.  I too am left to wait before I can make my L6 purchase.

I feel your pain, but I don't share your sentiment.

I participated in the private beta testing for Logos 4 and have run beta versions of Logos Desktop ever since, testing and reporting bugs and participating in the forums when I have time.  It's lots of fun to play with the new toys and be able to participate in the development of a product used by so many Bible-minded/spirited people.  But there have been a few (very few and always very short) seasons of pain too.  (I once had to prepare a lesson the old fashioned way - printed books. I now have an Android table with Bible, FSB and Vyrso as my backup - Beta versions, of course.)

Faithlife never promised beta testers anything but the possibility that we might lose data, corrupt our computers and not be able to roll back to an earlier version (unless we remove everything Logos and start all over).  Beta testing is hazardous duty and has many different costs, including the probability of an occasional dead-end where you have to start all over.  (Prototypes/betas sometimes don't go to market. This is the first time I know of this happening with Logos).

Few companies have such an open and interactive beta program with their users - it really does make for a better product.  I'm glad I can participate.

I eagerly await Faithlife's decision about 5.3 so I can make my decision about how/when to move to L6.  I'm even looking forward to participating in the L6 public beta (you probably could have guessed that).

HP Pavilion Laptop PC; Windows 10 Home (64bit); i7-8565U @ 1.80GHz, 1.99GHZ ; 16GB of memory
Samsung Galaxy Tab A 10.1 (SM-T580) tablet; Android v8.1; Wi-Fi only; 16GB of storage; 32GB SD card.

Posts 2760
Erwin Stull, Sr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 31 2014 1:40 PM

David Taylor Jr:

Erwin Stull, Sr.:

The answer to that question is, it depends.  I know I know, dodgy answer.  But some of the new features require some resources and not just the datasets in order to get the full benefit.  For that reason, I went with the Extended Crossgrade, there are still some features that I should get some more resources for (mainly ancient texts) but all in all I have been satisfied.

In a few months, it probably won't matter much (with the release of the L6 free engine), except to the lowest end of systems currently running L5.

Posts 451
Mitchell | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 31 2014 2:45 PM

Tim Hensler:
Faithlife never promised beta testers anything but the possibility that we might lose data, corrupt our computers and not be able to roll back to an earlier version (unless we remove everything Logos and start all over).  Beta testing is hazardous duty and has many different costs, including the probability of an occasional dead-end where you have to start all over.  (Prototypes/betas sometimes don't go to market. This is the first time I know of this happening with Logos).

This is true. Logos has no formal obligation to provide a path forward to its beta testers. But at the same time, beta testing is a symbiotic relationship from which Logos stands to gain quite a bit. Whether they have to or not, it's in their best interests to keep their beta testers in mind when making business decisions. We beta users expect to be burned by technical issues, that's part of the deal, but being burned by a non-technical business decision caught most of us off guard.

Posts 165
Nick Highland | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 1 2014 12:27 PM

Is there a way to contact individuals on this forum?  If Bob is serious about selling, I might be interested in purchasing...  I know this isn't the place to do it, so I don't plan to attempt to navigate that here...  Just curious if there is a way to contact him.

Posts 26303
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 1 2014 1:34 PM

No, there isn't except perhaps via Faithlife.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 7983
LogosEmployee

Thank you all again for your feedback on this decision. I'm happy to announce that we will be delivering the free Logos 6 engine to all 5.3 beta testers as a small "thank you" for helping test the new 5.3 code (that forms part of the foundation of Logos 6).

This will be configured on our update servers within the next two weeks; I will post back here when it is available. You won't need to do anything to get it other than run 5.3 and let it check for updates.

As mentioned in the original post, the 5.3 beta programme is now closed; we are still planning no further 5.3 updates (and have removed the installer links since the beta is no longer active). The 6.0a beta programme will be starting soon, and (once you have downloaded 6.0) you can participate in it by running "set update channel to beta". (Please review the beta testing warnings and note that we recommend installing beta software on a dedicated testing machine.) If you don't want to run 6.0, you will need to refuse any future updates to 5.3 and/or downgrade to the stable version, Logos 5.2b.

Posts 13348
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 1 2014 2:12 PM

Bradley Grainger (Faithlife):
I'm happy to announce that we will be delivering the free Logos 6 engine to all 5.3 beta testers as a small "thank you" for helping test the new 5.3 code (that forms part of the foundation of Logos 6).

A good decision. I've bought 6, but I think this was the right thing to do for those who haven't. It will also act as a good test of whether L6 works correctly when the paid-for resources are missing. That's not really been tested yet, but this way it will be tested thoroughly before mass adoption.

Posts 1150
Anthony H | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 1 2014 3:48 PM

Bradley Grainger (Faithlife):

Thank you all again for your feedback on this decision. I'm happy to announce that we will be delivering the free Logos 6 engine to all 5.3 beta testers as a small "thank you" for helping test the new 5.3 code (that forms part of the foundation of Logos 6).

Bradley, I appreciate you looking into this and discussing it with the Logos teams involved.  

I've also gone ahead and purchased an upgrade to L6 along with some great deals on a few bundles.

Nevertheless I'm very please with the decision and I think it represents a sound choice.

Thanks again,

Anthony H

Posts 381
Danny Parker | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 1 2014 3:52 PM

A very nice solution. I still plan to upgrade with one of the new packages when my new book budget kicks in, but I think this is a very customer oriented approach and will enjoy getting to use the new engine while I wait.

Danny

Posts 504
Bob Deacon | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 1 2014 5:37 PM

Thank you very much. I am retired from the ministry and I no longer have any book account nor do I have the funds to make the jump to L6 but at least the new engine will help.

Bob Deacon

Dell Inspiron, Windows 10 Latest Update

MacBook Air (2017) Mojave

Ipad Air 2 (ios 8.2.1)

Motorola G6 Play (android 8.3.1)

Posts 688
Jerry Bush | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 2 2014 3:44 AM

Thanks, Bradley.

I am running 5.3 but changed my settings to stable versions. I assume I don't need to switch it back to beta to get this, correct? 

Jerry

Win7 - - Intel Core i3, 530 @ 2 .93GHz - - 6GB RAM ATI Radeon HD Samsung 500GB SSD

Burning Bush Ministries

Posts 144
Peter Lever | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 2 2014 4:32 AM

Todd White: "One thing that would be helpful as we continue to evaluate our decision is to know what about the current 5.3 beta you are dissatisfied with. Are there particular crashes or bugs new to 5.3 that we would need to address for you to consider it ready for release?"

I bought myself an extended cross-grade. Even if I did not, and the beta was fully functional, the abandoning of the beta is not a behavior I would associate with the Logos brand and the trust I always placed on it. I buy Logos Resources blindly. I bought Logos 6 without even wanting to know what is in it. Next time I jump into a beta, or buy something, I do not want Logos to have become a company that requires me to think hundred times to ensure my interests are taken care of. Thanks to the team for offering the engine for free to the beta testers! You guys and gals listen, and you have my trust and money again Smile

Posts 81
Daniel R. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 2 2014 8:36 AM

Bradley, 

First, thanks! 

Question, if I go ahead with the 6 engine upgrade, will I later be able to purchase the extended cross-grade? Or should I downgrade to 5.2 and then cross-grade when I can?

Thanks again.

May the Lord bless you and keep you.

Posts 3937
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 2 2014 9:08 AM

Daniel R. Smith:

Bradley, 

First, thanks! 

Question, if I go ahead with the 6 engine upgrade, will I later be able to purchase the extended cross-grade? Or should I downgrade to 5.2 and then cross-grade when I can?

Thanks again.

Having it didn't affect the price, or the upgrade/crossgrade options for me monday. I doubt very much it would change anything at any point for you either.

L2 lvl4, L3 Scholars, L4 Scholars, L5 Platinum,  L6 Collectors. L7 Baptist Portfolio. L8 Baptist Platinum.

Page 4 of 6 (106 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next > | RSS