How long will Logos.com be down?

Page 1 of 3 (50 items) 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 49 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 808
Kevin Maples | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Oct 27 2014 1:05 PM

Can any employee comment on how long they expect the website to be down? I haven't been able to see any of the new packages yet. 

Posts 26867
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 27 2014 1:11 PM

Given that they didn't expect to have to take it down and given their motivation to be up ASAP, it I were a Logos employee working on whatever the issue is, now is about the time I'd start barking at any manager who came to ask me when ii would be fixed. -- okay I only remember once when my bass  boss and I actually did loose our temper ...Smile

Note: given that my boss was a cellist I'm in double trouble.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 18726
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 27 2014 1:15 PM

MJ. Smith:
it I were a Logos employee working on whatever the issue is

If I were a Logos employee working on whatever the issue is, I wouldn't be reading and responding to the forums, I'd be focused 100% on getting the problem fixed and the website back up again as quickly as possible. The other employees who do have time to be perusing the forums might not be quite as much in the know about what the problem is and how soon it will be resolved. I think we just need to practice the virtue of patience.

Posts 808
Kevin Maples | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 27 2014 1:23 PM

Rosie Perera:
I think we just need to practice the virtue of patience.
I'm trying to be patient, but this is sooooo exciting. I can't wait to see the new packages! 

Posts 3938
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 27 2014 1:26 PM

MJ. Smith:

Given that they didn't expect to have to take it down and given their motivation to be up ASAP, it I were a Logos employee working on whatever the issue is, now is about the time I'd start barking at any manager who came to ask me when ii would be fixed. -- okay I only remember once when my bass and I actually did loose our temper ...Smile

Bass? Here and I thought the piscine deity was cod :)

L2 lvl4, L3 Scholars, L4 Scholars, L5 Platinum,  L6 Collectors. L7 Baptist Portfolio. L8 Baptist Platinum.

Posts 26867
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 27 2014 1:26 PM

Hey, I got up early to see the details on the packages ... I should have slept inCrying

abondservant - see edit aboveBig Smile

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 3938
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 27 2014 1:30 PM

MJ. Smith:

Hey, I got up early to see the details on the packages ... I should have slept inCrying

Just teasing :) I did get a good laugh out of it though, its good to know I'm not the only one who makes typos and sends them to the forums.

I was emailing my salesman today (Rusty) and at awkward places where one might toss in someones name if they were one to over use an individuals name in a sentence (IE Hey MJ, I Liked your post MJ, it made me laugh MJ) - I kept typoing the letter J in all caps.

It came out Hey J! How have you been J? Just wondered J if you could check on... well you get the idea. I'm going to blame the low batteries in my wireless keyboard :) Yeah. thats it.

L2 lvl4, L3 Scholars, L4 Scholars, L5 Platinum,  L6 Collectors. L7 Baptist Portfolio. L8 Baptist Platinum.

Posts 10
Jason De Vries | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 27 2014 1:30 PM

Just got off the phone with my sister, who did the copywriting for Logos 6. She said they've had people working (including her) working nearly around the clock for the last day or so. This has been the biggest launch they've ever had. She's confident they'll be up and running later today.

Posts 3938
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 27 2014 1:31 PM

MJ. Smith:

abondservant - see edit aboveBig Smile

NIce :) haha

A cellist :)

Posts 1691
LogosEmployee
Bob Pritchett | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 27 2014 1:38 PM

Kevin Maples:
Can any employee comment on how long they expect the website to be down?

Our team was up all night and they're still going... we did everything we could think of to be prepared for today (we even have a backup generator in the parking lot!), but we knew there would still be some unknowns with traffic levels and new configurations.

We have a test environment for our web site, but a large, interconnected system like ours depends on lots of servers, and a full clone of the full production environment has been financially out of reach. So some of the deployment had to be done live, and some things couldn't be thoroughly tested before going live because of inter-dependencies.

I don't know all the details, but it looks like there's some issue with new caching services we put in place to help manage the increased load. They team is working hard to get things up, and we'll leave the 'what exactly went wrong?' conversation to later analysis.

While you're waiting, you might want to watch the Logos 6 videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/LogosBibleSoftware

Thanks for your patience!

Posts 26867
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 27 2014 1:42 PM

Actually Bob, despite the high visibility of the problem, I think that the planning that went into thus rollout shows. The  forum posts, the stability of the product, the state of the data even when incomplete all speak to a well run project.

Posts 176
Rob | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 27 2014 1:45 PM

The program is stuck with 666MB left to download.

It's either a evil sign of things to come or a clever advertising trick.

Posts 999
Mike Pettit | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 27 2014 1:46 PM

Also you can see that a lot of lessons from the Logos 5 rollout have been learned, and you can see them being specifically addressed.

Posts 166
Anthony | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 27 2014 2:12 PM

This is me today - 

Posts 468
Charlene | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 27 2014 2:21 PM

At the beginning this morning, I was getting the "time out" error...for the last few hours I am getting "do you want to open or save www.logos.com/ from logos.com?

Obviously neither one works :(

Charlene

Posts 1751
Nathan Parker | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 27 2014 2:26 PM

It's my fault. I had to re-install my entire Logos 5 library on two machines over the weekend. That probably overloaded things before they even launched L6. :-)

Nathan Parker

Visit my blog at http://focusingonthemarkministries.com

Posts 1751
Nathan Parker | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 27 2014 2:37 PM

Is L6 downloads being served up off FaithLife's in-house servers or are you using AWS S3 and CloudFront to serve up the downloads?

Nathan Parker

Visit my blog at http://focusingonthemarkministries.com

Posts 1258
LogosEmployee
Dylan Rondeau | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 27 2014 2:40 PM

Nathan Parker:

Is L6 downloads being served up off FaithLife's in-house servers or are you using AWS S3 and CloudFront to serve up the downloads?

The downloads are from Amazon's servers, but we were having issues with our licensing service overloading (our servers) earlier which was preventing downloads. It should be fixed.

Dylan Rondeau, Software Tester

Enable Logging: Mac | Windows (Right-click "Save As...")

Posts 9098
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 27 2014 2:44 PM

Dylan Rondeau:
It should be fixed.

We all agree. It should be fixed.

But - if you meant 'we should find it fixed now' I must disagree. Still "Problem loading page..."

Just so you know.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 824
GregW | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 27 2014 2:49 PM

MJ. Smith:

Actually Bob, despite the high visibility of the problem, I think that the planning that went into thus rollout shows. The  forum posts, the stability of the product, the state of the data even when incomplete all speak to a well run project.

Completely agree - it has certainly been better planned than the L5 implementation. I can be positive because my 3.5GB download just completed and it's busy indexing now! Loving the new features - This really is a release that is rich in features, and the I'm pleased with the resources that have been added to L6 Platinum vs the comparable L5 package. The website is also intermittently working again now, so they do seem to be getting on top of it.  

Running Logos 6 Platinum and Logos Now on Surface Pro 4, 8 GB RAM, 256GB SSD, i5

Page 1 of 3 (50 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS