Really Frustrated with Trying to Download From Monday

Page 1 of 2 (25 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 24 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 502
Randall Hartman | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Oct 28 2014 1:46 PM

I'm still trying to download the stuff from Monday morning. As the time goes by my download size increases. My computer has been working non-stop for over 36 hours straight. This morning I was at 6-% downloaded of 2.68 GIGS. About an hour ago it said 52% had downloaded of 3.09 GIG. And then my whole computer crashed. When it restarted it now says 15 of 1.45 GIGS has downloaded. GRRRrrrrr.

I am running a Macbook Pro with 4 GIGS of RAM. I have about 11-12 GIG free on my hard drive.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Posts 29802
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 28 2014 2:05 PM

sorry for your troubles. I have been having download problems too. I do notice that you have a severe lack of space on your computer. You might want to address that soon. I assume that you have an SSD hard drive. Is that correct? Although these are better than traditional hard drive, they still need space to breathe. If you have a traditional hard drive, you have a severe problem.

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 29802
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 28 2014 2:07 PM

Sorry, I'm replying on my phone. I did notice that you had 50% downloaded and then when you checked it looks like it actually did download. That's a good sign. I'm not getting even that. Are you on Yosemite?

Posts 406
Paul C | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 28 2014 2:38 PM

Dude! ... Get a Dell. I started the download at 3:30 AM. Wrapped up indexing before 8:00 AM. ( A little Venue 8 ) Stick out tongue

Posts 502
Randall Hartman | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 28 2014 2:43 PM

Alabama24: yes I have a SSD HD. And I had 60% downloaded when it crashed and it now appears I am starting over. I think, but not sure, that I lost all of the previous download. And yes, I am running the latest Yosemite OS

Posts 226
Michael A. Lasley | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 28 2014 2:43 PM

Try stopping the download and restarting it. After 14 hours I shutdown and rebooted and the rest of the download finished in a few minutes - very fast. I think in the crunch, they limited the speed of the downloads and then didn't speed them back up. Other sites were working fine for me so it wasn't my computer.

Edit: I'm using a Mac. Forget the Dell.

Posts 1602
Deacon Steve | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 28 2014 2:44 PM

I'm thinking its several factors from end to end.  No doubt there are some server side issues going on.

Posts 502
Randall Hartman | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 28 2014 2:44 PM

Paul: dude! I love my Mac. This is seriously the first time I have been frustrated with it. Back in my Window days I faced many frustrations! To each their own!

Posts 406
Paul C | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 28 2014 2:48 PM

Guess it was not a good time to poke fun. Sorry. Embarrassed

Posts 502
Randall Hartman | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 28 2014 2:51 PM

Paul: I actually thought it was funny! It's too bad when we post people cannot see the smile on the face of the one responding!!

Posts 29802
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 28 2014 2:53 PM

Restart the computer and allow logos to index BEFORE starting the app up again. It should do this automatically. I think your math is wrong. You said it downloaded ~50% of 3GB and now it is at 15% of 1.5. That sounds right. Did I miss something?

Posts 502
Randall Hartman | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 28 2014 3:05 PM

Thanks Alabama I will do as you suggest.

I am confused about your confusion. Smile  It showed I had downloaded 60% of 2.68 GIG. It then changed the numbers and showed I had downloaded 52% of 3.09 GIG. It somehow "found" more files to download which LOWERED the total percent which had already downloaded. Does that make sense?

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 28 2014 3:25 PM

Dr. Randall Hartman:
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

The speed of the download is all about the speed of your internet connection at your computer.

To maximize downloading, don't let anyone else on your (home?) network download anything, play games, watch movies, etc. All of that clogs up the "pipe," still moving data through, but only some of it is getting to your update.

The next thing to do is on your computer, turn off everything that accesses the internet (email, web browser, etc.) - for the same reason as above.

You may also want to tweak your antivirus to not check downloaded data as it comes in. Doing that would be unique to whatever antivirus you have (and knowing some of you Mac types, you may not have antivirus at all).

The final issue is malware (visuses, and other bad things). The Apple world is no longer exempt from these things. If that's happening, it could be stealing band-width causing your download slowdown. 

There could be other contributing factors, but these are the only ones I'm aware of that you could actually do something about.

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 102
Jeromy Waunch | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 28 2014 3:29 PM

My Logos downloads are going VERY slow too while every other internet activity is normal. I'm confident their servers are just hammered from all the activity.

Posts 502
Randall Hartman | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 28 2014 3:37 PM

Thanks everyone for your help. I will try any and all suggestions. (Thanks Rich!) 

I am wondering if Alabama hit on something. Is it possible that Logos has been trying to INDEX and DOWNLOAD at the same time?! I rebooted and did not open the Logos program. I noticed the Logos icon in the tray and saw that it is indexing. I will wait until the index completes until I attempt another download with MAIL, etc. turned off.

Thanks

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 28 2014 4:01 PM

Dr. Randall Hartman:
I am wondering if Alabama hit on something. Is it possible that Logos has been trying to INDEX and DOWNLOAD at the same time?!

It is not supposed to both index and download at the same time. However, if Logos is indexing and it finds more to download, it will quit indexing and then download what it finds. It should then resume indexing after the download is complete. By not restarting Logos, you keep it from looking for more to download, and so let the current indexing finish first.

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 2755
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 28 2014 4:42 PM

I've been going through a similar ordeal as Randall. I finally called Logos. The tech set up logging, checked the download speed and ran through a battery of tests via TeamViewer.

Based on what was visible, there's multiple suspects. Server timeouts, throttled internet connections, and so forth. 

I found some relief in using different DNS.

Advantage DNS

The problem with the data based on what you see is pretty much dependent on what files are seen to be updated. Don't worry if what size your download is different then before or after. 

Right now the only thing to do is persevere. Sooner or later this will complete. I hope Logos beats Amazon on the head for what are probably server timeouts. I've spent enough time in the tech world to know an issue symptom like this one.

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Posts 3
Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 28 2014 11:08 PM

Regarding the recent large downloads and Yosemite; my new macbook pro is unable to properly download the Logos updates and indexing, it causes the macbook to overheat!  Any suggestions? (I already tried resetting the SMC)

Posts 24
Christian Bongartz | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 29 2014 2:05 AM

I have a similar problem. Am using a macbook air. The download starts at high speed, after some minutes it stops and the cpu usage goes up, but Logos does not indicate that it is indexing, it still shows that it is trying to download but nothing is coming through.

After cancelling the download Logos indicates that it should be restarted so new resources can be installed. Once I do that it starts downloading again but stops again after some minutes.

Could a bad internet connection cause the problem?

Posts 687
Jon | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 29 2014 2:24 AM

See also https://community.logos.com/forums/p/93192/646717.aspx#646717

If your symptoms are the same as I had (download stalls, CPU goes crazy), I don't think there's anything to be gained by waiting. Click "Cancel download" and restart Logos — you may need to do this a bunch of times before the download comes through entirely.

(This isn't a server issue since the resources are being served off AWS and there's no reason for that CPU usage if there's nothing downloading or indexing.)

Page 1 of 2 (25 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS