[resolved]Clause Search - Confused by Results - can anyone explain this?

Page 1 of 2 (38 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 37 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 804
Richard Lyall | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Oct 28 2014 6:23 PM

person:Jesus verb:weep; cry 

returns only Luke 19:41-44 and Luke 23:28

whereas person:Jesus verb:weep

returns only John 11:35

Why doesn't John 11:35 appear in the first clause search? What does this say about "Weep; cry" vs "weep" as search terms, because this is not at all intuitive.

Thanks!
Richard

Posts 26257
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 28 2014 6:33 PM

did you mean to type a semicolon between weep; cry?

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 804
Richard Lyall | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 28 2014 6:40 PM

"weep; cry" was one of the two completions suggested by Autocomplete when I began typing "Verb: weep", so I tried a search with each of them.

What I really want is some way to search for all weeping activity, however Logos wants to classify it, without having to guess the underlying semantic taxonomy first.

I hunted around to try to find an explanation for how this feature works when there are two terms separated by a semicolon - the wiki Search page has no section on Clause searches.

Posts 26257
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 28 2014 6:49 PM

I'm rebuilding indices at the moment try

person:Jesus sense:to cry (tears)

or

agent:Jesus sense:to cry (tears)

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 804
Richard Lyall | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 28 2014 6:59 PM

No problem if it's a work in progress. Will person:Jesus verb: weep find all three instances after index rebuild?

Posts 26257
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 28 2014 7:03 PM

I'm quite sure the bottom option will show all three instances; the upper option may include some unwanted results.

Posts 804
Richard Lyall | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 28 2014 7:11 PM

So what is the difference between "weep" and "weep; cry" as search terms\parameters, because that is not at all intuitive for an end user who doesn't know the software's inner workings!

Posts 50
Darrell | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 28 2014 7:15 PM

These are my results

Dell Lap Top Win 10_Home,  Logos 7,    

Samsung gs7 phone

Posts 804
Richard Lyall | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 28 2014 7:16 PM

Thanks ... maybe I have a dodgy index somewhere?

UPDATE: I tried to reproduce your query Darrell, although it's a bit small to read, but I think it's "person:Jesus verb:to weep", but I cannot enter "verb:to weep" - I get a red text error as it doesn't know that verb.

So there is something wrong with my installation somewhere ...

Posts 4595
Forum MVP
Fred Chapman | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 28 2014 7:26 PM

Richard Lyall:

Thanks ... maybe I have a dodgy index somewhere?

UPDATE: I tried to reproduce your query Darrell, although it's a bit small to read, but I think it's "person:Jesus verb:to weep", but I cannot enter "verb:to weep" - I get a red text error as it doesn't know that verb.

So there is something wrong with my installation somewhere ...

Richard,

I am finding the same results you are. I cannot reproduce Darrell's query either.

Posts 26257
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 28 2014 7:31 PM

I switched to sense rather than verb i.e. to BSL coding rather than clause coding which I believe is based on glosses.

I switched from person to agent just because I'm practicing the case frames syntax and it should be more precise.

Posts 4595
Forum MVP
Fred Chapman | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 28 2014 7:42 PM

MJ. Smith:

I switched to sense rather than verb i.e. to BSL coding rather than clause coding which I believe is based on glosses.

I switched from person to agent just because I'm practicing the case frames syntax and it should be more precise.

I tried this first 

Then this

It is puzzling that Darrell can enter the search he did 

Posts 804
Richard Lyall | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 28 2014 7:46 PM

Thanks for your time on this one folks ... however, the more I probe, the more confusing this becomes. Either something is broken, I've got a dodgy installation or I'm being exceptionally dense.

For example, I try one of the example queries in the Search help (that appears when query is blank) but it produces the red "syntax error" border when I click it in the help to load it into the search:

So how can Darrell produce the query he did, but it doesn't work for Fred & I? Any Logos coders shed some light on this?

Posts 4595
Forum MVP
Fred Chapman | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 28 2014 7:49 PM

Richard Lyall:

Thanks for your time on this one folks ... however, the more I probe, the more confusing this becomes. Either something is broken, I've got a dodgy installation or I'm being exceptionally dense.

For example, I try one of the example queries in the Search help (that appears when query is blank) but it produces the red "syntax error" border when I click it in the help to load it into the search:

So how can Darrell produce the query he did, but it doesn't work for Fred & I? Any Logos coders shed some light on this?

Same here. I created another thread linking to this one. Hopefully someone can figure it out 

Posts 50
Darrell | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 28 2014 7:53 PM

I don't guys, it populated for me as I typed it.

Samsung gs7 phone

Posts 804
Richard Lyall | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 28 2014 7:54 PM

Thanks Fred. In the meantime, more Clause Search weirdness.

Unless I'm mistaken, Jesus was definitely not the one doing the looking in Acts 27:15!!!

Posts 150
LogosEmployee
Todd White (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 28 2014 7:55 PM

I'm not a BSL expert we would need someone like Sean in here. However, when I open BSL I noticed that 'to weep' is OT only. If I switch to LHB clause search I am able to search for sense:to weep.

Hope that helps.

Posts 150
LogosEmployee
Todd White (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 28 2014 7:56 PM

I may have conflated this thread and https://community.logos.com/forums/t/93150.aspx.

Posts 804
Richard Lyall | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 28 2014 7:56 PM

Hi Darrell ... what's weird is that in my installation, verbs do not AutoComplete with "to" in front of them, whereas yours seem to.

Ah - just to check which version of Logos you're using? I've just updated to L6 - that might make a difference?

Posts 50
Darrell | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 28 2014 8:01 PM

I'm running

Logos Bible Software 5.2b SR-7 (5.2.2.1584) 

Samsung gs7 phone

Page 1 of 2 (38 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS