Important Feature - Internet

Page 2 of 3 (44 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 43 Replies | 9 Followers

Posts 23
Ragnheðin Ryggstein | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 30 2014 12:41 PM

Hi, Bradley

I know, that we can't predict the future, and that is not what i mean, but i need to know, if i can use all my resources "offline" always! and that I can use the features with the software offline always, that was what was I was told before I bought the software in the first place...............https://community.logos.com/forums/t/80198.aspx?PageIndex=1

can you promise me that, or is your policy changed, since then?

Regards

Ragnheðin

Posts 468
Charlene | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 30 2014 1:11 PM

I am not at all happy with this direction. If I remember correctly, in the past Logos had floated the idea of doing "online" Logos, and I thought that most of us did not want it. I am still in that camp. I want to have my resources on my computer, where I am not dependent on internet access. Traveling overseas and teaching in other countries, one knows better than to be dependent on the availability of internet service. This is NOT good.

Charlene

Posts 1721
LogosEmployee
Bob Pritchett | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 30 2014 1:31 PM

Our goal is to allow as much offline use as is practical. In the case of the Atlas, because we support zoom levels on hundreds (coming) of maps, it would take terabytes of hard drive space to store them offline. We DO store all the maps from Logos 5 offline, and many others in the resources. And we cache the new Atlas maps you've looked at up to some space limitation.

Books.Logos.com is another example -- the data for all those book page images is over 12 terabytes. I don't have that kind of hard drive space, and I doubt you do either.

So when we introduce Internet only features, it's usually not a choice to prefer online to offline -- it's because we're offering you something so big it couldn't be offline on most users' machines. If we decided to 'only do things offline' then we'd simply have to cut these features.

So we try to compromise -- to offer the best tools we can for offline use, supplemented by massive online databases.

(In some cases, like Community Tags, we access them online because they are by definition community-based, and huge, and need to be up-to-date to avoid duplicate tagging, etc.)

Posts 9151
LogosEmployee

Ragnheðin Ryggstein:

I know, that we can't predict the future, and that is not what i mean, but i need to know, if i can use all my resources "offline" always!

The resources available today that download to your computer (e.g., Logos & Vyrso books, but not Atlas, Visual Copy, streaming books.logos.com or video resources, etc.) can be used offline indefinitely with the current version of the software. Newer resources may eventually require a newer version of Logos, or an Internet connection. (Like I said, we can't predict the future.) But today's resources with today's software can be used offline.

Ragnheðin Ryggstein:
and that I can use the features with the software offline always, that was what was I was told before I bought the software in the first place...............https://community.logos.com/forums/t/80198.aspx?PageIndex=1

Offline-only features can be used offline. (I didn't find a quote in that thread that said all features can be used "with the software offline always".)

Posts 23
Ragnheðin Ryggstein | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 30 2014 1:57 PM

Hi, Bob

It is ok you don't have to go so deep into it, and i understand the issue you have, but this is NOT my question, and no one seems to answer me directly back with YES or NO

I try again, so pleas don't get mad at me and my questions

I need to know, if i can use all MY resources "offline" always! and that I can use the features with the software offline always, that was what was told to me before I bought the software in the first place..

when i say "The features with the software offline always" I mean of cause "the main" features, such as, in Logos 5, BUT the software and MY resources, witch I have bought are on MY computer for offline use ALWAYS.

you know, I was promised, that I could put Logos in my testament for my Children to inherit, and that I would NEVER loos any resources, and that the resources, were not just a licence, like a regular book, but that they were totally mine to do with as I choosed, so you see the problem I am having with this!  

Posts 2521
Ronald Quick | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 30 2014 2:09 PM

This issue seems to come up every so often. 

I also want to be able to access Logos offline.

I understand Bob's point about specific resources (maps, etc) needing to be online, but I hope Logos continues to have offline capability.  Access to my books, highlighting, note taking, word studies, etc,, it's important to me that these features always be usable without the Internet.    

Posts 33440
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 30 2014 2:15 PM

Ragnheðin Ryggstein:

I need to know, if i can use all MY resources "offline" always! and that I can use the features with the software offline always, that was what was told to me before I bought the software in the first place..

I believe that you are asking an unanswerable question when you say "always" as no one knows with accuracy the future of electronic devices and therefore what hardware Bob will have to build for. I, for one, would get concerned if Bob made architectural promise for two decades ahead. We have been told many times that Faithlife understands the need for offline access and intends to offer it for the foreseeable future.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 391
Geo Philips | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 30 2014 2:23 PM

I dont want to seem disrespectful. I am not and I totally understand your concern.

But you are making one main assumption here. That you have a computer, which you use, which will continue functioning in perpetuity (or atleast for a long time.) Logos exists on that computer. Faithlife has confirmed that all existing Logos resources (apart from things that take terabytes of data like the new maps) will continue to function offline, along with any functionality that can be achieved solely on your computer in Logos 5/6 (main features like searching, note-taking and so on.)

But what if your computer crashes and wipes everything off? At that point, the Faithlife model is a life-saver.

The only way to achieve what you wish is to continually take backups of your computer, every day, and store that backup safely. At that point, you have a fully recoverable installation of Logos (and anything else you desire) that you can restore offline and pass on as an asset to anyone you wish.

Also, if a hypothetical Logos 10 went to an online model, you would still have the Logos 5/6 to use forever.

Blessings

Ragnheðin Ryggstein:

Hi, Bob

It is ok you don't have to go so deep into it, and i understand the issue you have, but this is NOT my question, and no one seems to answer me directly back with YES or NO

I try again, so pleas don't get mad at me and my questions

when i say "The features with the software offline always" I mean of cause "the main" features, such as, in Logos 5, BUT the software and MY resources, witch I have bought are on MY computer for offline use ALWAYS.

you know, I was promised, that I could put Logos in my testament for my Children to inherit, and that I would NEVER loos any resources, and that the resources, were not just a licence, like a regular book, but that they were totally mine to do with as I choosed, so you see the problem I am having with this!  

Posts 23
Ragnheðin Ryggstein | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 30 2014 2:46 PM

Hi Bradley

Bradley Grainger (Faithlife):
But today's resources with today's software can be used offline.

So if I stay with Logos 5, I can use "logos 5" the way I did before I upgraded, i.e. offline?

If that is the case I might just as well go back to Logos 5, and enjoy my Portfolio and my other resources, because FGH said to me:

fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:47 PM

Ragnhedin Ryggstein: So if i would buy "Portfolio" i would have a life long access to all material, books etc.

Yes, and you can also put it in your will.

And this I can do in to the future... and also my children etc. 

MJ. Smith 

parhaps I am asking a question that there is no answer to, i don't know..... my brain is too small, to grasp is, but if i loos the ability to use my resources with Logos, I have wasted a lot of money, I could have used somewhere else. 

Posts 12104
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 30 2014 3:09 PM

Ragnheðin Ryggstein:

Bradley Grainger (Faithlife):
But today's resources with today's software can be used offline.

So if I stay with Logos 5, I can use "logos 5" the way I did before I upgraded, i.e. offline?

If that is the case I might just as well go back to Logos 5, and enjoy my Portfolio and my other resources

Ragnhedin,

I think, with "today's resources" Bradley meant Logos 6, not 5.

What works offline in L5 also works offline in L6, it's only a limited set of the new features (which - given the explanations above - make no sense offline) that require internet access. So I think there's no need to worry. Maybe some years down the road at another large upgrade the question will come up again - under possibly very different conditions for most of us.

That's my take on it.

Mick

Running Logos 9 latest (beta) version on Win 10

Posts 9151
LogosEmployee

Ragnheðin Ryggstein:

Yes, you can continue using Logos 5 offline. As other posters have pointed out, you need to have a computer that can run it. Logos 5 may stop working on Windows 15 in 2024. Or maybe we'll all be using Linux. You may end up needing to have a virtual Windows 8.1 machine that you can keep running Logos 5 on. Additionally, you'll need to be responsible for backing up and restoring this computer; it's quite possible that Logos 5 may no longer be able to connect to "the cloud" to download your resources and documents in 20 years.

Ragnheðin Ryggstein:
If that is the case I might just as well go back to Logos 5, and enjoy my Portfolio and my other resources, because FGH said to me

I don't understand this. Most of the features of Logos 6 work great offline, plus it adds great new offline features (Factbook, search, guide sections, and many more, plus it includes bug fixes and performance improvements).

Look at the new resources and features you get in the upgrade/crossgrade. Decide which ones are useful to you (you can ignore all the online features if you want). Then decide if it's worth the price; I think you'll find that all our upgrades are a great value, even if you remove all of the online features.

Posts 23
Ragnheðin Ryggstein | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 30 2014 3:35 PM

Thanks Mick for your answer

So you say, I should trust Logos, and stay with Logos 6, is that it?

what if they go to the cloud? I can't use that to anything, I am at sea 200 - 210 days a year (offline)

Take care

Ragnheðin

Posts 23
Ragnheðin Ryggstein | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 30 2014 3:46 PM

Thank you Bradley fore your answer

But why, was I told, that my children could inherit it, if it might not be functioning on Windows 15 or 2024? it does not make any seance to me!

Kind regards

Ragnheðin

Posts 5468
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 30 2014 3:49 PM

Ragnheðin Ryggstein:

Thank you Bradley fore your answer

But why, was I told, that my children could inherit it, if it might not be functioning on Windows 15 or 2024? it does not make any seance to me!

Kind regards

Ragnheðin

I think that whoever told you that was thinking that your children might not be at sea 200-215 days a year and might have occasional access to the internet.Smile

tootle pip

Mike

How to get logs and post them. (now tagging post-apocalyptic fiction as current affairs)

Posts 9151
LogosEmployee

Ragnheðin Ryggstein:

The licenses to access the content are what would be inherited. Those can be used with the latest supported version of Logos (whatever that happens to be) when your will is executed (assuming Faithlife is still in business).

Posts 23
Ragnheðin Ryggstein | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 30 2014 3:53 PM

And buy the way Bradley I had Portfolio in Logos 5, now I don't know what I have in Logos 6 (extended cross gate)

In Logos 5 portfolio I get minimum 50% of all bundles, do I still get this or have I lost this ability, just because I upgraded? It was also a promise "always"

regards

Ragnheðin

Posts 4155
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 30 2014 3:56 PM

Ragnheðin Ryggstein:

And buy the way Bradley I had Portfolio in Logos 5, now I don't know what I have in Logos 6 (extended cross gate)

In Logos 5 portfolio I get minimum 50% of all bundles, do I still get this or have I lost this ability, just because I upgraded? It was also a promise "always"

regards

Ragnheðin

As I recall we are getting at least 65% on all the new bundles, but you still have your 50% on all the old ones :)

L2 lvl4 (...) WORDsearch, L9

Posts 23
Ragnheðin Ryggstein | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 30 2014 4:19 PM

Thanks for the info Abondservant

Good night

Ragnheðin

Posts 1776
JoshInRI | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 30 2014 4:39 PM

I recently bought a Galaxy S Tablet primarily as an ereader.  I also settled for its use with Logos Android as well.I set my default bible recently in Android Logos app to NKJV.
At a recent Bible study it repeatedly tried to stay with the Lexham Bible no matter what I did even though clearly the settings showed it should have been the NKJV which I had downloaded too.
(I should mention I had a wifi-hotspot going on my Note 2 phone too...phew the things we go through, right?)
Imagine my consternation when I kept getting "negotiation failed" errors (which I used in context with The Bible Study we all were doing so we got some humor from it anyway).

Its also still incredibly difficult to negotiate to a part of any Bible.  I want tablet touch or phone touch capability similar to YOUVersion of the Bible.

I click colored abbreviations a couple of times and voila I am where I need to be.

Why isn't this basic functionality available in Logos - especially the new fangled "are-you-kidding-me-they-think-this-is-an-improvement?" version of the software that just came out?

Posts 59
Charles C.G. Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 30 2014 6:03 PM

As I am the original poster in this conversation, I want to close this discussion.

1. I believe we have made the point to Logos that there is a significant group of users that for the foreseeable future want to operate Logos from their computer with occasional Internet access.

2. Logos has acknowledged this message.

3. Some few users want a more specific answer to their questions and they need to call Customer Service and discuss this individually.

4. We are beginning to get trash in our thread.  

Page 2 of 3 (44 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS