Mac Download Problems Metathread

Page 3 of 9 (169 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
This post has 168 Replies | 11 Followers

Posts 63
Will Cornell | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 29 2014 12:48 PM

I know this wasn't specifically asked of me, but...

Tommy Ball:
Are you using an Apple wireless router or someone else's?

I've used both an Apple Airport Extreme at home and the Cisco router here at work (wirelessly)

Tommy Ball:
When you connected via Ethernet

No ethernet port on the MBP Retinas, and I'm not going to buy the Thunderbolt dongle. 

"How soon are we broken on the soft pillow of ease! Adam in paradise was overcome, when Job on the dunghill was a conqueror."

THOMAS WATSON

Posts 2219
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 29 2014 12:56 PM

I have been having repeated timeout issues with the massive update since early AM Monday.

Yosemite

5 latest stable 7

MacMini i7 2012

Did use OpenDNS, now on Advantage DNS

My DSL is running 1.32mbps

Not having any download issues otherwise with modest files to about 40MB to test.

At the moment I'm at 24%.of 2.30GB from around 3AM restart. Real progress that I hope continues. 

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Posts 63
Will Cornell | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 29 2014 12:57 PM

Bradley Grainger (Faithlife):
This is normal behaviour during downloads; a patch is downloaded (internet usage) and then applied locally (CPU usage). The download rate should pick up again momentarily. If both go down to 0 (and stay there for minutes), something may be wrong. But intermittent ups and downs in the download rate are not necessarily a problem.

In my experience, once the CPU usage spikes (usually to about 200%), the network flatlines. Waiting never results in the download picking back up (waited for hours on more than one occasion). The only thing that happens is my fans get a workout. :)

"How soon are we broken on the soft pillow of ease! Adam in paradise was overcome, when Job on the dunghill was a conqueror."

THOMAS WATSON

Posts 102
Andrew Mercer | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 29 2014 1:18 PM

I'm all good now, but my 2013 iMac was fine with the upgrade from L5 Portfolio to L6 Reformed God. However, different story with late 2011 MBA (11 inch with 4GB)

Both machines are on 10.10, but different modems. With the MBA I had a 2.96GB download which included the "maasive" upgrade from the 26th. I found that after about 30% downloading it would hang so I would cancel the download, restart L6, and then I would cancel the indexing and a new download would begin.

This incremental way took about 14 hours on my MBA and the fan was running flat out. With the different experiences I was having, I first put it down to modem issues as the modem I use at home is temperamental, but in reading this thread I clearly think a lot of the issue was due to the MBA.

Posts 156
DivineCordial | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 29 2014 1:22 PM

Bradley Grainger (Faithlife):

alabama24:

1) yes there is a problem 2) we have created a case for this problem or 3) we are working on a fix for this problem. It is very frustrating. 

1. Yes, but it appears (from initial investigation) to be a bug in Yosemite. We use native Mac APIs for the downloads (no Mono!) and they are reporting the timeout errors. If you check Apple's forums, this is not a problem isolated to Logos: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6604025 
  2. Yes.
  3. Yes. Even though this--from initial appearances--appears to be a Yosemite problem, we are working as hard as we can to see if we can find a workaround within Logos. 

On that thread, you may see that some people have reported that disabling Bluetooth makes it better. Other people have reported better speeds on wired (rather than WiFi) connections. We haven't confirmed any of those workarounds, but I'm throwing those out here in case they help.

Correct, there is a glitch with Yosemite that is causing Wi-fi &/or internet connection issues. I experienced drop of internet connection myself, which would start when using non-standard software (such as Skype, Steam, or Battlenet). Once the internet dropped out, it would not allow me back on until I restarted the Mac (note: the wireless did not disconnect for me, but the internet stopped working). I tried switching to my Administrator account which seemed to work fine, so I thought that maybe making a new account would fix it, but I also had a file system error that would not stay fixed, so I decided to reformat and clean install Yosemite.

After the clean install, everything was fine until I installed Battlenet. Then the same thing happened again. I tried removing Battlenet and just seeing if it would work without, but after a while the problem returned (webpages wouldn't load, etc.). So I clean installed Yosemite a second time, intending and not install Battlenet. This time, the internet connection dropped out the same way when I tried to connect to Skype (even though Skype didn't break the internet during my first clean install). So I decided to go ahead and clean install yet a third time.

So I am on my third clean install without having installed either Skype or Battlenet. The internet has been fine. The only problem that I've had is getting Logos Bible to download the resources, but that seems different than the other problem. The other problem would effectively kill the internet connection until a system restart, whereas with Logos the Indexer starts going into overdrive and heating up the CPU and the download stops until I completely close and relaunch Logos & Indexer/Downloader. No system restart needed. It's possible that the problems are related, but for my system the symptoms have been different.

Logos 8 | Faithlife Connect Essentials
27" Win10 (1903) AMD FX-8350 (4GHz) 16GB DDR3 2x500SSD 1x240SSD 2x3TBHDD
rMBP13" macOS 10.14.6 i7 (2.9GHz) 8GB DDR3 512SSD
iPad3 iOS 9.3.5 | iPod6 iOS 12.4 | iPhoneXR iOS 12.4

Posts 63
Will Cornell | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 29 2014 1:50 PM

For the record, I was able to install L6 on the Windows 8.1 side of my rMBP w/OS 10.10 (Using Parallels 10.1). This will be my workaround until there's a fix. 

I don't know exactly how the Windows 8.1 OS handles the internet connection whether it piggybacks settings from the Mac OS or what, but this at least demonstrates that it is not a hardware issue.

I'm willing to help to further the solution if necessary. I know you can't test for every possible bug. Even Apple botches that in some way with their releases. Just please make this a priority!  Working with Windows is not a pleasant experience for me.

Blessings,

Will

THOMAS WATSON

Posts 27442
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 29 2014 2:08 PM

Tommy Ball:

Linksys.

Tommy Ball:
When you connected via Ethernet did you connected directly to the modem, or through the an extra Ethernet port in the wireless router? 

I think wireless router. I KNOW that is how I just did it. While I was gone, "51%" downloaded. It is indexing now and seems to be a large index. I will let you know if 51 actually means 51 once I can open Logos again.

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 27442
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 29 2014 2:11 PM

DivineCordial:
Once the internet dropped out, it would not allow me back on until I restarted the Mac

I am not experiencing that issue. Thankfully. Smile

Posts 27442
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 29 2014 2:11 PM

Will Cornell:
For the record, I was able to install L6 on the Windows 8.1 side of my rMBP w/OS 10.10 (Using Parallels 10.1).

Thanks for the update. Smile

Posts 2219
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 29 2014 2:29 PM

At 25% now, so other than being slow, at least it's not timing out. From what I calculated early this morning, the original file size with 100% overhead should have been done in under 12 hours. 

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Posts 27442
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 29 2014 3:25 PM

FWIW - the "51%" was no more than 100 MB... I have ~400 MB left. Ugh. 

Posts 2219
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 29 2014 4:12 PM

alabama24:

Stay the course. I'm still looking at gigabytes.

I noticed that if L5 is open it updates faster and more accurately for your total download.

I really hope this will finish up. I'm itching to get L6,

Posts 281
Sean McIntyre | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 29 2014 6:26 PM

If I re-install Logos5 engine will it work alongside Logos 6? I'm thinking that I could use L5 to download the update.

Posts 13312
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 29 2014 6:31 PM

Sean McIntyre:
If I re-install Logos5 engine will it work alongside Logos 6? I'm thinking that I could use L5 to download the update.

No. They can't co-exist.

If you have parallels, you could install the PC version, have everything download there, and then scan the Windows resources folder into your Mac version of Logos.

Posts 14
Ben Schoof | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 29 2014 6:46 PM

1. What OS (be specific): 10.10
  2. What version of Logos (be specific): 5.2b SR-7 (5.2.2.1584)
  3. What computer are you using: Late 2009 iMac; 2011 Macbook Air
  4. Do you use OpenDNS (yes, no, unsure): No

I had problems downloading the large Sunday update on my iMac. Took me 5 or 6 restarts to finally get it to go through.

I can't remember having similar problems on the Air. Possibly because it hasn't tried to download the large update yet. 

Will edit this post if I have more info.

Don't know if I was the first to have issues using an iMac, but it's certainly not limited to notebooks

Posts 3148
LogosEmployee
Thomas Ball | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 29 2014 6:59 PM

alabama24:

Tommy Ball:

Linksys.

Ok. Thank you. Before Will Cornell said he used an Airport Extreme and was having problems I wondered if maybe there was some conflict with non-Apple routers, but his testimony makes that seem less likely to be the issue.

Posts 27442
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 29 2014 7:07 PM

Sean McIntyre:

It depends upon what you mean "alongside." You CAN install L5 on another computer or another user account in OS X. I don't think this will solve your problem, however, as some users have had the same problem with L5. The issue seems to be with Yosemite... The reason this is coming to light now is simply because we have more users downloading large amounts of resources using 10.10. It looks like we will have to wait for either a fix from Apple or Logos to figure out a fix on their end. For clarification: L6 is based on L5... so L5 will need a service release too. 

Posts 281
Sean McIntyre | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 29 2014 9:26 PM

Following all three of the tips at http://osxdaily.com/2014/10/25/fix-wi-fi-problems-os-x-yosemite/ has certainly made my browser speeds lightening fast but it remains to be seen whether this will improve the L6 download.

Will update later

Posts 27442
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 29 2014 9:27 PM

alabama24:

I <think> the 51% might have been closer to being accurate. I <think> the ~400 MB that I was quoted AFTER included the SR1 update, which was not included in the count BEFORE. I <think> I have actually downloaded and indexed everything. w00t! Smile

Posts 281
Sean McIntyre | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 29 2014 10:29 PM

alabama24:

I <think> I have actually downloaded and indexed everything. w00t! Smile

No one likes a show off ;-)

Page 3 of 9 (169 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS