Mac Download Problems Metathread

Page 7 of 9 (169 items) « First ... < Previous 5 6 7 8 9 Next >
This post has 168 Replies | 11 Followers

Posts 28718
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 4 2014 2:37 PM

Mark Cannon:
i worder if their Mac development staff is little more than a real life representation of "The IT Crowd".

Funny show... but no, they're not like that. (thankfully! Smile)

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 2620
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 4 2014 3:59 PM

Bigger issue than I imagined

http://www.infoworld.com/article/2842895/operating-systems/apple-reportedly-asks-developers-to-focus-on-wifi-in-first-yosemite-beta-update.html

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Posts 56
RichB | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 5 2014 4:35 AM

Hi all,

Been having the same problems posted here, but tried something that worked for me. YMMV. It does not involve any voodoo type of things, like turning off BT (mine is on), changing to a faster connection, changing DNS servers, repairing disk permissions. I realize we’re groping in the dark for answers.

My setup: MBP 2011, OS 10.10, Logos 6. Upgraded recently to Logos 6 and Bronze package.

I was excited to try out all the new features, but had to do a 2.7 GB download like most of you. Now, I did the massive download while I had Logos 5, and I had the same problems with that, too.

The Problem: I would try to download, it would get to maybe 1%, sometimes 3% if I was lucky, then it would stop downloading, and logosindexer would kick in begin indexing. I’d wait, then either do an ‘update now’ command, and do the process all over again. Or, I’d quit Logos, restart it, then the same thing would happen. Yes, it is downloading many files, so the indexer can index whatever you download. But it sure isn’t fun having to monitor a 2.7 GB download process, esp. after every 100 MB or so!

Observation: I noticed that an overactive Logosindexer kept interrupting the download, whether it was a network stutter or some other reason. So I racked my brain trying to figure out how to *stop* the indexer from running. To blame something on this like a Yosemite bug seemed too strange, as I have had no wi-fi connectivity issues, no download issues from Amazon servers (non-Logos).

Workaround: Your mileage may vary, but my goal, contrary to what some have said, was to *stop* the indexer from indexing, even trying to stall it until downloading was completed. So, you might have to tweak the following steps to get that effect.

1. Begin your download
  2. When it suddenly stalls and indexing begins, pause it for 4 hours by hitting the link in Logos or the menubar icon
  3. Try typing ‘update now’ into the command bar. See if it will re-detect the download.
  4. If not (as in my case), quit Logos, then restart Logos.
  5. If the download option still doesn’t come up, type in ‘update now’ again into the command bar.

This should keep the indexer quiet long enough for the download to complete. I really don’t think it has anything to do with automatic updates on or off because you *are* trying to update it. Would love to know if this works for anybody else!

Posts 2620
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 5 2014 8:09 AM

I think I solved one issue. The download amount would periodically balloon Yesterday it went past 3 GB again! Ugh!

The answer for me was to cancel the download, let it index a bit, and turn off automatic updates. 

So far this seems to be working. I'm down to less than 2GB and the amount is at 1.84. It's still painful slow but I don't have much choice. 

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Posts 2620
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 9 2014 8:20 PM

I finally finished the "massive update". Under 3GB took roughly ten days. It turns out that it had nothing whatsoever to do with Yosemite WiFi. Transmission took minutes per megabyte. 

NEW PROBLEM. I'm adding L6 and new resources. For some reason, it wants to download 4.7GB as opposed to slightly over 3GB as on my other machines. I have a sinking feeling that it wants to re download practically everything through that horrible server needle all over again. If it does that I might as well start from scratch. It would be much faster. 

Update: It now wants 5GB. Really? 

Posts 21
Robert Carter | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 10 2014 3:06 AM

I have had similar problems, only smaller file sizes.
Additionally the file sizes keep changing.

The latest update is 17% of 2.06 Gb and has taken all day so far.

All suggestions received on these posts and from Logos support have been investigated and although there has been improvement, the problem still exists.

One thing that seems to have been overlooked is that comments keep referring to Apple and Wifi, but this happens even when getting rid of wireless and reverting to ethernet.
For me, it does not seem to be a Yosemite wifi issue, or solely that. I have updated other massive programs that have not had any problems. In my instance it only seems to be a combination of Logos and Yosemite, with or without Wifi.

I had thought at one point that there is a bandwidth problem. It is reminiscent of the earlier dial up modem days.

Logos has been great however in their feedback to me and I have sent them an email to commend them for their efforts.

Posts 6
Scott Stringer | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 10 2014 11:30 AM

I'm still seeing this same problem on OSX 10.10.0, Logos 5.0, early 2014 MBP.  I had about 1 GB of updates pending that wouldn't load.  I upgraded to L6 with a package update as well, which boosted my update download requirement to about 5 GB.  The most I've been able to download in one shot is about 3% before it stalls.  I've tried pausing indexing, allowing indexing to complete, Wifi (with the recommended work-arounds completed), wired ether/thunderbolt.  No apparent effect.  Logos seems to think it's a Yosemite problem, but all other downloads are working just fine.  Quite frustrating!  Even when they fix the problem in L6, I won't be able to download the fix!  I'm thinking of trying to delete the whole Logos application and library from my Mac and re-install on my Parallels virtual Windows 7 app.  I can't find any guidance for completely uninstalling Logos from Mac, though.

Posts 28718
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 10 2014 11:57 AM

Welcome Scott! Sorry for your problems. Tongue Tied

For clarification: you wrote that you are using "Logos 5.0". Surely not! what specific version are you using?

Posts 28718
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 10 2014 12:02 PM

There are some threads with MANY suggestions, but I have one for you to try. 

1. Keep your WIFI & Blutooth off and use ethernet
  2. Make sure "automatic downloads" is turned off in logos settings.
  3. restart your computer
  4. open up "activity monitor" in OS X utilities, and click on the "network" tab
  5. wait a minute to see if Logos starts indexing.
  6. once the indexer icon disappears, start up logos
  7. when the "there is a download" bar appears, click on it to start the download.
  8. when the indexer/download icon appears above, press command-Q to quit logos (the download will continue)
  9. keep an eye on the logos download/indexer in the "activity monitor." If you see the download stall for several minutes, kill it and go back to step 3

This method has worked three times for me... but I have also done many of the other "fixes," so I am unsure if this was a fluke, a combination of all the things I have tried, or a genuine fix.

Posts 2620
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 10 2014 2:52 PM

The massive update is a real issue that I just hammered away it. Persist.  I doubt the tech guys are going to fix it any time soon. So keep at it.

My L6 was part of a new download. I decided to download that separately and install it over my L5 before updating with the new resources. Even that was kinda slow. 

I'm now updating and it's still slow, but I've gotten about 8% of 5GB in the last few hours so I'm just going to hang in there.  

I hope Apple comes up with a patch and I check daily for one. But it seems to me something with Logos' server setup is downright unfriendly to Mac because I don't have that issue elsewhere and my PCs don't have a sluggish download issue with Logos.

Posts 28718
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 10 2014 3:21 PM

mab:
it seems to me something with Logos' server setup is downright unfriendly to Mac

It isn't the servers (which are Amazon... they provide web services to many businesses). 

mab:
My L6 was part of a new download. I decided to download that separately and install it over my L5 before updating with the new resources. Even that was kinda slow. 

You mean download the engine separately, or download the resources in L5 before updating the engine to L6? As far as we can tell, the issue isn't L6 vs. L5, but the Logos engine on Yosemite. 

mab:
I hope Apple comes up with a patch and I check daily for one.

A couple of users have commented on 10.10.1 beta, and say that the issue hasn't been fixed yet. The WIFI issue that others have mentioned (non-logos use) may or may not be related... So a "fix" for THAT issue may or may not fix OUR issue. 

Posts 6
Scott Stringer | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 10 2014 3:52 PM

5.2b currently (with 6.x in the cue for download)

Posts 28718
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 10 2014 4:31 PM

Scott Stringer:

5.2b currently (with 6.x in the cue for download)

Thanks. By the way, you might want to try downloading the L6 engine directly via the link provided you in your confirmation email. It should download right away without troubles.

Posts 2620
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 10 2014 4:31 PM

alabama24:
It isn't the servers (which are Amazon... they provide web services to many businesses). 

However it is set up, something is wrong with it. It's not delivering a level of satisfactory performance.

It's anyone's guess as to why. It would be nice if someone would take ownership. No one seems to want to do that. I hope I'm wrong.

Posts 6
Scott Stringer | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 10 2014 4:36 PM

Thanks.  Will a direct download and install of L6 engine automatically overwrite the L5 engine?  Because the "normal" way to install an upgrade is through the update process, Logos doesn't provide any guidance for forcing an overwrite.

Posts 28718
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 10 2014 5:01 PM

mab:
However it is set up, something is wrong with it.

If it were the servers, then EVERYONE would be having troubles. It isnt the servers. It is something about changes in Yosemite. 

mab:
It would be nice if someone would take ownership

It is an issue that Logos will have to deal with. They have assured me that they are working on it. 

Posts 28718
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 10 2014 5:03 PM

Scott Stringer:
Will a direct download and install of L6 engine automatically overwrite the L5 engine?

You should be able to simply download the installer, double click on it, and drag it to the applications folder (like every other application you would install). It might not overwrite the L5 app, but everything should point to the same place. If the old app isnt overwritten, you can drag it to the trash.

Posts 6
Scott Stringer | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 10 2014 8:05 PM

alabama24:

There are some threads with MANY suggestions, but I have one for you to try. 

1. Keep your WIFI & Blutooth off and use ethernet
  2. Make sure "automatic downloads" is turned off in logos settings.
  3. restart your computer
  4. open up "activity monitor" in OS X utilities, and click on the "network" tab
  5. wait a minute to see if Logos starts indexing.
  6. once the indexer icon disappears, start up logos
  7. when the "there is a download" bar appears, click on it to start the download.
  8. when the indexer/download icon appears above, press command-Q to quit logos (the download will continue)
  9. keep an eye on the logos download/indexer in the "activity monitor." If you see the download stall for several minutes, kill it and go back to step 3

This method has worked three times for me... but I have also done many of the other "fixes," so I am unsure if this was a fluke, a combination of all the things I have tried, or a genuine fix.

Thanks for the steps.  Doesn't seem to make a difference, though.  I'm seeing the same performance on wifi as on wired ethernet.  Having the activity monitor open, though is helpful, as I can see immediately when downloading stalls.  Unfortunately, it freezes every time before it downloads more than 30MB.  I think I'm stuck until someone fixes the code.

alabama24:

You should be able to simply download the installer, double click on it, and drag it to the applications folder (like every other application you would install). It might not overwrite the L5 app, but everything should point to the same place. If the old app isnt overwritten, you can drag it to the trash.

That worked great.  At least that part is done.  Still, almost 5 GB left to download, though...  Thanks for the help.

Posts 134
Joel | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 11 2014 4:25 AM

alabama24:

It is an issue that Logos will have to deal with. They have assured me that they are working on it. 

Nice to know. I'm yet to hear back from them about it. I've tried many times to beat the indexer from killing my download speed, but to no avail. Until Logos fix the problem I'm just going to forget the application. Downloading is borderline impossible right now.

Posts 434
Mark Nolette | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 11 2014 7:20 AM

I was doing fine with downloads on Verbum 6, but a new trick has surfaced this morning. Has anyone seen this? The download starts and seems to move normally. It stops at a certain point (42%, in my case). It then goes back to 0% and starts over. Back to 42%. Stop. Back to 0%. The loop keeps going. If I break the cycle (say, at 35%), and restart Logos, I find no new resources! 

Ethernet isn't an option for me right now, so I'm open to other thoughts.  

Page 7 of 9 (169 items) « First ... < Previous 5 6 7 8 9 Next > | RSS