Morphology changes??

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
This post has 4 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 1064
Myke Harbuck | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Oct 29 2014 6:57 AM

Wondering if Logos 6 contains any changes to Hebrew morphology? I loved the Andersen-Forbes Hebrew morphology that was tied to the ENGLISH Bibles in Logos 4, and have been dissatisfied with the Logos Hebrew Morphology since it is more limited (such as in ability to search Divine names, nouns with definite article He). I know you can do all of this with the Hebrew Bible in Logos 5, but I liked doing it in the English Bibles as was able in 4. 

Have any advancements been made to morphology in 6? Any more specificity to drill down into? 

Any wisdom would be GREATLY appreciated. 

Thanks!

Myke Harbuck, Byron GA

Myke Harbuck
Lead Pastor, www.ByronCity.Church
Adjunct Professor, Georgia Military College
Mac OS 10.13.6 High Sierra, Mid 2015 iMac, 2.5GHz i7, 32 gbRAM, 1tbSSD

Posts 2182
Forum MVP
John Fidel | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 29 2014 7:26 AM

I agree, especially with the DVD on Hebrew that was released several years ago showing how to use AF with the English interlinears. I opened several Reverse Interlinears and all used Logos Hebrew Morphology.

Posts 1064
Myke Harbuck | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 29 2014 7:30 AM

Same here John. That video set was great, but the morph changes was a HUGE letdown as you could not follow along with him more than half the time. While some have said the new morphology is superior, I liked the options of the old one, as it seemed more robust and detailed. I'm praying that this was corrected in 6. Hopefully one the Logos wise scholars will come along and let us know either way. 

Myke Harbuck
Lead Pastor, www.ByronCity.Church
Adjunct Professor, Georgia Military College
Mac OS 10.13.6 High Sierra, Mid 2015 iMac, 2.5GHz i7, 32 gbRAM, 1tbSSD

Posts 2182
Forum MVP
John Fidel | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 29 2014 8:14 AM

Actually, the new morphology is more extensive on the verbs, but the nouns section is missing some very important options that AF provided.

A couple of screenshots for those not familiar with the issue. The first is the ESV with Logos Hebrew and the second is AFAT.

Posts 433
Vincent Setterholm | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 30 2014 11:52 AM

The Andersen-Forbes database is a fantastic resource, and you can still run all the same searches, visual filters, etc. directly on the Andersen-Forbes Analyzed Text. There were a number of reasons why we decided to make our own in-house Hebrew Bible (LHB). One of the most important benefits was to be in control of how the text is broken into segments so that we could do alignment projects like Reverse Interlinears and tagging projects like the Bible Sense Lexicon and the Referent Tagging without having to realign everything with new changes to a third party database or, just as bad, be unable to release updates to a third party database because we don't have time to go back and realign everything. It also makes licensing issues smoother for projects like the Hebrew Discourse materials if the text used for that project doesn't constitute a 'derivative product' of another database we don't own.

There are certainly some features tagged in the A-F resources where there is no equivalent data in LHB - the definiteness column in the screenshot above is a good example. In other cases, we have data, but it lives somewhere else. For example, some of what you see in 'Noun Family' in the screenshot above can be handled by searching senses as tagged in the Bible Sense Lexicon (though I don't think proper nouns have been given senses yet - searching <Sense = mountain> won't snag Sinai, but it'll snag the 'har' (mount) before Sinai, so we're not quite there yet - I'll ask that team if they plan to incorporate proper nouns). When first released, the BSL data was easy to see, but there was no search UI for it. Logos 6 makes that data searchable.

LHB does have some features that aren't in the A-F materials: the text is accented, the lemmas have vowel points, there's tagging for roots in addition to lemmas, which opens up some new searching options, there's more information on Qere/Kethiv pairs, the verb stem assignments are more granular, making them easier to use in conjunction with the more advanced grammars and lexicons, etc. On the flip side, the A-F suite of tools has the fantastic graph resource and syntax database, so I think each set of tools contributes some unique elements - I use both.

I know Dr. Heiser has been at work scripting a new Learn to Use Hebrew video course, and I think has even filmed some of the elements that didn't involve screenshots - they understandably wanted to film the screenshots with Logos 6 - so an update to all of that is on the way.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS