Bible Book Guides

Page 1 of 1 (19 items)
This post has 18 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 702
JH | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Oct 29 2014 6:28 PM

This is a really great new feature, and works well with some books of the Bible (like the book of Romans in the featured video), but I cannot figure out the correct search terms in Factbook for many books (e.g. 1 John, Acts, 2 Peter, etc). Anyone get the Bible Book Guides to work for these types of books?

Posts 2106
LogosEmployee

Try: First Epistle of John, Book of Acts, Second Epistle of Peter.

Posts 412
Mary-Ellen | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 17 2014 4:53 PM

"Epistle to the Philippians" turns up as a suggestion when I type in just "Philippians."  It seems like "Book of Acts" could be a suggestion when I enter "Acts," and something similar for common short names for all Bible books.

Dell XPS 8930/Intel Core i7-8700@3.20GHz/32GB RAM/Win10 Pro

Trekstor Primebook/Celeron/4GB RAM/Win10 Home

iPad Air/Pixel/Faithlife Connect

Posts 2205
Forum MVP
John Fidel | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 17 2014 5:54 PM

When in doubt, open the Topic Guide and then use the link to Factbook from there. The Topic Guide is much better at making suggestions at this point.

Posts 1281
toughski | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 17 2014 6:18 PM

Andrew Batishko (Faithlife):

Try: First Epistle of John, Book of Acts, Second Epistle of Peter.

Andrew, this is verbose and not very intuitive, so could you provide a full list of Factbook-approved Bible Book names. Also, how about training Factbook to recognize reftagger-type abbreviations for bible books. Just a suggestion. Smile

Posts 1077
Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 17 2014 7:07 PM
I agree Please give us a list full list of approved Bible Book Names.. toughski | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 18 2014 8:18 AM

Try: First Epistle of John, Book of Acts, Second Epistle of Peter.  Andrew, this is verbose and not very intuitive, so could you provide a full list of Factbook-approved Bible Book names. Also, how about training Factbook to recognize reftagger-type abbreviations for bible books. Just a suggestion. Smile

L4 Bible Study, L5 Reformed Bronze, & L5 Gold, L6 Platinum & Reformed Platinum, L7 Platinum, L8 Baptist Platinum.
2015 rMBP 15" 2.2GHz 16GB 256GB SSD, running macOS Mojave   iPad Mini 4,   iPhone 6.

Posts 2106
LogosEmployee

toughski:

Andrew, this is verbose and not very intuitive, so could you provide a full list of Factbook-approved Bible Book names. Also, how about training Factbook to recognize reftagger-type abbreviations for bible books. Just a suggestion. Smile

I don't know the list, but I do know there are some changes being made to make these easier to find. I don't know when those changes will be ready, but I hope it will be soon.

You will have better luck finding the book entries if you prefix the book name with: "<Topic ". This limits the suggestions to only topics, and significantly raises the cap on the number of topics that can be displayed. This will make it easier to find the Bible Book items. So, type something like: <Topic Peter

Posts 1281
toughski | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 18 2014 7:08 AM

You will have better luck finding the book entries if you prefix the book name with: "<Topic ". This limits the suggestions to only topics, and significantly raises the cap on the number of topics that can be displayed. This will make it easier to find the Bible Book items. So, type something like: <Topic Peter

great suggestion! thanks.

Posts 1281
toughski | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 18 2014 8:32 AM

This will make it easier to find the Bible Book items. So, type something like: <Topic Peter

I tried this and actually got drowned by other topics:

1 Peter was entry 39!

2 Peter 48th on the list.

Again, I stand by my assessment that this is neither intuitive nor easy

Posts 2106
LogosEmployee

toughski:

Again, I stand by my assessment that this is neither intuitive nor easy

I agree, and I stand by my assertion that we are working on changes to this. Until those changes are available, my suggestion will have stand in as a temporary workaround.

Posts 983
JohnB | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 18 2014 2:01 PM

There is no standard rule to get the correct entry. Some will give the name with a couple of letters or the basic name but others will not. These appear to be the names of 64 of the shorter protestant canon and will produce the book of the bible template for the named book. And it is still well worth the slightly longer time to type in the full title.
For some reason I cannot find the full names names for  Deuteronomy and   Daniel.  I must have missed something obvious - like my spelling being incorrect!  Most are consistent and logical - why is Timothy a letter and not an epistle? I hope that this table is of use to someone.

I agree that this is useful stuff!

Genesis

Book of Genesis

Nahum

Book of Nahum

Exodus

Book of Exodus

Habakkuk

Book of Habakkuk

Leviticus

Book of Leviticus

Zephaniah

Book of Zephaniah

Numbers

Book of Numbers

Haggai

Book of Haggai

Deuteronomy

Zechariah

Book of Zechariah

Joshua

Book of Joshua

Malachi

Book of Malachi

Judges

Book of Judges

Matthew

Gospel of Matthew

Ruth

Book of Ruth

Mark

Gospel of Mark

1 Samuel

Book of First Samuel

Luke

Gospel of Luke

2 Samuel

Book of Second Samuel

John

Gospel of John

1 Kings

Book of First Kings

Acts

Book of Acts

2 Kings

Book of Second Kings

Romans

Epistle to the Romans

1 Chronicles

Book of First Chronicles

1 Corinthians

First Epistle to the Corinthians

2 Chronicles

Book of Second Chronicles

2 Corinthians

Second Epistle to the Corinthians

Ezra

Book of Ezra

Galatians

Epistle to the Galatians

Nehemiah

Book of Nehemiah

Ephesians

Epistle to the Ephesians

Esther

Book of Esther

Philippians

Epistle to the Philippians

Job

Book of Job

Colossians

Epistle to the Colossians

Psalms

Book of Psalms

1 Thessalonians

First Epistle to the Thessalonians

Proverbs

Book of Proverbs

2 Thessalonians

Second Epistle to the Thessalonians

Ecclesiastes

Book of Ecclesiastes

1 Timothy

First Letter to Timothy

Song of Solomon

Book of Song of Songs

2 Timothy

Second  Letter to Timothy

Isaiah

Book of Isaiah

Titus

Epistle to Titus

Jeremiah

Book of Jeremiah

Philemon

Epistle to Philemon

Lamentations

Book of Lamentations

Hebrews

Epistle to the Hebrews

Ezekiel

Book of Ezekiel

James

Epistle of James

Daniel

1 Peter

First Epistle of John

Hosea

Book of Hosea

2 Peter

Second Epistle of John

Joel

Book of Joel

1 John

First Epistle of John

Amos

Book of Amos

2 John

Second Epistle of John

Obadiah

Book of Obadiah

3 John

Third Epistle of John

Jonah

Book of Jonah

Jude

Epistle of Jude

Micah

Book of Micah

Revelation

Book of Revelation

Posts 983
JohnB | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 18 2014 2:24 PM

John Fidel:
When in doubt, open the Topic Guide and then use the link to Factbook from there. The Topic Guide is much better at making suggestions at this point.

JH:
Anyone get the Bible Book Guides to work for these types of books?

I agree but the information and layout is NOT the same as using Factbook and nothing like as good in my opinion for this purpose. Also it is not necessarily a good help to what will work in Factbook. As an example for Deuteronomy  it give Book of Deuteronomy which as of this evening does not work in Factbook.  Factbook shows a purpose designed layout specifically for an introduction to the bible book.- a bit like a special guide.

Posts 26847
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 18 2014 2:50 PM

Faithlife produced a great deal of new material for L6. There are bound to be a number of typos, inconsistencies, omissions ... so let's cut them some slack and see if they respond quickly with corrections

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 983
JohnB | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 18 2014 11:55 PM

MJ. Smith:
here are bound to be a number of typos, inconsistencies, omissions ... so let's cut them some slack

Yes   Yes  Yes  
I can't explain why but this also initially cause me some frustration and irritation until I worked out the full names. Like hanging a new toy in a box with a combination lock. It was just out of reach and you knew if you just found the correct combination you would get it! You can't find that combination so you start hammering on the box!!

Posts 1471
Angela Murashov | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 3 2014 3:15 PM

JH:
but I cannot figure out the correct search terms in Factbook for many books (e.g. 1 John, Acts, 2 Peter, etc). Anyone get the Bible Book Guides to work for these types of books?

This has been fixed in 6.0b Beta 1.

Bible Book Guides will now appear when the Bible reference is entered. No longer requires specific ‘First Epistle to’ or ‘Gospel of’ to choose Biblical Book Guides.

Posts 702
JH | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 3 2014 6:23 PM

Angela Murashov:

JH:
but I cannot figure out the correct search terms in Factbook for many books (e.g. 1 John, Acts, 2 Peter, etc). Anyone get the Bible Book Guides to work for these types of books?

Bible Book Guides will now appear when the Bible reference is entered. No longer requires specific ‘First Epistle to’ or ‘Gospel of’ to choose Biblical Book Guides.

Nice! I look forward to it making it out of Beta soon.

Posts 18715
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 3 2014 6:35 PM

Wow, this is a great new feature! I hadn't discovered it yet. Here's further discussion of the feature for others who like me are hearing about it for the first time: https://community.logos.com/forums/t/92714.aspx 

Posts 22006
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 4 2014 12:04 AM

Angela Murashov:

JH:

Thanks for fixing this - really helpful

Posts 1258
LogosEmployee
Dylan Rondeau | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 14 2015 2:06 PM

JH:

Angela Murashov:

JH:

Nice! I look forward to it making it out of Beta soon.

6.0b has just shipped to stable users.

Dylan Rondeau, Software Tester

Enable Logging: Mac | Windows (Right-click "Save As...")

Page 1 of 1 (19 items) | RSS