STOP THIS NOW More Massive Update Or Is This Something Else?!!!!!

Page 1 of 1 (18 items)
This post has 17 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 2753
mab | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Oct 29 2014 7:41 PM

So I'm finally getting almost to the halfway point of Monday morning's albatross downer. And suddenly there's about another half gigabyte more showing up in the download. Really?!?

Why can't Logos post this information, so we know what's going on?

We can't tell what's in our downloads. It's impossible to see what's the accurate total by staring at mere percentage points of a gigabyte download. I've been using a file mover utility for decades that very accurately tells how fast and how much a given file set is moved or copied. And at least one bible software company does this already.

It's bad enough we're given a download bomb right before a major release. But this system is now breaking the infrastructure and patience of your customers. 

So is this download bomb two or is it part of some other update since I won't be able to see anything until it's completed hopefully by tomorrow when I get to do it all over again for the three other computers that need updating.

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Posts 4155
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 29 2014 8:16 PM

I don't work for logos.

I am simply a customer.

Put simply, you don't speak for me. Sorry you are having a hard time, but don't include me in in your blanket statements ("your customers").

For what its worth, I haven't had any new downloads come down the pipe that I didn't request (I did buy about 8gb worth of products - but those have downloaded to my devices already).

I presume you're running yosemite, and that you're having the same glitches everyone else on that operating system is experiencing. Just a shot in the dark here, but it may be that they download a chunk, verify it, and if it fails, re-download. With as much trouble as that OS seems to have downloading things, it wouldn't surprise me at all if some sort of corruption caused what you're seeing.

L2 lvl4 (...) WORDsearch, L9

Posts 33404
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 29 2014 8:20 PM

You are definitely having problems I did not have. Unfortunately, because of when I upgraded I can't accurately tell you what is in you next large download.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 2753
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 29 2014 9:07 PM

abondservant:
I presume you're running yosemite, and that you're having the same glitches everyone else on that operating system is experiencing.

Well it's Yosemite, but Yosemite hasn't had ill effect with all my other downloads. If Logos is going to piggyback a remedial download or whatever, they need to say so. And the basic zero to no information problem affects every customer receiving downloads.This isn't a new issue and it's perfectly viable to build in a few conditional clauses to keep us in the loop and make the download information readouts show real time precision values.

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Posts 18
Wayne Quernemoen | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 29 2014 9:59 PM

I live in an area of the USA where it is absolutely impossible to find an internet service offering more than 2 MBps down and 1/2 MBps up.  This is a truly rural area also without 4G, so no solution there..  With the total size of updates in the past week, I've had to defer a number of large tasks in order to minimize download time on my wireless connection.  If it were possible to have the option of purchasing DVDs for large updates, I certainly would have purchased them. All-in-all, the present series of updates began for me on the 22nd.  It literally took 1-1/2 days for the GB download on Sunday evening.  It is now nearly a week and I'm 28% into the latest update in addition to downloading L6.

All this being said, I will need to live with this situation until this part of the country begins to provide internet speeds commensurate with the GBps speeds now available in metropolitan areas.  If anyone at Faithlife knows of a solution to my dilemma, I'd sincerely appreciate an offer.  My stack of internet-related tasks not related to Logos is still growing!  At some point I will need to put a hold on updates to my distress!

Posts 2753
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 29 2014 10:51 PM

Wayne P Quernemoen:
I live in an area of the USA where it is absolutely impossible to find an internet service offering more than 2 MBps down and 1/2 MBps up.

Wayne

I'm stuck on 1.5mbps. When I called my provider, they told me that greater speed was unavailable where I lived. I need to have discussion with them because I was getting 2mbps or slighty better before with them. 

It's certainly a limitation for many who don't have good internet service.  

Posts 408
Erik | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 29 2014 11:18 PM

mab:

Wayne P Quernemoen:
I live in an area of the USA where it is absolutely impossible to find an internet service offering more than 2 MBps down and 1/2 MBps up.

Wayne

I'm stuck on 1.5mbps. When I called my provider, they told me that greater speed was unavailable where I lived. I need to have discussion with them because I was getting 2mbps or slighty better before with them. 

It's certainly a limitation for many who don't have good internet service.  

I understand the frustration with slow internet speeds, but I don't believe it is the fault of Faithlife that you are experiencing issues.  We all should know that this is a hungry program and requires considerable CPU and HD resources, as well as solid internet connectivity.  I'm fortunate enough to have 66mbps/4mbps internet even though I live in the sticks (it can take me two hours each way to get to work/home).  I for one welcome the large downloads...it means Faithlife is working and healthy. Big Smile

Posts 905
Brother Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 30 2014 7:58 AM

There are, of course, solutions.  For those with limited bandwidth (me, for instance), it is entirely feasible to drive to an internet cafe with free wifi and download from there, likewise public libraries, etc.  I can even see calling the ISP and offering them a box of hot donuts if they would allow you to plug into their office ethernet for the duration of the download.  However, I do understand that creative solutions are not always convenient solutions.

We all have the ability to defer downloads by working offline, and then connect during off hours.

What I fail to understand is how it would help if Logos published the contents of a download prior to pushing it out.

"I read dead people..."

Posts 1130
Keith Larson | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 30 2014 8:08 AM

abondservant:

I presume you're running yosemite, and that you're having the same glitches everyone else on that operating system is experiencing. Just a shot in the dark here, but it may be that they download a chunk, verify it, and if it fails, re-download. With as much trouble as that OS seems to have downloading things, it wouldn't surprise me at all if some sort of corruption caused what you're seeing.

What are the Yosemite problems?

Posts 29790
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 30 2014 8:14 AM

Erik:
I understand the frustration with slow internet speeds, but I don't believe it is the fault of Faithlife that you are experiencing issues.

There is an issue with OS X Yosemite that I first reported in early October... It has taken a while to get to the bottom of it, but at least in some cases, users (including myself) are having difficulties with downloads. My original report was about a relatively small download (~300 MB) but became a BIG issue when the "massive update" hit and I had 1.8 GB to download. It isn't the "fault" of Logos, but it is an issue they will need to work out.

Keith Larson:
What are the Yosemite problems?

See this thread: https://community.logos.com/forums/t/93214.aspx

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 1130
Keith Larson | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 30 2014 8:14 AM

Wayne P Quernemoen:

I live in an area of the USA where it is absolutely impossible to find an internet service offering more than 2 MBps down and 1/2 MBps up.  This is a truly rural area also without 4G, so no solution there..  With the total size of updates in the past week, I've had to defer a number of large tasks in order to minimize download time on my wireless connection.  If it were possible to have the option of purchasing DVDs for large updates, I certainly would have purchased them. All-in-all, the present series of updates began for me on the 22nd.  It literally took 1-1/2 days for the GB download on Sunday evening.  It is now nearly a week and I'm 28% into the latest update in addition to downloading L6.

All this being said, I will need to live with this situation until this part of the country begins to provide internet speeds commensurate with the GBps speeds now available in metropolitan areas.  If anyone at Faithlife knows of a solution to my dilemma, I'd sincerely appreciate an offer.  My stack of internet-related tasks not related to Logos is still growing!  At some point I will need to put a hold on updates to my distress!

Wow and I thought I was in a back water location (my neighbor just purchased a camo covered living room suit, no home delivery of course they used their pickup!), but the local phone company can go up to 6 MBps and cable 75 MBps.

Posts 29790
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 30 2014 8:21 AM

Keith Larson:
Wow and I thought I was in a back water location (my neighbor just purchased a camo covered living room suit, no home delivery of course they used their pickup!), but the local phone company can go up to 6 MBps and cable 75 MBps.

Funny. Smile

I am on ~3MB DSL with no faster option until recently... a MUCH more expensive and CAPPED cable plan. I am sticking with the slower, but unlimited and cheaper option.

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 2040
Unix | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 30 2014 8:40 AM

I have capped internet over GSM, I don't know whether it's 3G or 4G but it didn't get much faster when the operator changed the USB stick of all customers (so I'm not sure what exact technology was introduced with the new stick). Soon I will have no internet. The latter part is a reason why I've been bulking up.*
To be able to install I have to wait until almost the turn of the month, start the download on the 31. and let it download overnight so that some of the download happens on the 1. Have to get up late in the evening to tell the computer to continue downloading of course, when it has reached the cap, it then keeps downloading at 64 kbps until midnight. Once about October 2013 when I installed it took about 1½ weeks to download Logos due to the cap (but the connectivity didn't interrupt, had to click once to tell it to continue when it reached the cap) - that computer got a virus that Winter.

I paid for internet last time in the late '90s.

Disclosure!
trulyergonomic.com
48G AMD octacore V9.2 Acc 11

Posts 2753
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 30 2014 9:30 AM

This morning I am up to 3.6GB. ???? Doesn't make sense at all.

Posts 382
Sacrifice | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 30 2014 9:55 AM

Our internet speeds are rather fast here. I just tested mine: 120.13 Mbps

Yours In Christ

Posts 27031
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 31 2014 4:22 AM

mab:
So is this download bomb two or is it part of some other update since I won't be able to see anything until it's completed hopefully by tomorrow when I get to do it all over again for the three other computers that need updating.

You conveniently forget the advice to use the scan command in this thread, in which you participated!?

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 2753
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 2 2014 12:08 AM

Dave Hooton:
You conveniently forget the advice to use the scan command in this thread, in which you participated!?

It turns out that it's not needed for PCs which have no trouble downloading. Also not necessarily approved by Logos. But thanks for the suggestion. 

Posts 27031
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 2 2014 6:42 PM

mab:
It turns out that it's not needed for PCs which have no trouble downloading. Also not necessarily approved by Logos.

The scan command is provided by Faithlife, so its use is approved. It's the use of copy/paste that is not approved!

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Page 1 of 1 (18 items) | RSS