[acknowledged]Reading Plans for monographs still need work

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
This post has 4 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 13379
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Oct 29 2014 8:58 PM

If I create a reading plan for a book, it attempts to break by chapter, rather than by page number.

This is better than random breaks mid-sentence, which is what we used to have, but it's still very unintelligent.

Page length and document structure needs to be taken into consideration. So:

1. Rather than simply reading 1 section per day (or 1 section every four days, or whatever it is), Logos should be willing to roll shorter sections together and spread longer sections apart.
  2. If there are more days in the plan than sections in the book, Logos shouldn't pad the plan with empty days. Instead, it should try and break at paragaphs within the section.

Posts 27941
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 29 2014 9:13 PM

Logos needs to create a system where users can manually create "readings." Perhaps a special kind of tag/note indicator causing a reading break?

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 27468
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 29 2014 10:04 PM

IIRC there was a page option in beta which we had them removeTongue Tied

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 27468
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 29 2014 10:12 PM

alabama24:

Logos needs to create a system where users can manually create "readings." Perhaps a special kind of tag/note indicator causing a reading break?

They have - in custom plans you may add a selection

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 2152
LogosEmployee
Andrew Batishko (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 29 2014 10:35 PM

I agree that reading plans for monographs still need work. My personal current "next step" goal is to be able to generate a sensible plan for the 131 Christians book. It's better than it was in 5, but still not quite there. I imagine now that we have all the smart-select information in resources, we have the potential to have much smarter algorithms for generating readings.

I will say that creating a generic algorithm to generating readings across all the different book available in Logos is a surprisingly difficult task. It's a constant attempt to balance relatively similar reading lengths across the plan against breaking in expected spots. Tweaks to improve the handling of certain cases frequently make other situations worse. It's a fun problem to work on. I would love to work on this at some point soon, but the realities of task prioritization mean that I can't make any promises as to when we might see the next set of improvements.

MJ. Smith:

IIRC there was a page option in beta which we had them removeTongue Tied

I believe you mean: IIRC there was a page option in beta which we had them remove Yes

MJ. Smith:

alabama24:

They have - in custom plans you may add a selection

Indeed. You can add selections. You can add milestones. You can add pericopes. You can even add references that will be opened in your preferred resource instead of being tied to a specific resource (the reading plan visual filter will show in all resources that index that data type). You can add readings from another reading plan (like a generated plan), or from a clippings document or a passage list.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS