Mark a book as read

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
This post has 11 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 59
Josh | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Oct 30 2014 6:16 AM

I have tons of books in my library, and I am setting a goal to read through as many books as possible (monographs, not reference books like dictionaries). Is there a way to mark the book as read after I finished reading them? 

Posts 12106
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 30 2014 6:17 AM

just give them a tag "read" in the library.

Running Logos 9 latest (beta) version on Win 10

Posts 2768
LogosEmployee
Andrew Batishko | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 30 2014 6:20 AM

I like to add a "finished" tag to the book after I get done reading it. Then I set up a collection for mytag:finished so I can search just in the books I've read or even exclude books I've read (in order to find new ones to read).

https://wiki.logos.com/Tagging#How_do_I_Tag_a_book.3f

https://wiki.logos.com/Tagging#Tagging_a_book_while_viewing_it

Andrew Batishko | Faithlife software developer

Posts 808
Kevin Maples | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 30 2014 6:20 AM

You might also consider using tags to mark which books you want to read next and even prioritize them to keep you from getting sidetracked. Like "ToBeRead-High" "ToBeRead-Medium" "Started" etc... I saw the to be read idea from Mark Barnes. 

Posts 2371
GaoLu | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 30 2014 6:41 AM

I also like to tag the year it was read and by whom---me or my wife.  

ToBeRead doesn't work for me.  I would just tag them all.  

Posts 3076
Doc B | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 30 2014 7:06 AM

NB.Mick:

just give them a tag "read" in the library.

I've never like that word as a tag, since it is both, "I once read that book," and, "I need to read that book."

I mark mine by putting a date first, year-month-day, then 'read'. That way, I know 'read' is past tense, and I have a date when I read the book. (There are some books worth re-reading every few years.)

So my tags look like one of these examples: 2010-02-00-read        2012-11-27-read

That means I read the first book in February of 2010 (didn't record the day on that one). I finished the second book on Nov 27, 2012. And so on.

Whenever I acquire a new monograph, I always add an 'unread' tag to it, so I can search those a little more easily. (I don't buy many books anymore...Logos has become something of a black hole for cash.)

I've heard suggested that adding a note to the book title allows you to put a flag there with a popup date of reading, but since Logos' highlighting/notes feature is so terribly intertwined as to be almost unusable, I don't do that method.

My thanks to the various MVPs. Without them Logos would have died early. They were the only real help available.

Faithlife Corp. owes the MVPs free resources for life.

Posts 808
Kevin Maples | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 30 2014 7:22 AM

Doc B:
Logos has become something of a black hole for cash.
That's the curse of Bibliophilics! I set an annual Logos budget and stick to it. Sort of ;) 

Posts 387
James Chandler | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 30 2014 11:58 AM

These are some really great tips.

Running on ASUS Windows 10 I7 24 gig of ram, 1 Terabyte drive.

Philippians 2:3 Do nothing from selfish ambition or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves.

Posts 29802
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 30 2014 12:02 PM

What would be really cool is if there were integration into "Goodreads"

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 382
Sacrifice | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 30 2014 12:03 PM

Thanks. That is a great idea.Cool

Andrew Batishko (Faithlife):

I like to add a "finished" tag to the book after I get done reading it. Then I set up a collection for mytag:finished so I can search just in the books I've read or even exclude books I've read (in order to find new ones to read).

https://wiki.logos.com/Tagging#How_do_I_Tag_a_book.3f

https://wiki.logos.com/Tagging#Tagging_a_book_while_viewing_it

Yours In Christ

Posts 3297
David Taylor Jr | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 30 2014 12:17 PM

I've never even thought to track which resources I have read in full.  Great idea!

Teacher, Ministry Leader, Student, Author, Husband

How to upload logs

Visit My Site: Reformed Truths

Posts 3076
Doc B | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 30 2014 2:12 PM

alabama24:

What would be really cool is if there were integration into "Goodreads"

YesYesYes

My thanks to the various MVPs. Without them Logos would have died early. They were the only real help available.

Faithlife Corp. owes the MVPs free resources for life.

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS