Why are upgrades so expensive?

Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
This post has 13 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 13
Sonbird | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Oct 30 2014 11:48 AM

Purchasing a new product and upgrading from an existing version to the new version should not cost similar prices! Why is it so (almost prohibitively) expensive to upgrade from a previous version to the new version? I am on Version 5 Bronze and if I upgraded to Version 6 Bronze it is $200, but to upgrade to the next level up (Gold) it is almost $1000! Being a pastor of a smaller church I have the same passion to study and understand God's Word as a pastor from a bigger church, but far less resources available to do that. I wish Logos would review their pricing structure and level the playing field a little.

Posts 4768
RIP
Fred Chapman | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 30 2014 12:01 PM

Sonbird:

Purchasing a new product and upgrading from an existing version to the new version should not cost similar prices! Why is it so (almost prohibitively) expensive to upgrade from a previous version to the new version? I am on Version 5 Bronze and if I upgraded to Version 6 Bronze it is $200, but to upgrade to the next level up (Gold) it is almost $1000! Being a pastor of a smaller church I have the same passion to study and understand God's Word as a pastor from a bigger church, but far less resources available to do that. I wish Logos would review their pricing structure and level the playing field a little.

There are a couple of things to consider.

First, whatever you currently have remains whether you upgrade or not. Review the features and contents of the packages. What value do they have to you? I would encourage you not to get hung up on the package names (Bronze, Silver, etc.) You will not lose anything you have and if you choose to move to L6 you will only gain additional features and resources.

Second, if all you want is the L6 engine (I don't think that is going to come with much in terms of new datasets and resources) it will be available free of charge on Feb. 3rd, 2015 

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 30 2014 12:09 PM

Sonbird:
Purchasing a new product and upgrading from an existing version to the new version should not cost similar prices! Why is it so (almost prohibitively) expensive to upgrade from a previous version to the new version?

Note that you are in fact purchasing new resources and new data sets, not merely upgrading software.

I am also a pastor of a small church (about 60 people on Sunday morning) and have a limited budget. I have to be careful about how I spend my money as well. That's why I always go through the list of what's new to me and decide what is there that I would really make good use of. I add up the cost and if: 1) I can afford it and 2) the cost of the upgrade is less than the cost of purchasing what I want individually, I buy it. In fact, just calculating new books purchased, it's far less than US$2 per book (at least for my recent L6 upgrade). That's a pretty good deal, and reflects a pretty good pricing structure.

Some of what we talk about when we have limited budgets is how we prioritize our limited funds. You and I may even make the same amount of money and yet have different resources available for Logos. Because I have prioritized Logos, I keep funds set aside for purchases like this (about US$50-$60 per month). But that means I don't do other things that cost money (I don't have a smartphone, for example), so that I can do this thing.

I've been upgrading my library for over 20 years now, a little at a time. I'm a pastor of a small church and also in a small community. I don't have access to a theological library, so I need an extensive library. Without a doubt, Logos has been the least expensive and most comprehensive way of building that library. But it has taken many years to do that, and I still have some things on my wish list I could really use - but cannot yet afford (maybe someday).

You may also note that you don't have to upgrade at all, or if you do, you don't have to upgrade bronze to bronze. There are other options, including the crossgrades (3 different ways to do that as well, representing increasing amounts of data and capabilities). And if you want to wait, you could download the free Logos6 program (with no added content) sometime in February of next year.

I hope all this makes sense to you. 

I really suggest that you pray about this, talk with your wife and perhaps some friends who might understand and make a decision that is most in keeping with your calling and your budget. Then having decided, cultivate an attitude of being at peace with that decision. Don't get caught by the impulse to buy, just because it's possible, or because it's new, or because there's a discount.

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 1875
Alan Macgregor | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 30 2014 12:14 PM

I too am a pastor in a smaller church here in Scotland. So I have to contend with exchange rates as well. I too have a limited budget, so I am considering a Crossgrade. That will give me the datasets and features in Logos 6 at a much more modest cost. There are some things that I won't be able to do, but nothing that I need to do. However, I'm still doing my sums, so I haven't decided what to buy … yet!

Fred is right! Look at what you are being offered for your money. Is it stuff you need, or not? If not then don't bother upgrading, just crossgrade.

Every blessing

Alan

Edit: Richard has given a much more comprehensive answer than me. I was slower in responding. I would absolutely agree with him in what he says.

Alan

iMac Retina 5K, 27": 3.6GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9; 16GB RAM;MacOS 10.15.5; 1TB SSD; Logos 8

MacBook Air 13.3": 1.8GHz; 4GB RAM; MacOS 10.13.6; 256GB SSD; Logos 8

iPad Pro 32GB WiFi iOS 13.5.1

iPhone 8+ 64GB iOS 13.5.1

Posts 13
Sonbird | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 30 2014 12:21 PM

Hey guys thanks for your input and helping me to better understand some of the tech stuff behind this. I guess I may have misunderstood the upgrade part a little, added to frustrations with limited budgets and resources in a smaller community....ugh! Also gotta keep reminding myself on Who I lean to provide the tools for His work!

I love using logos and find it a great and easily accessible door to many resources...but we all need some space to complain every now and again ;)

Posts 3273
David Taylor Jr | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 30 2014 12:26 PM

I got the extended crossgrade and have been very pleased with it for what it is worth :)

Teacher, Ministry Leader, Student, Author, Husband

How to upload logs

Visit My Site: Reformed Truths

Posts 796
LogosEmployee
Gabe Martini (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 30 2014 12:27 PM

Sonbird:

Sonbird, I checked your account and it looks like an upgrade from Logos 5 Bronze to Logos 6 Bronze would deliver approximately $2,200 in content (107 new resources) for $210. If you'd like a list of what's new to you, you can see this on our upgrade page, or I'd be happy to email it to you. Just let me know!

Silver would actually be the next step up for you (not Gold), and that would be a total of 254 new resources (~$5,300 value).

Hope this helps! If you're only interested in upgrading to the new features and datasets of Logos 6 (no additional books or resources), then take a look at our Core and Feature Crossgrade options. And if you're happy with Logos 5, that's great too. It will continue working as normal, and will continue to be supported for a long time to come.

Product Department Manager
Faithlife

Posts 1875
Alan Macgregor | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 30 2014 12:30 PM

Sonbird:
but we all need some space to complain every now and again

That wasn't a complaint! Your post was a model of restraint! Angel

Philippians 4:11

Every blessing

Alan

iMac Retina 5K, 27": 3.6GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9; 16GB RAM;MacOS 10.15.5; 1TB SSD; Logos 8

MacBook Air 13.3": 1.8GHz; 4GB RAM; MacOS 10.13.6; 256GB SSD; Logos 8

iPad Pro 32GB WiFi iOS 13.5.1

iPhone 8+ 64GB iOS 13.5.1

Posts 13
Sonbird | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 30 2014 12:38 PM

Thanks Gabe...I am not exactly sure of what "Crossgrade" means and I need to better review the resources/books that come with the upgrade to see if it is worth the move. Also, I received a mail that recommended an upgrade to Gold, that was why I thought that Gold was the next step up...just marketing strategy?

Anyways, thanks for your reply.

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 30 2014 12:44 PM

Sonbird:
Also, I received a mail that recommended an upgrade to Gold, that was why I thought that Gold was the next step up...just marketing strategy?

Seems to be. Whatever you have, the recommended would be 2 steps up. At least that's been my, very limited experience.

That said, Gold is a really, really good value (if you can afford it).

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 796
LogosEmployee
Gabe Martini (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 30 2014 12:44 PM

Sonbird:

Thanks Gabe...I am not exactly sure of what "Crossgrade" means and I need to better review the resources/books that come with the upgrade to see if it is worth the move. Also, I received a mail that recommended an upgrade to Gold, that was why I thought that Gold was the next step up...just marketing strategy?

Anyways, thanks for your reply.

Ah, I understand. Sorry for the confusion there! We often recommend two levels up as a default upgrade.

Please let me know if I can give you some more detailed info on your options.

Product Department Manager
Faithlife

Posts 4111
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 30 2014 2:33 PM

Sonbird - I am Interim pastor of a church of about 30. A lot of the pricing depends on what you own.

For instance for me the Baptist Gold base package would only cost about a hundred dollars.

Pentecostal and Charismatic Silver was I think 16.

L6 Portfolio was a bit more at 1022. However, I believe it was well worth it.

Hope you enjoy and grow a lot from whatever you end up purchasing.

IF you don't have a salesman consider emailing Rusty Davidson (Rusty.Davidson@faithlife.com) he'll treat you right, calling or emailing sales is frequently cheaper than the prices you can get on the website. As I am also on the academic discount, if that applies to you, he knows the ins' and outs' of that system as well.

L2 lvl4 (...) WORDsearch, L9

Posts 2971
Doc B | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 30 2014 2:59 PM

Sonbird:
Why is it so (almost prohibitively) expensive to upgrade from a previous version to the new version?

Agreed.

Logos has become something of a black hole for my money. I've backed WAY off on purchases. I have nearly 3000 resources, and only ever use about 700 of them, ever. The rest came in base packages that I shouldn't have bought way back in L4. (No, this doesn't include the massive free Greek and Latin literature package...I ended up hiding all but about four resources from that.)

First, don't get caught up in the (in my opinion, idolatrous) fits of trying to buy everything you think you might ever need. Again, in my opinion, big base packages are a waste of money. Buy the resources you need/want, even though they cost more individually (that's a whole 'nuther ball of wax). Reading the forums all the time doesn't help. It's like going to the mall. You see stuff there you didn't know you needed, and end up buying it. The forums are the same way. Some specialized scholar thinks some esoteric resource is the best thing since sliced bread and raves about it on the forums, and then five hundred people who have no use whatsoever for that resource end up buying it. CP and PP are the same trap. Don't buy stuff just because it is 'cheaper'. If you need it, get it. Otherwise, you might as well dump your wallet in the toilet.

Second, consider the benefits of upgrading carefully. Just because it is out there doesn't mean you need it. I know folks still using Logos 3 (and still happy with it). I have upgraded, but did so by downgrading to a smaller base package (L5 Platinum to L6 Silver), so the Features crossgrade ended up only costing me about twenty bucks.

Owning more resources won't make you a better pastor, and it won't make you a better bible scholar. Buying specific resources that you'll actually use, might.

My thanks to the various MVPs. Without them Logos would have died early. They were the only real help available.

Faithlife Corp. owes the MVPs free resources for life.

Posts 5315
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 30 2014 3:09 PM

This upgrade contains not only many media content which no doubt were costly to produce but new resource datasets that had many hours of work put in them. For me to upgrade from Anglican gold to Anglican Gold 6.0 was $132 THIS included 54 new resources. It was more than I would like to have spent but after having used Verbum 6 over the past day I think it was money well spent. You will gain the benefit of the new program free of charge if you wait till February, there are a lot of bells and whistles I will never use but there are lots of other new features that are going to be very helpful in my devotional studies. I think the $200 would likely be worth it, if you find it is not worth it too you call within the 30 days and return it.

-Dan

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS