Essential features that need adding to the Atlas tool

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
This post has 5 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 13423
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Oct 31 2014 5:06 AM

I've been working with the Atlas tool quite a lot, and it's growing on me. It's obviously missing many maps, but it's also missing several features that really getting in the way of productive working.

1. The most obvious problem (which I reported here), is that when you choose a place, Logos doesn't pan/zoom to the correct location.
  2. When you click on Atlas links from the Factbook, it zooms in incredibly closely, which gives no context for the location. See screenshot #1. A zoom level of about 9 would be best, I think (currently it's 13).
    • However, at those zoom levels, you often can't see what you're looking for. See screenshot #2. A Google-style indicator over the location, that persists at all zoom levels is necessary.
    • An overview style map in the corner would also help give context.
  3. It also doesn't place the location in the middle of the map, which means it can be hidden by the key. See screenshot #3.

4. When you switch from one map to another, Logos zooms all the way back out. That's really frustrating when you want to compare a location during different time periods. Logos should maintain zoom/locations when you switch between Biblical World maps (but not with the event maps).

Screenshot #1 - zoomed in too far, so no context

Screenshot #2 - suggestion for an appropriate zoom (but then you can't see the city)

Screenshot #3 - location isn't centred, so key gets in the way

Posts 95
Jack Nørdam | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 31 2014 5:42 AM

You are so right, let's hope they'll fix it soon.

Posts 1002
LogosEmployee
Sean Boisen | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 31 2014 11:07 AM

Mark Barnes:

I've been working with the Atlas tool quite a lot, and it's growing on me. It's obviously missing many maps, but it's also missing several features that really getting in the way of productive working.

1. The most obvious problem (which I reported here), is that when you choose a place, Logos doesn't pan/zoom to the correct location.
  2. When you click on Atlas links from the Factbook, it zooms in incredibly closely, which gives no context for the location. See screenshot #1. A zoom level of about 9 would be best, I think (currently it's 13).
    • However, at those zoom levels, you often can't see what you're looking for. See screenshot #2. A Google-style indicator over the location, that persists at all zoom levels is necessary.
    • An overview style map in the corner would also help give context.
  3. It also doesn't place the location in the middle of the map, which means it can be hidden by the key. See screenshot #3.

4. When you switch from one map to another, Logos zooms all the way back out. That's really frustrating when you want to compare a location during different time periods. Logos should maintain zoom/locations when you switch between Biblical World maps (but not with the event maps).

Thanks for the feedback, Mark.

I believe an improvement to #2 is slated for the 6.0a update.

I believe we have an open case for #3: i also find it frustrating.

I'll talk with the developers about #4. I agree it would be helpful.

Posts 13423
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 31 2014 11:09 AM

Thanks, Sean.

Posts 607
LogosEmployee
Alan Palmer (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 31 2014 11:10 AM

#2 has been fixed internally and will be in an upcoming release (likely 6.0a).

Posts 812
Cynthia in Florida | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 31 2014 11:13 AM

Just want to say that I am someone who benefits from your smart recommendations!  THANK YOU!!!

Cynthia

Romans 8:28-38

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS