Helping my wife navigate Logos

Page 1 of 1 (20 items)
This post has 19 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 116
Donnie Vick | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Nov 1 2014 2:00 PM

I have been using Logos for years and continue to be amazed at how great this tool is for me in my studies.  However, my wife feels overwhelmed nearly every time she has tried to use it.  What suggestions might you have?  

Posts 1034
Mike Pettit | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 1 2014 2:01 PM

If it were not theologically difficult you could try a new wife

Posts 3703
Milkman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 1 2014 2:09 PM

I'm helping my mother in law with this very thing. Best thing to do is either have her watch some training videos or sit beside her and guide her through some very basic things. How to search, what the icons mean, saving layouts etc. Not that you have to be told this, but patience is a huge tool.

Good luck and I agree that Logos is amazing!

mm.

Donnie Vick:

I have been using Logos for years and continue to be amazed at how great this tool is for me in my studies.  However, my wife feels overwhelmed nearly every time she has tried to use it.  What suggestions might you have?  

mm.

Posts 5463
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 1 2014 2:09 PM

tootle pip

Mike

How to get logs and post them. (now tagging post-apocalyptic fiction as current affairs)

Posts 3703
Milkman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 1 2014 2:12 PM

I didn't even that Mike. Thanks.

mm.

Posts 116
Donnie Vick | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 1 2014 2:14 PM

I just updated to 6 today, but I'm not seeing the quick start videos

Posts 3703
Milkman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 1 2014 2:24 PM

I'm assuming you typed in quickstart in your library field?

mm.

Posts 5463
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 1 2014 2:25 PM

Milkman:

Yep - sorry too mean with the screen shot to make that clear.

tootle pip

Mike

How to get logs and post them. (now tagging post-apocalyptic fiction as current affairs)

Posts 116
Donnie Vick | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 1 2014 2:27 PM

I did, and the atlas feature doesn't seem to be working either

Posts 3703
Milkman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 1 2014 2:28 PM

I was actually replying to Donnie Vick

Mike Binks:

Milkman:

Yep - sorry too mean with the screen shot to make that clear.

mm.

Posts 3703
Milkman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 1 2014 2:29 PM

It's over my head. Either call Faithlife now or make a new thread and ask there. Lots of good helpers.

Good luck,

mm.

Donnie Vick:

mm.

Posts 3075
Doc B | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 1 2014 2:31 PM

Donnie Vick:
What suggestions might you have?  

In my experience, it is usually not smart to try to help my wife navigate anything. It never turns out well.

On the other hand, she usually is very helpful in helping me to navigate.

My thanks to the various MVPs. Without them Logos would have died early. They were the only real help available.

Faithlife Corp. owes the MVPs free resources for life.

Posts 959
Yasmin Stephen | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 1 2014 2:40 PM

I'd wanted to use Logos for years but the 'overwhelm' factor always held me back; it was so bad I wasn't even quite sure what the difference was between the free engine and a base package! I recently bought my first Logos base package and had my first upgrade about a week later (exciting!) and both times I got a set of Quickstart videos.  These videos have been very helpful in introducing me to Logos; after I watched the first two, I was able to breathe a big sigh of relief and become confident I would eventually get the hang of things. I'm sure these will be equally helpful to her.  And the forums are amazing as well; I've been bookmarking posts like mad, with the intention to go back later and try out the advice/tips so graciously given out.  I'm loving my Logos experience so far Smile

Posts 3703
Milkman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 1 2014 2:41 PM

Well said.

Yasmin Stephen:

I'd wanted to use Logos for years but the 'overwhelm' factor always held me back; it was so bad I wasn't even quite sure what the difference was between the free engine and a base package! I recently bought my first Logos base package and had my first upgrade about a week later (exciting!) and both times I got a set of Quickstart videos.  These videos have been very helpful in introducing me to Logos; after I watched the first two, I was able to breathe a big sigh of relief and become confident I would eventually get the hang of things. I'm sure these will be equally helpful to her.  And the forums are amazing as well; I've been bookmarking posts like mad, with the intention to go back later and try out the advice/tips so graciously given out.  I'm loving my Logos experience so far Smile

mm.

Posts 5625
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 1 2014 2:42 PM

Donnie Vick:

I'd either:

• Have her use the home page "Go" field to automatically open up passage or topical study layouts.  It does open up a lot of windows, so it might still be overwhelming.  In that case:
  • Teach her to use a passage guide from the menu directly.   Create her a custom passage guide to cut down on the clutter and remove things she wouldn't use.  If that is still annoying to her, then:
  • Create her a custom layout with only a Bible window and an Explorer window linked together.  The Explorer window will give her quick access to commentaries and cross references (and other things).  Collapse the Explorer sections she doesn't use to make it faster.

Finally, the mobile Logos apps might be an even more-accessible way to let her use the library if you have a mobile device.

Wiki Links: Enabling Logging / Detailed Search Help - MacBook Pro (2014), ThinkPad E570

Posts 33404
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 1 2014 2:49 PM

Regardless of who you are teaching the principles are simple:

• Start with something like a Bible study guide, a bible and a bible dictionary in a preset layout.
  • Teach how to get the Bible to show the references mentioned in the guide and how to find definitions
  • Teach how to make simple notes and fill in the answers [wait a few days]
  • Add in a study Bible or one volume commentary and how to navigate to it. [wait a few days]
  • Add in using right click menus to find more information from Bible facts [wait a few days]
  • Introduce home page devotionals and lectionaries - including default lectionary layout.
  • Introduce a simple search [wait a few days] ...

In planning an introduction of Logos into a parish the plan is to provide a cheat sheet of essential skills with a live demo the first week then add a new Logos skill each week until class end. Documentation, filters, palettes etc. for each new skill will be on the class Faithlife.

I would teach a husband in the same way ... although my notes would be sketchier assuming that he could always ask.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 995
Josh Hunt | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 1 2014 8:54 PM

with any technology, you have to sit in front of it and feel stupid for a while. Logos and a lot of stuff, 90% of I NEVER use. I'd aquant her with the main features and explain that it is OK to just use a small part of it. 

Posts 9627
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 2 2014 3:48 AM

Josh Hunt:
with any technology, you have to sit in front of it and feel stupid for a while.

How true at times Smile

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 506
Tim Taylor | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 2 2014 4:46 AM

If you can't find the training videos in your library, you should just go to this link:

https://www.logos.com/training

Here you can find basic training videos for how to use the Mac or Windows software as well as how to use the mobile apps, etc. Definitely a great place to start for someone new like your wife. I hope this helps. :)

Posts 824
GregW | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 2 2014 4:49 AM

Donnie Vick:

I don't think anyone replied to this directly Donnie. The new Atlas feature isn't accessed from the Library, but in the Tools menu under "Reference". 

Running Logos 6 Platinum and Logos Now on Surface Pro 4, 8 GB RAM, 256GB SSD, i5

Page 1 of 1 (20 items) | RSS