New search capabilities don't all work for me

Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
This post has 14 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 959
Yasmin Stephen | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Nov 1 2014 10:27 PM

The new search capabilities are hit and miss for me:

New Search: {Milestone} (works)

New Search: {PassageList} (does not work; I have one Passage List with cross references for 1 John 1:1-4 with lots of instances of the word "life")

New Search: {Speaker} (does not work; the second search pane was launched from a sample link in the About post for this search function)

New Search Data Types: Factbook and Sense (works)

For the ones that don't work, am I doing something wrong? Aren't these supposed to work on all configurations? I have a Starter package with a Core Crossgrade.

Posts 2830
Don Awalt | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 2 2014 3:35 AM

I don't think you are using the syntax quite correctly. For example, 

{PassageList MyPassageListNameExactly}, where "MyPassageListNameExactly" is the exact name of your Passage List document on the Documents menu, and Logos 6 will find any of the references in that list.

So I search everything, a collection, a set denoted by a tag, etc. with {PassageList MyPassageListNameExactly}, and it finds where in that collection etc. there is a match from the Passage List I denoted.

It looks like you are trying 

{PassageList "search term"} expecting to see where the search term is in your passage lists. That is not how it works. You can do that a different way:

Set up a basic search of Your Documents, for a Bible verse, range etc. (remember a passage list is a list of passages not their text ultimately), like this:

<=Genesis 2:15> (be sure and add the = sign; you can abbreviate the bible verse for example Ge2.15)

PassageList is "Find this specific list of passages (in a Passage list)  in the group of resources I specify". I think you'll find the others that appear not to work are a similar issue.

Posts 2830
Don Awalt | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 2 2014 3:39 AM

The Speaker example you are searching Bible. As it is a general search term, you should use Basic search. I find 82 references of Abraham speaking in the ESV. Remember these are all Basic Search syntax, not Bible.

Posts 959
Yasmin Stephen | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 2 2014 4:44 AM

Don Awalt:

The Speaker example you are searching Bible. As it is a general search term, you should use Basic search. I find 82 references of Abraham speaking in the ESV. Remember these are all Basic Search syntax, not Bible.

Thanks for the suggestions. This is what I get when I follow Bradley's instructions:

This is what I get when I follow your instructions:

I'm obviously doing something wrong; I just can't figure out what it is. The Passage List search is not faring any better. I'll check another time; too early to be stressed out on the Lord's Day Smile

Posts 13420
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 2 2014 4:53 AM

Yasmin,

{Speaker <Person Abraham>} is correct, and works. If it doesn't work, either there's a typo (I can't quite see), or you don't have speaker labels unlocked (needs Silver or above, or Feature Crossgrade or above), or there's been an indexing problem.

In your case, it's because it's not unlocked (it's the "Reported Speech Dataset" you're missing).

BTW, it helps if you can add full resolution screenshots using the paperclip icon. It's pretty hard to read small images uploaded to a third-party site.

Posts 824
GregW | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 2 2014 5:11 AM

Mark Barnes:

Yasmin,

{Speaker <Person Abraham>} is correct, and works. If it doesn't work, either there's a typo (I can't quite see), or you don't have speaker labels unlocked (needs Silver or above, or Feature Crossgrade or above), or there's been an indexing problem.

In your case, it's because it's not unlocked (it's the "Reported Speech Dataset" you're missing).

BTW, it helps if you can add full resolution screenshots using the paperclip icon. It's pretty hard to read small images uploaded to a third-party site.

There is one other thing that's worth trying. I typed in the search exactly as Yasmin has it, and it produced no results. If, however, I do an "Everything" search I do get results. To do this, I selected "Basic" as the type, then selected the first blue item on the next line, and changed it to "Everything". That produced for me 131 results in the NIV (my preferred Bible) and thousands of hits in my library. 

Edit: I've attached a screenshot. 5344.Abraham.tiff

Running Logos 6 Platinum and Logos Now on Surface Pro 4, 8 GB RAM, 256GB SSD, i5

Posts 959
Yasmin Stephen | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 2 2014 5:12 AM

Mark Barnes:

Yasmin,

Ah, got it. Bradley should change his post then; the post says "Speaker search function is available in all Crossgrades and all Base Package levels." And thanks for heads-up on the screenshots!

Posts 959
Yasmin Stephen | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 2 2014 5:18 AM

GregW:

There is one other thing that's worth trying. I typed in the search exactly as Yasmin has it, and it produced no results. If, however, I do an "Everything" search I do get results. To do this, I selected "Basic" as the type, then selected the first blue item on the next line, and changed it to "Everything". That produced for me 131 results in the NIV (my preferred Bible) and thousands of hits in my library. 

Edit: I've attached a screenshot. 5344.Abraham.tiff

Mark is right, without the Reported Speech Dataset, it won't work for me. I tried your suggestion and still no results.

Posts 959
Yasmin Stephen | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 2 2014 6:04 AM

Regarding the PassageList search, I now realize I misunderstood its purpose. I thought the search would bring up passage lists with the references you searched for, rather than its true purpose, that it would bring up references that matched those in a passage list. Major doh moment! Embarrassed

Posts 27039
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 2 2014 6:05 AM

Yasmin Stephen:
Ah, got it. Bradley should change his post then; the post says "Speaker search function is available in all Crossgrades and all Base Package levels."

It won't work unless you have the Reported Speech dataset but the function is available in the software.

A search for <Person Abraham> also won't work as you need the Biblical Referents dataset!

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 959
Yasmin Stephen | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 2 2014 6:17 AM

Dave Hooton:

It won't work unless you have the Reported Speech dataset but the function is available in the software.

A search for <Person Abraham> also won't work as you need the Biblical Referents dataset!

Rub it in, why dontcha! Big Smile

My dream is to move up to Silver, and I can get all this plus Clause Search, which I'm really drooling over.

Posts 13420
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 2 2014 6:59 AM

Yasmin Stephen:
My dream is to move up to Silver, and I can get all this plus Clause Search, which I'm really drooling over.

The feature crossgrade also includes both these functions.

Posts 959
Yasmin Stephen | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 2 2014 1:59 PM

Mark Barnes:

The feature crossgrade also includes both these functions.

Mark, are you saying that, with the Feature Crossgrade, I'll be able to do clause searches as well? In that case, I'll seriously consider it, and move Silver further down the wishlist for now.

Posts 13420
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 2 2014 2:15 PM

Yasmin Stephen:

Mark, are you saying that, with the Feature Crossgrade, I'll be able to do clause searches as well? In that case, I'll seriously consider it, and move Silver further down the wishlist for now.

Yes. If you look at its product page, it includes everything you need:

Posts 959
Yasmin Stephen | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 2 2014 2:34 PM

Cool! I put it in my cart ... I'll stare at it for a while before I press go Stick out tongue

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS