Logos, Please Consider Making the “Free” Engine Available Right Away

Page 2 of 2 (38 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 37 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 94
Rokas | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 6 2014 2:08 PM

Rene Atchley:

I would exit my program license but I am afraid that the market for bible programs and libraries (like Logos) is quickly shrinking down to a very limited range of choices...demise of Quickverse and Wordshearch (bought in 2011).  At this point I am almost afraid not to do a minimal upgrade and hope the market don't die altogether...which means I will have to put up with what ever Logos puts out.

I am not sure what you mean by "demise", but they are actually quite alive - https://www.wordsearchbible.com/ Smile

Posts 771
Jerry Bush | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 6 2014 2:25 PM

Denise:

Plus I'm not sure, but does anyone else deliver free engine upgrades?

Denise - 

I am not sure if others do, but it is moot in the case of Logos.

At lease as far back as 2.0, which is when I bought it for the first time, free upgrades were promised for life.

It was on the front of the box itself.

Jerry

iMac (2019 model), 3Ghz 6 Core Intel i5, 16gb Ram, Radeon Pro Graphics. 500GB SSD.

Posts 4155
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 6 2014 2:58 PM

Jerry Bush:

Denise - 

I am not sure if others do, but it is moot in the case of Logos.

At lease as far back as 2.0, which is when I bought it for the first time, free upgrades were promised for life.

It was on the front of the box itself.

Jerry

As my preschool teacher used to like to make me sing... "Have patience, have patience, don't be in such a hurry...." "... remember remember that God has patience too, and think of all the time that others have to wait for you".

It is coming, it will be free. Did your L2 box say that the engine upgrades would be free the moment they were released?

I'm saying all this with a smile on my face, because I know how frustrated I was when L5 came out, and for the 48 hrs it took my order to go through. So I can and do relate to what you're going through. 

L2 lvl4 (...) WORDsearch, L9

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 6 2014 3:05 PM

abondservant:
THE ENGINE UPGRADE IS FREE. Just not yet.

I'll remind you that there is to be no discussion of theology on this forum Wink

[The contrast between Already and Not Yet]  For those from Rio Linda, this is a joke!

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 4155
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 6 2014 3:06 PM

haha :) funny guy George.

Posts 4768
RIP
Fred Chapman | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 6 2014 3:55 PM

George Somsel:

abondservant:
THE ENGINE UPGRADE IS FREE. Just not yet.

I'll remind you that there is to be no discussion of theology on this forum Wink

[The contrast between Already and Not Yet]  For those from Rio Linda, this is a joke!

You must be a Rush baby George

Posts 325
Rene Atchley | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 6 2014 4:41 PM

Rokas:

Rene Atchley:

I would exit my program license but I am afraid that the market for bible programs and libraries (like Logos) is quickly shrinking down to a very limited range of choices...demise of Quickverse and Wordshearch (bought in 2011).  At this point I am almost afraid not to do a minimal upgrade and hope the market don't die altogether...which means I will have to put up with what ever Logos puts out.

I am not sure what you mean by "demise", but they are actually quite alive - https://www.wordsearchbible.com/ Smile

Technical point perhaps but Quickverse and WordSearch were bought (or had a demise) by the purchase of both companies by LifeWay.

Posts 1085
JohnB | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 7 2014 7:30 AM

Fredc:
I think the reason for this strategy on each new release is a simple business decision. Hold back the free engine probably results in a certain number of people buying something (new package or some level of cross grade) before the free engine is released. I don't have a problem with that because I want Logos (oops Faithlife) to stay in business a long time.

Yes

Posts 98
Ed Blough | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 7 2014 8:05 AM

To show my ignorance is there a way to just buy Logos 6 and just the "datasets". 

I have all the resources (books) I desire and I just want Logos 6 and the "datasets"

I don't want to have to buy any more books, as my library indexing and Logos startup time is way too long for what I have now. I believe that adding books only increases this time.  That may be a false assumption.  

In any case I have no desire to buy a bunch of books I won't use, as I have said I have exactly what I want for now, I just want the datasets that go with Logos 6

Posts 25209
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 7 2014 8:12 AM

Ed Blough:
In any case I have no desire to buy a bunch of books I won't use, as I have said I have exactly what I want for now, I just want the datasets that go with Logos 6

For Logos 6 and all the new datasets you need the "Feature Crossgrade". For a reduced set of datasets you need the "Core Crossgrade". The "Extended Crossgrade" adds some additional resources which - if you don't want extra books - is probably not what you are looking for.

For details please see https://www.logos.com/compare/Logos%20Crossgrade 

Posts 29799
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 7 2014 8:54 AM

Ed Blough:
I don't want to have to buy any more books, as my library indexing and Logos startup time is way too long for what I have now. I believe that adding books only increases this time.  That may be a false assumption.

Yes, that is a false assumption. 

When you purchase new books, Logos will need to index the NEWLY purchased book. This is completely unrelated to startup time. FWIW - I just purchased the L6 "gold" package and decided to do a complete reindexing of my library. The smart user will do this overnight, which is what I did. The FIRST time I ever used Logos (several years ago) the indexing took more than 12 hours! I have since moved to an SSD hard drive, but my library is MUCH larger now (I have over 5,000 books). The entire process this go around was under 4 hours. I know because I checked the log file. Wink

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 4155
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 7 2014 11:55 AM

I can confirm Alabama's observations, except my computer is a wee bit faster than his.

almost double the titles, with a full re-index taking about 4.5 hrs.

Posts 1130
Keith Larson | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 7 2014 12:14 PM

If I remember correctly, doesn't Logos periodically do a full reindexing and so many partial reindexings or do we have to manually force it to do so?

Posts 2040
Unix | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 7 2014 1:00 PM

No:

Keith Larson:
doesn't Logos periodically do a full reindexing and so many partial reindexings

Yes we have to:

Keith Larson:
or do we have to manually force it to do so?

Disclosure!
trulyergonomic.com
48G AMD octacore V9.2 Acc 11

Posts 29799
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 7 2014 1:19 PM

Keith Larson:

If I remember correctly, doesn't Logos periodically do a full reindexing and so many partial reindexings or do we have to manually force it to do so?

<Mostly> no, it doesn't do a full reindexing... unless the index becomes corrupted. It used to be that the .db file would become corrupt, and the user would continue to get crashes. Now, when the file gets corrupted, Logos <tries> to rebuild it (through a reindexing).

Posts 1130
Keith Larson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 8 2014 8:31 AM

I a periodic manual rendering recommended from time to time?

Posts 29799
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 8 2014 11:33 AM

Keith Larson:

I a periodic manual rendering recommended from time to time?

Is a manual reindexing recommended? I have never heard that it is, although from time to time the index might become corrupted, which would lesson the effectiveness of searches. I performed a reindex twice recently: Once to help test the new indexing process (they asked for people to try it out) and then again after I had troubles with downloading my new base package. I thought that <maybe> the indexing process might not have been fully finished a couple of times so I let it run over night.

Posts 1776
JoshInRI | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 8 2014 12:35 PM

YesYesYes  <<<for the original post.

Page 2 of 2 (38 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS