Silver and Gold Decorations on Every.....

Page 1 of 1 (18 items)
This post has 17 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 3312
David Taylor Jr | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Nov 3 2014 7:24 AM

Ok, sorry, love me some Rudolph. 

Now to the real business.

My wallet and I are wrestling with Silver vs Gold for a base package upgrade.  I already have the crossgrade so datasets are not a consideration.

Also, What are your opinions on a denomination package vs standard?

Teacher, Ministry Leader, Student, Author, Husband

How to upload logs

Visit My Site: Reformed Truths

Posts 5632
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 3 2014 7:32 AM

David Taylor Jr:

My wallet and I are wrestling with Silver vs Gold for a base package upgrade.  I already have the crossgrade so datasets are not a consideration.

Also, What are your opinions on a denomination package vs standard?

That's a pretty personal decision, since we don't know what resources are likely to be valuable to you, or which ones you already have.  For example, Gold has the Pillar commentaries and UBS Handbooks which makes it a good deal (depending on your price), but if you already have them or don't want them, then the value of Gold isn't as great.

I think the denominational packages are strong, especially the Reformed ones.  I went with the Reformed Silver package because it had the Focus on the Bible commentary set plus several other resources I wanted.  (I already have most of the good stuff in the standard base packages).

Wiki Links: Enabling Logging / Detailed Search Help - MacBook Pro (2014), ThinkPad E570

Posts 3312
David Taylor Jr | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 3 2014 7:35 AM

Todd your answer actually helped quite a bit.  I'm not really interested in the UBS handbooks.  I like commentary, but also very interested in ancient texts.

How to upload logs

Posts 5632
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 3 2014 7:45 AM

Your best bet (and what I do) is to look at the "new to you" resources in each package.  Identify the ones you really value (especially the higher priced ones) and add up the costs to purchase them separately.  I generally ignore the inexpensive single volumes that I can buy individually over time (unless there is a good number of them), plus there is usually a bunch of stuff I don't care to have or find of little value.

If buying the package is significantly cheaper than buying that list of valuable resources, then buy it if you can afford it.

If there isn't anything you really want, then save your money for other resources. Did you look at the bundles?

Wiki Links: Enabling Logging / Detailed Search Help - MacBook Pro (2014), ThinkPad E570

Posts 3312
David Taylor Jr | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 3 2014 7:54 AM

Todd Phillips:

Your best bet (and what I do) is to look at the "new to you" resources in each package.  Identify the ones you really value (especially the higher priced ones) and add up the costs to purchase them separately.  I generally ignore the inexpensive single volumes that I can buy individually over time (unless there is a good number of them), plus there is usually a bunch of stuff I don't care to have or find of little value.

If buying the package is significantly cheaper than buying that list of valuable resources, then buy it if you can afford it.

If there isn't anything you really want, then save your money for other resources. Did you look at the bundles?

I've looked at some of the bundles but not extensively.  I'm actually debating on the Baptist packages.  I had kind of written those off and hadn't really looked into them but your response peaked my interest again, they are actually quite impressive.

How to upload logs

Posts 5632
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 3 2014 8:08 AM

David Taylor Jr:
I've looked at some of the bundles but not extensively.  I'm actually debating on the Baptist packages.  I had kind of written those off and hadn't really looked into them but your response peaked my interest again, they are actually quite impressive.

Well, if you are going to look at the bundles, do it before you buy a base package because they are discounted when purchased at the same time (in the same cart) as a base package.

Posts 3312
David Taylor Jr | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 3 2014 8:12 AM

Thanks for the tip!

How to upload logs

Posts 959
Yasmin Stephen | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 3 2014 8:38 AM

Todd Phillips:

Well, if you are going to look at the bundles, do it before you buy a base package because they are discounted when purchased at the same time (in the same cart) as a base package.

That may work with the crossgrades as well; I got a discount on a Baptist package bundle when I bought it together with a  crossgrade.

Posts 3312
David Taylor Jr | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 3 2014 8:39 AM

I believe they are treating crossgrades as base packages and they are also listed on the Base Package page.

How to upload logs

Posts 959
Yasmin Stephen | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 3 2014 8:43 AM

David Taylor Jr:

I believe they are treating crossgrades as base packages and they are also listed on the Base Package page.

Sorry, I meant a Baptist bundle, not package.

Posts 3312
David Taylor Jr | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 3 2014 8:59 AM

Yasmin Stephen:

David Taylor Jr:

Sorry, I meant a Baptist bundle, not package.

I knew what ya meant! Wink

How to upload logs

Posts 8899
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 3 2014 9:00 AM

David Taylor Jr:

You bought a crossgrade before the base package? In that case, ask to return the crossgrade before the base package is processed. Then buy the crossgrade again, if necessary, to get any remaining datasets. You'll pay less that way.

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 5632
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 3 2014 9:02 AM

fgh:

David Taylor Jr:

You bought a crossgrade before the base package? In that case, ask to return the crossgrade before the base package is processed. Then buy the crossgrade again, if necessary, to get any remaining datasets. You'll pay less that way.

Yes

Posts 3312
David Taylor Jr | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 3 2014 9:02 AM

fgh:

David Taylor Jr:

Would it not wash out in the end?  Dynamic pricing will work on the base package as well or so I thought.

How to upload logs

Posts 8899
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 3 2014 9:25 AM

David Taylor Jr:
Would it not wash out in the end?  Dynamic pricing will work on the base package as well or so I thought.

It does, but the cost/dataset is more expensive in crossgrades and cheaper packages, so you may pay $5/dataset, but get credited $1/dataset, while if you buy the package first you would pay $1 and get credited $5 (figures totally invented, and completely dependent on what packages we're talking about, but the principle is correct, I believe).

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 3312
David Taylor Jr | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 4 2014 8:18 AM

fgh:

David Taylor Jr:

It does, but the cost/dataset is more expensive in crossgrades and cheaper packages, so you may pay $5/dataset, but get credited $1/dataset, while if you buy the package first you would pay $1 and get credited $5 (figures totally invented, and completely dependent on what packages we're talking about, but the principle is correct, I believe).

Hmmm, interesting, doesn't make any sense, but interesting lol

How to upload logs

Posts 12166
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 4 2014 8:27 AM

David Taylor Jr:

fgh:

David Taylor Jr:

Hmmm, interesting, doesn't make any sense, but interesting lol

David, FWIW, I fully believe she is 100% right on that.

Running Logos 9 latest (beta) version on Win 10

Posts 3312
David Taylor Jr | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 4 2014 8:44 AM

I don't doubt the correctness, just find it odd.  That's all.

However, after three days of talking with sales I am just sticking with the crossgrade, simply can't afford the upgrade. Sad

How to upload logs

Page 1 of 1 (18 items) | RSS