Multiple Monitors

Page 2 of 2 (34 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 33 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 179
Trey Selman | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 24 2010 3:15 PM

Timothy, it should.

The name of the device is Lenovo USB-to-DVI Adapter -- information page.

I have an Lenovo x200t, but this usb device is not dependent on the computer. I have used it on two desktops that I own as well as my x200t Tablet.

As with any display device you do need to make sure you have the most recent drivers which sometimes can be a little tricky to find on the lenovo site.

Product Shopping cart

Product Users Guide

Posts 8602
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 25 2010 8:01 AM

I'm happy to report after a few weeks of solid testing that my plugable (not a typo) device (uga-2k-a) using the DisplayLink 195 chip and the brand new driver is doing a bang up job driving a 22" widepanel gateway monitor.

Bradley Grainger:

At the very least, DisplayLink lists incompatibilities with WPF applications in their latest driver release notes: http://www.displaylink.com/filestore/release_note/DisplayLink-5.2.22663-release_notes.txt

WPF issues appear to be a thing of the past altogether with displaylink.  I just updated their new driver yesterday for Win7 and intriguingly enough the displaylink monitor appears to have better response times with L4 than my notebooks VGA output (HD Radeon 4670 chip - 1GB RAM).  Go figure.

My current screen setup:  1680X1050 (Radeon VGA output)  | 1600X900 (Laptop) | 1680X1050 (displaylink adapter).

Truth Is Still Truth Even if You Don't Believe It

Check the Wiki

Warning: Sarcasm is my love language. I may inadvertently express my love to you.

Posts 1931
David Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 24 2012 6:49 PM

Ward Walker:

Mark A. Smith:

... What sort of video card/chip do you have on your computer? ...

I have a Dell Studio XPS 435MT Desktop (i7) with an ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series graphics card (dual DVI).  After I got rid of my initial driver problem, I haven't noticed any extra load on my processor...although I'd guess the USB 2.0 bus is pretty max'd...that is why I'm plugging each USB box directly into a USB port on my computer & not into a port replicator.  I've not tried this on a laptop yet, but I plan to within the next two months or so.

Regarding the warning from Logos, I did a lot of research before buying a device--I came to the conclusion that not all USB video extenders were equal.  In my case, I've been pleasantly surprised--it has been all I'd dreamed and very little of what I'd feared.  Don't get me started on Vista64 though... ;-)

What results did you get with the laptop?  I just ordered a Dell 15z i7 2640m processor as well as the Kensington SD420v port replicator with DVI.(I understand that this "docking station" uses DisplayLink technology to communicate with the external monitor). I bought the GeForce 525 with 2 GB video ram to increase my Logos performance. I will be using Win7 64-bit. I can connect the external monitor to the laptop via Mini Display Port or via the docking station. Will I sacrifice the benefit of the video card by using DisplayLink?

Making Disciples!  Logos Ecosystem = Logos8 on Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (Win10), Android app on tablet, FSB on iPhone, [deprecated] Windows App, Proclaim, Faithlife.com, FaithlifeTV via Connect subscription.

Posts 667
Jonathan Pitts | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 25 2012 3:59 AM

Daniel Arnott:

It's like a Bible Simulator!!

I want a joystick, a steering wheel, and a vibrating seat for the most exciting bits. ;-/

Posts 1204
Ward Walker | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 26 2012 8:05 PM

David, things worked great w/the monitors hanging off USB from my tablet laptop; at work I have 5 monitors off an HP tablet.  I'm hoping the LEAP (recently announced) enables me to have touchless touchscreen control across all those monitors--would be nice to be able to move focus a lot faster and to grab windows and move them faster.

I've not used true DisplayLink in a similar way; I've had a couple PCs that used DisplayLink to support monitors, but I always had to adapt that connector (I think to DVI) because our monitor contract doesn't include DisplayLink connections.  I seem to recall that DL can be daisychained, but have not been able to test that out without a DL monitor.

Posts 1931
David Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 27 2012 5:46 AM

Thanks Ward. You provide a great addition to the forum discussions!

Making Disciples!  Logos Ecosystem = Logos8 on Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (Win10), Android app on tablet, FSB on iPhone, [deprecated] Windows App, Proclaim, Faithlife.com, FaithlifeTV via Connect subscription.

Posts 291
Bob Schlessman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 27 2012 6:41 PM

Galaxy has a discrete graphics card (Galaxy 52GGF4AM5UXX GeForce GT 520 ) that allows up to four monitors to be connected. Haven't tried it myself but reviews that I have read are fairly positive. The downside is you need to have DVI monitors for it to work properly. VGA monitors with adaptors won't cut it. But the price is about $115. Also, don't expect wonderful 3d gaming performance. :-)

Though it is a little pricier than the USB option it might prove to be more reliable.

Posts 762
David A Egolf | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 29 2012 12:10 AM

When setting up monitors the rule should be "lower is better"!  Having the bottom edge of the monitor directly on the desktop works out just fine. 

Those with bifocals or progressive lenses really need to pay attention to this since either of these will cause the head to tilt back quit a bit when reading from a high screen.  Plain reading glasses can help.

For long reading sessions, I use my iPad or Android so that I can position the material so that I am looking down.

Posts 10
Brian R. Oberg | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 14 2012 6:51 AM

Dear Ward,

I purchased an external VGA video graphics card that installed well and gave me the third screen I wanted, but it caused Logos 4 to go invisible.  As soon as I unplugged Logos reappeared.  The company is Mad Catz so I must find another manufacturer.  I have located an ArkView USB - 1612 on newegg.com for @ $50.00.  The resolution is just right for my extra monitors.  I couldn't locate the 2011 that you have on TigerDirect.  Do you recommend that I purchase the 1612 and give it a try?  Thanks.  Brian Oberg (:-}).

Posts 1204
Ward Walker | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 14 2012 5:20 PM

Brian R. Oberg:

Dear Ward,

I purchased an external VGA video graphics card that installed well and gave me the third screen I wanted, but it caused Logos 4 to go invisible.  As soon as I unplugged Logos reappeared.  The company is Mad Catz so I must find another manufacturer.  I have located an ArkView USB - 1612 on newegg.com for @ $50.00.  The resolution is just right for my extra monitors.  I couldn't locate the 2011 that you have on TigerDirect.  Do you recommend that I purchase the 1612 and give it a try?  Thanks.  Brian Oberg (:-}).

Brian,

It looks very similar physically to what I use; perhaps they also used the same chip/driver software that the 2011 did--which works with Logos.  You can buy it, and if it doesn't work, perhaps return it.

Cautions:

•  It is hard to get the DisplayLink drivers uninstalled from a computer--I highly suggest uninstalling the drivers for the MadCatz BEFORE installing the ArkView drivers--otherwise, you may get the same issue again.
  •  Many DisplayLink drivers are known to cause issues with WPF, which is what L4Win uses to render the screens.  I haven't had the kind of problem that you describe (and which Logos has seen others have), but it is possible that even the ArkView DisplayLink drivers cause L4Win to work ever so slightly differently for me.  I've had some issues that Logos couldn't duplicate, and they thought my video drivers might be causing that.  I'm not so sure, since some of the problems only manifested themselves once LogosSync 2.0 was released.
  •  Nevertheless, I'm very happy with using the USB monitor extenders that I use.  Since I use a couple of them, sometimes the USB chain gets confused when my machine wakes up, and I have to disconnect the USB monitor extenders, plug them one at a time back into the USB cable, and then re-attach the monitor to each (they draw power from the USB cable AND the monitor cable, so you have to disconnect both to force the USB Monitor Adapter to reset the USB chain.)

Posts 10
Brian R. Oberg | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 15 2012 6:31 AM

Thank you Ward.  I also learned this from the Logos Tech:  "I have also found out that it is a bug in .net framework 3.5 SP1 which is what our software is built on, if/when we switch to .net 4.0 it will should work fine."  Have you heard this?  Any ideas when this switch may occur?  Brian Oberg (:-}).

Posts 1204
Ward Walker | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 15 2012 7:33 AM

This kind of a change would be a huge investment by their software developers; I'd assume it wouldn't happen until they decide to pursue L5--but by that time the industry may have changed so much that the mobile platform (Apple?) becomes the dominant place to use Logos and the desktop/local version becomes the minor app, used by folks w/no unlimited broadband internet access.  Just guessing...but things are really changing fast right now in the software world...

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 15 2012 8:22 AM

Ward Walker:
until they decide to pursue L5

They've decided that long ago. There are threads about it on the forums.

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 4
Federico Medina Jr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 19 2012 9:54 AM

Brian, did you ever try the 1612? I too am interested in multiple monitors with my laptop and Logos 4

Page 2 of 2 (34 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS