English Bible Collection (In program, not resource set)

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
This post has 12 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 325
Robert Wazlavek | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Nov 3 2014 11:22 AM

I'm trying to create a collection in Logos for English Bibles so I can compare different translations.  Unfortunately, I haven't figured out a rule set to accomplish this fully.  Below is what I currently have.  As you can see, there are resources in there that are not just normal English Bible translations.  Does anyone have a better rule set?  Or do I just have to bite the bullet and manually remove resources from the list?

Posts 4588
Forum MVP
Fred Chapman | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 3 2014 11:28 AM

type:bible AND lang:english

works for me without having to remove anything manually

Posts 325
Robert Wazlavek | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 3 2014 11:31 AM

Fredc:

I get this when I put that in.  Doesn't work for me for whatever reason.

Posts 4588
Forum MVP
Fred Chapman | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 3 2014 11:41 AM

I think I better understand your OP now. You want a collection that just shows maybe the ESV, NASB, NIV, KJV, etc.

As I understand you you want this for the purpose of comparing the text of a passage. If that is the case a collection would not be your best method. Better would be the Text Comparison tool

https://wiki.logos.com/Text_Comparison

You can also prioritize 5 bibles and use the 'Top Bibles' in a search drop down. It will show your top 5.

Posts 325
Robert Wazlavek | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 3 2014 11:47 AM

Fredc:

I think I better understand your OP now. You want a collection that just shows maybe the ESV, NASB, NIV, KJV, etc.

As I understand you you want this for the purpose of comparing the text of a passage. If that is the case a collection would not be your best method. Better would be the Text Comparison tool

https://wiki.logos.com/Text_Comparison

Yes, I want a collection with just normal English Bible Translations like ESV, NASB, NIV, etc.  If I'm not mistaken, you can't do a Search in a Text Comparison. I use the English Bible Collection to search in. For instance, I remember a phrase in the Bible, but I can't remember where it is in the Bible. So I search for the phrase in the English Bible Collection to try to find where the phrase is used and in what translation.

Posts 5610
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 3 2014 11:48 AM

Robert Wazlavek:

Fredc:

I get this when I put that in.  Doesn't work for me for whatever reason.

It's working correctly.  Those resources are all type Bible.   Many are single book translations done by a commentary author, but they are still considered Bibles even those they are partial Bibles.

You can drag the ones you don't want in the collection to the area labelled "Minus these resources"

Alternatively, you can create a collection without a rule by dragging the Bibles you want included from the library window (or from the resource list currently shown in the collection) to the "Plus these resources section" in the collections window.  Make sure the Starts with field is blank when you are done.

Wiki Links: Enabling Logging / Detailed Search Help - MacBook Pro (2014), ThinkPad E570

Posts 325
Robert Wazlavek | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 3 2014 11:50 AM

Todd Phillips:

It's working correctly.  Those resources are all type Bible.   Many are single book translations done by a commentary author, but they are still considered Bibles even those they are partial Bibles.

You can drag the ones you don't want in the collection to the area labelled "Minus these resources".

I knew it was working correctly per the rules. I was just wondering if someone has created a better rule set that can accomplish my goal. But if there isn't a better set, then I recognize that I'll have to manually remove resources.

Posts 5610
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 3 2014 11:57 AM

Robert Wazlavek:
I knew it was working correctly per the rules. I was just wondering if someone has created a better rule set that can accomplish my goal. But if there isn't a better set, then I recognize that I'll have to manually remove resources.

Not really.  There's isn't some field to use to include only popular full Bibles.  My Bible collections have all been manually edited. Some are a combination of rules and includes/excludes, and some are just a list of includes.

Wiki Links: Enabling Logging / Detailed Search Help - MacBook Pro (2014), ThinkPad E570

Posts 560
Scott E. Mahle | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 3 2014 11:58 AM

Robert Wazlavek:

You could try something like this - type:bible AND lang:english ANDNOT (title:(commentary,epistle,notes,apocrypha,book,books))

Just keep playing with the Title section until your happy with the resulting collection.

Logos Series X Pastor’s Library | Logos 3 Leader’s Library | Logos 4 Portfolio | Logos 5 Platinum | Logos 6 Feature Crossgrade | Logos 7 Essential Upgrade - Large | Logos 8 Methodist & Wesleyan Platinum and Academic Professional

Posts 4588
Forum MVP
Fred Chapman | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 3 2014 11:58 AM

I don't know how many different bibles you want to search, but if you prioritize five you can select 'Top Bibles' in the search pane and it will search those which are prioritized. 

Posts 4588
Forum MVP
Fred Chapman | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 3 2014 12:04 PM

What are you looking for that is different than this?

I remember there is a verse that includes the phrase "distress of nations" so I do this search

The result are a search of the English Bible collection I gave you above.

Posts 50
Darrell | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 3 2014 12:36 PM

This might yield a little better result but you'll still have to pick a resources out.

Dell Lap Top Win 10_Home,  Logos 7,    

Samsung gs7 phone

Posts 325
Robert Wazlavek | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 3 2014 12:56 PM

Todd Phillips:

Not really.  There's isn't some field to use to include only popular full Bibles.  My Bible collections have all been manually edited. Some are a combination of rules and includes/excludes, and some are just a list of includes.

Gotcha. I'll just manually do it then. Thanks everyone.

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS