Will it do any good moving up to the free engine?

Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
This post has 13 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 173
Wesley Crouch | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Nov 3 2014 12:07 PM

Hi I'm not trying to sound toooooo cheap, here but not all that long ago I moved up to the 5.0 Bronze and although I know that Logos is offering some great prices to upgrade, but upgrade isn't in my financial vocabulary right now. I though of getting the Free engine and just moving up to 6.0 anyway but I just wanted to know if I would be installing something with a lot of but unable to do any more than 5.0. 

Can anyone advise me? 

Posts 999
Mike Pettit | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 3 2014 12:14 PM

To make the choice easier you cannot, the free engine is not available until February (unless you were a 5.3 beta tester)

Posts 173
Wesley Crouch | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 3 2014 12:26 PM

Well, let's just say time flies whether you're having fun or not! Smile and a few months will go by before you know it.

I just wasn't sure if when it came, if just the Core engine was worth the trouble downloading and installing without the datasets and media.

Posts 5610
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 3 2014 12:26 PM

As Mike said, your options are limited right now.

However there many features that don't require specialized datasets which are included in the L6 engine:

• Send to Kindle
  • faster library
  • faster home page
  • inline search
  • "Search Everything"
  • Ask the Author
  • updated Notes (multiple attachment points and tags)
  • updated Bible Text Only visual filter

In fact, I believe you could go through the feature list posted here: https://community.logos.com/forums/t/92701.aspx  (fixed link)

and if the feature doesn't depend on a Faithlife-supplied dataset, then it's probably in the free engine (though it may be hard to tell in some instances).

Wiki Links: Enabling Logging / Detailed Search Help - MacBook Pro (2014), ThinkPad E570

Posts 5610
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 3 2014 12:32 PM

Wesley Crouch:

I just wasn't sure if when it came, if just the Core engine was worth the trouble downloading and installing without the datasets and media.

But even if there weren't any new features in the core engine it always be worth installing to get the latest fixes and be on the latest supported version.

Wiki Links: Enabling Logging / Detailed Search Help - MacBook Pro (2014), ThinkPad E570

Posts 27445
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 3 2014 12:37 PM

Wesley Crouch:
Can anyone advise me? 

Generally speaking, you should always update to the newest version of the engine. 

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 10038
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 3 2014 12:55 PM

Alabama, I'm thinking of the Logos6 features crossgrade, but keeping the Logos5 engine.  It offers a lot of horsepower that the Logos6 engine really can't match.

Posts 173
Wesley Crouch | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 3 2014 12:55 PM

Well, this may be seldom said on this forum, and I may be wrong in saying it, but I want to tell you all thanks for the helpful advice! I will probably make room in my schedule for this February to do some downloading then.  Thanks again!

Posts 386
Clinton Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 3 2014 1:27 PM

Mike Pettit:
(unless you were a 5.3 beta tester)

Is that an official beta tester or can someone who set update channel to beta and currently is running one of the betas update before February?

Posts 5610
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 3 2014 1:30 PM

Clinton Thomas:

Mike Pettit:
(unless you were a 5.3 beta tester)

Is that an official beta tester or can someone who set update channel to beta and currently is running one of the betas update before February?

I believe anyone who was running the 5.3 beta is included.  I don't think 5.3 had official testers.

See here: https://community.logos.com/forums/p/92878/650850.aspx#650850

Posts 386
Clinton Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 3 2014 2:26 PM

Thanks Todd.

Plan to upgrade but cannot right now.

Posts 2993
David Taylor Jr | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 3 2014 3:15 PM

Denise:

Alabama, I'm thinking of the Logos6 features crossgrade, but keeping the Logos5 engine.  It offers a lot of horsepower that the Logos6 engine really can't match.

Hmm

Teacher, Ministry Leader, Student, Author, Husband

How to upload logs

Visit My Site: Reformed Truths

Posts 7953
LogosEmployee

Todd Phillips:

However there many features that don't require specialized datasets which are included in the L6 engine:

• inline search

Inline Search is not in the free engine; it requires a crossgrade/upgrade purchase.

Posts 1241
HJ. van der Wal | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 5 2014 4:28 AM

Todd Phillips:
However there many features that don't require specialized datasets which are included in the L6 engine

Todd Phillips:
But even if there weren't any new features in the core engine it always be worth installing to get the latest fixes and be on the latest supported version.

I've installed the free engine on my spare desktop (windows technical preview) and it's definitely worth updating(/upgrading).

The new features (Wikipedia, exegetical outline, etc.) are great and even though I'm not able to use the Atlas there is no loss of functionality with the Factbook:

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS