Ancient Literature guide section

Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
This post has 14 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 98
Xegesis | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Nov 3 2014 12:24 PM

So my first and only purchase has been Logos 5 Silver.  If I purchase the Logos 6 Feature Crossgrade, will the  Ancient Literature guide section be of any use to me?  Or do I not have the resources to take advantage of it?

Do I need to purchase https://www.logos.com/product/46192/ancient-texts-and-translations-bundle-l  for it to work?

The Ancient Literature guide section is the only thing that interests me to upgrade to logos 6, so I don't know if it would be worth it or not with my library.

Posts 26292
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 4 2014 12:40 AM

It is not limited to resources you own so it is less dependent on your library than some features. My judgment is that it probably is of use at the Silver level but not at Bronze.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 59
Nathan Wells | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 4 2014 1:49 AM

I am also wondering about this. For example: do I have to own Ante-Nicene Father resources, or does the Ancient Literature Guide give them to me?

If the resources are not inherent in Logos 6, which "Ancient Literature" is compatible? How many resources would I have to buy to fully use this feature in a Logos 6 cross-grade? Is there a bundle that includes all of them (the bundle you linked to has some, but not all)?

EDIT:
Are these the only two bundles that work with the Ancient Literature Guide? Or are there more?

https://www.logos.com/product/46207/church-fathers-bundle-xl
https://www.logos.com/product/46193/ancient-texts-and-translations-bundle-xl

Posts 13348
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 4 2014 2:34 AM

MJ. Smith:
It is not limited to resources you own

What MJ means is that you will be able to see links to resources you don't own. You won't be able to view those links, though.

You can see what resources would get you the most use out of Ancient Literature here: https://community.logos.com/forums/p/93492/648985.aspx#648985 

With L5 Silver you have Schaff's Church Father's set, plus Philo and Josephus, so you're reasonably good for early Christian literature, and 'secular' Jewish literature. Without ANET or COS you'll have very little from the Ancient Near East, and without the Mishnah, Pseudepigrapha and Talmuds, you won't have much from Judaism.

Whether that makes it it worthwhile for you, rather depends on how interested your are in ANE and Judaism, and what your crossgrade price is.

Posts 98
Xegesis | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 4 2014 6:47 AM

It doesn't look like I have  Schaff's Church Father's set.  I wonder if I purchased the package when it didn't have it and they later added it.

Posts 9079
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 4 2014 7:39 AM

Nathan Wells:
I am also wondering about this. For example: do I have to own Ante-Nicene Father resources, or does the Ancient Literature Guide give them to me?

The tool gives the references. To see the references you need the resources. There is no bundle or base package that includes them all.

Take a look at this post.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 13348
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 4 2014 7:43 AM

Xegesis:

It doesn't look like I have  Schaff's Church Father's set.  I wonder if I purchased the package when it didn't have it and they later added it.

L5 Silver has always included the fathers (though not all the denominational silvers did).

It's this: https://www.logos.com/product/5771/early-church-fathers-protestant-edition 

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 4 2014 8:33 AM

Xegesis:
Do I need to purchase https://www.logos.com/product/46192/ancient-texts-and-translations-bundle-l  for it to work?

Depends on what kind of ancient literature you're interested in. That bundle would be good for ANE links and similar. For Judaica, you'd need something like the Jewish Bundle. For Church Fathers, the ECF would be a good start, but the Church Fathers Bundle a better.

If you intend to buy many bundles, or own a lot in the other bundles already, compare with the price of the Master Bundle.

For anyone wanting to pick up just the ECF, check your dynamic price for Verbum Basic.

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 10123
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 4 2014 8:54 AM

For anyone else thinking about it, and if you're a 'middle of the road' Logos user, then in order of what you will likely get used:

- Josephus (probably why Josephus was in many of the early church bibles)

- Church fathers (earlier apostolic and 2nd century)

- Mishnah (typically as background)

After this, the usage begins to narrow down:

- Pseudepigrapha (especially if working in the DSS and if studying Eph, 2Pe or Jude

- Philo (more rare)

- ANET or COS (especially for more liberal connectons in the OT)

- Talmud  (usually an expansion on the mishnah, for a detailed quote)

Obviously this is just my observation. Others will have other opinions.

Posts 98
Xegesis | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 4 2014 9:24 AM

So if I added

https://www.logos.com/product/46192/ancient-texts-and-translations-bundle-l

Would the 'Lightfoot's Apostolic Father in English' be good for church father's writings?  Looks like the xl package has everything but the Mishnah.

Posts 10123
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 4 2014 9:27 AM

The apostolic fathers were about 7 or 8 authors presumably in the early 2nd century.  The 'church fathers' follow in the late 2nd century and onwards.  So Lightfoot would pick up a few references (Clement, Papias, Ignatus, and Polycarp usually).  But elsewise not a lot of referencing.  The large 'fathers' package includes both 'apostolic' and 'church' (the latter then breaking down into latin and greek).

Actually, if indeed you like the new Logos6 feature, you're better off 'filling in the blanks' as you go along in your studies.  I know in my denomination, they never hit the 'fathers' (though I make heavy use of the apostolic ones).  So it varies by your studies.  The other reason is each of these Logos discounts during the year.

Plus the list is just current; Rick will likely be adding and adding. So again, it depends on your studies.

Posts 98
Xegesis | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 4 2014 9:35 AM

Thank you Denise

Posts 13348
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 4 2014 9:37 AM

Denise:

For anyone else thinking about it, and if you're a 'middle of the road' Logos user, then in order of what you will likely get used:

- Josephus (probably why Josephus was in many of the early church bibles)

- Church fathers (earlier apostolic and 2nd century)

- Mishnah (typically as background)

After this, the usage begins to narrow down:

- Pseudepigrapha (especially if working in the DSS and if studying Eph, 2Pe or Jude

- Philo (more rare)

- ANET or COS (especially for more liberal connectons in the OT)

- Talmud  (usually an expansion on the mishnah, for a detailed quote)

Obviously this is just my observation. Others will have other opinions.

I'd generally go along with that, though probably:

1. Church Fathers (early, generally mainstream Christian interpretation)
  2. Josephus (first century Jewish history)
  3. Pseudepigrapha (Jewish or Christian literature from the intertestamental period and later)
  4. Dead Sea Scrolls (Jewish literature from around the 1st century)
  5. ANET and/or COS (lots of interesting comparisons/contrasts with the surrounding nations during the OT period. Don't let the liberals have all the fun!)
  6. Mishnah (Jewish rabbinic thoughts, 2-3rd century)
  7. NT Apocrypha (less mainstream Christian interpretation, 2-5th century)
  8. Nag Hammadi (completely wacky [gnostic] Christian interpretaion 2-3rd century)
  9. Talmuds (much later Jewish thoughts)
  10. Philo (1st century Jew, but more influenced by Greece than Palestine)
Posts 26292
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 4 2014 12:17 PM

Come on Mark. No need to disrespect the Gnostics. We want everyone to be comfortable asking questions about Logos.Wink

Just need to make sure no one can justifiably claim I protect only my favorites.Smile

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 13348
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 4 2014 2:38 PM

MJ. Smith:
Come on Mark. No need to disrespect the Gnostics. We want everyone to be comfortable asking questions about Logos.

I was actually sitting in a Bible study this evening thinking about the post, and I thought, "I bet when I get home someone will be complaining that I've offended the gnostics!". It made me smile at the time, and your post has made me smile even more now Smile.

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS