Bug: Print/Export Font Scaling

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
This post has 7 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 128
Doug Dunbar | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Nov 3 2014 1:19 PM

Now that I have Logos 6 installed and indexed (wow that was painful...)... on to bigger and better things :)

I noticed that font scaling in resources in the normal view doesn't translate to the Print/Export screen. I've tried with a few resources, going from the maximum to minimum, but the print preview is always the same size.

Just wondering if this is a "new feature" or if there's something missing. I regularly use the minimum for printing to save paper, and it's quite readable for me. And I often adjust the size depending on the resource (using a larger size for something like the Lexham Clausal Outlines...).

Logos 6 (SR-3), MBP OSX 10.10..

Posts 8660
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 4 2014 4:43 AM

That may be a mac bug.  scaling the fonts in resources on Windows does scale the export.

Hmm Sarcasm is my love language. Obviously I love you. 

Posts 8660
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 4 2014 4:45 AM

Scratch that.  I just tested and it no longer works as it used to.

Bug.

Hmm Sarcasm is my love language. Obviously I love you. 

Posts 128
Doug Dunbar | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 10 2014 5:12 PM

SR 4 still no font scaling in print/export.

I also noticed that the only option to export is to Word, no Pages export?  

For now I'm copying to the clipboard and pasting into Pages, select all, and drop the font 2 points. Generally I can reduce the page count 50% - so from one commentary today, the Logos print/export would have run 20 pages, dropped that to 10, and I can - if desired - use the duplex function on the printer to double side... It would be nice to be able to access the printer functions from the Logos print dialogue...

Posts 361
Stephen Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 10 2014 11:28 PM

The print/export screen could be a lot more helpful.

It could act something like Notepad.

How about these features? ..... On screen font changes, deleting text, changing text size and bold etc, editing text (to get rid of American spellings!!), switching on and off footnotes, editing margins.

Stephen Miller

Sydney, Australia

Posts 152
Willie | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 25 2014 5:25 PM

Doug - I was also disappointed to see this change.  I had been doing the same thing as you in Logos 5, except that I had been increasing the size for more comfortable reading to my eyes  (your eye sight must be better than mine).  

Coincidentally, I few minutes ago, I submitted a suggestion to the Logos 6 UserVoice site which I titled, "Allow Users to Customize Font Style and Size From Print/Export".  My explanation for that suggestion read as follows:

"When printing from 'Print/Export', Logos 6 currently uses a small default font size and unknown default font style.  Neither of these can be changed.  I suggest users be allowed to customize the font style and size from within 'Print/Export'.

I also suggest Logos create a setting option which will allow the Copy Bible Verses tool to export Bible cross references and translator notes to an MS Word document without including footnotes.  Currently, if you want to use the Copy Bible Verses tool to export Bible text with cross references and translator notes you must also include all footnotes.  These footnotes waste a great deal of space on the printed page. 

Creating this option for the Copy Bible Verses tool will allow a user to read Bible chapters or passages on printed pages (easier on the eyes), observe the letter or number in the text indicating a cross reference or translators note exists, and then look it up electronically (using the Logos app or deskstop)."   

Posts 856
Michael McLane | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 25 2014 5:57 PM

This is exactly what I was trying to communicate here:

https://community.logos.com/forums/p/96682/666223.aspx#666223

But did a miserable job.

Thanks, Dave, for trying to help.

Posts 152
Willie | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 26 2014 10:52 AM

Doug - I edited the suggestion I submitted to the UserVoice site.  I addressed my specific issues but tried to also include language that would be helpful to anyone whether they want to increase or decrease the font size.  Please feel free to go to that site and add any comments you like.  The new version reads as follows:

"When printing from 'Print/Export', Logos 6 currently uses a small default font size and unknown default font style.  These settings cannot be changed. The printed default font size is uncomfortably small for my eyes.  Increasing or decreasing the font size of printed copies was at least possible in Logos 5 through the Resource Panel font size slider.  In addition, in Logos 5, it was possible to attach Bible notes (without cross references) to the footnotes section at the bottom of the page, but now neither one can be added. 

I suggest users be allowed to customize the font size and style of any resource from within 'Print/Export'.  For Bible translations specifically, I recommend the option of attaching Bible notes (literal renderings, alternate translations, or explanations) within the footnotes section at the bottom of the page since these notes are so critical to comprehending the translated Bible text.  Regarding Bible cross references, I recommend the option of including or omitting them from the printed footnotes section since, although they are very important, they take up a lot of space on a printed page, tend to obscure the Bible notes, and can be accessed electronically for further study. 

In addition, I suggest the same Bible notes and cross reference options be added to the Copy Bible Verses tool when exporting Bible chapters/passages to an MS Word document.  Currently, if you want to use the Copy Bible Verses tool to export Bible passages with notes and cross references in the text, you cannot omit the cross references and keep the Bible notes within the footnotes sections."

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS