L6 vs L5 Speed

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
This post has 5 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 128
Nathan | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Nov 3 2014 5:38 PM

I'm running an older Dual Core Macbook Pro maxed out at 4GB  Ram (Osx 10.7.5).  L5 is what I would consider barley usable on it.  It takes about 8 sec. just to load the ESV and then pretty laggy when scrolling.  I have pretty much decided that there will be no more Logos purchases until I get a new machine.  Its amazing to me that I can run just about any software I throw at it except my bible software! Argh dont even bring up the "I" word...Smile

Just curious how L6 is running on subpar systems compared to L5?

How about user feedback when using it?  One of my peevs with L5 is that when you click on icons to open books etc there is no indication that things are working (ie no rainbow wheel) it just sits there and then eventually opens.

The Labels features looks very interesting...

NB

Posts 9089
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 3 2014 5:58 PM

Nathan:

I haven't seen too much feedback on this, yet. The minimum Mac requirements for L6 are:

So as a minimum you'd need to upgrade to OS X 10.9.

L6 does some things faster. I find searches are quicker. It is possible indexing is faster too, but that's hard to compare.

Logos is tough. It does require a lot of computer power.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 24919
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 4 2014 12:43 AM

Nathan:

As you have to change OS for L6 and there are problems with the latest version, and L5 is barely usable, I would not recommend you install L6. A new machine is best for you.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 46
Cheez | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 4 2014 3:57 AM

Not using a Mac, but I noticed significant improvement in speed on Windows 8.1. Logos 5 was extremely slow on almost everything -  search, word study, sermon guide, passage guide etc. Logos 6 is pleasantly speedy. 

Posts 2201
Forum MVP
John Fidel | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 4 2014 4:09 AM

Hi Nathan, 

I installed L6 on MBP identical to yours. It was running the 5.3 beta. I am also running Yosemite. Those functions that are CPU intensive have improved greatly, such as indexing, preparing library etc. I do not find using L6 on the MBP frustrating, but it is not the experience I have using my 2012 MBP with SSD. Searching is fast, but rendering the results is still somewhat slow, but it was with L4 and L5.

In short, going to 64 bit has improved some areas and has not worsened others. As L6 gets tweaked I expect some additional improvements.

L6 is hard-drive and ram intensive. The best thing we can do is to replace the drive with SDD as we are both maxed out on how much memory our computers will allow.

Hope this helps. Let me know if there is anything specific you want me to run for you.

Posts 128
Nathan | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 4 2014 5:51 AM

Thanks John good info.   

It dawned on me last night after I posted the question that my hd is still using legacy encryption.  I tried decrypting the hd to see if there are any speed improvements, but after hours the process failed.  Maybe I'll pickup an SSD and do a clean install.  I'm sure there will be some improvements and I can always use it in a new machine.

Thanks everyone.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS