Apologies from new poster for violating Some Code post deleted.

Page 1 of 3 (56 items) 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 55 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 42
Chris Funkhouser | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Jan 12 2010 5:33 AM

deleted by user

Posts 579
Jim VanSchoonhoven | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 12 2010 8:37 AM

The are not the ony ones that have it on sale,  in fact I have had the Tyndale Commentaries bought, shipped clear across the country and loaded on my computer since last Friday and I paid, about 30.00 less.

Before I did this I called Logos and asked if they could meet the same price, and was told they were sorry, but in this case they could not!

I also picked up the Bible Speaks Today Commentary for an additional 59.99, which was 10.00 more than they had it for on sale a few months back, but still a great deal.

Not to worry, Logos will get me on something else soon!

In Christ,

Jim

Posts 42
Chris Funkhouser | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 12 2010 9:16 AM

I know what you mean I have more invested in Logos than most vehicles I have owned are worth. I am just always looking for the best deal on my limited budget.

Chris

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 12 2010 9:18 AM

Post deleted:  

Because Chris is a great role model on how to conduct one's self on the Logos forum. I want to be like that too. Cool

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 12 2010 9:35 AM

Christopher Funkhouser:

I know what you mean I have more invested in Logos than most vehicles I have owned are worth. I am just always looking for the best deal on my limited budget.

Chris

No need to apologize; we are too...it's just touchy to mention it here on the Logos forum... Big Smile

God bless brother....

bob

Robert Pavich

For help go to the Wiki: http://wiki.logos.com/Table_of_Contents__

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 12 2010 10:38 AM

Robert Pavich:
No need to apologize; we are too...it's just touchy to mention it here on the Logos forum... Big Smile

Chris, Jim & Robert,

I, too, look for bargains. I think it part of being a good steward. My only objection was posting it in Logos forums. I know no harm was meant. (I am a "touchy" one that cringes to see these posts. If you think me overly-sensitive please forgive me and bear with me.) The parable of the hidden treasure is remarkable to me because the one who discovered the treasure did not announce his great find but ran out and purchased the field without fanfare. Wink  Matthew 13:44

Thanks Chris and hope you keep posting LOTS more.

Posts 42
Chris Funkhouser | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 12 2010 11:21 AM

I will be real honest, I felt a little attacked after your post Matthew. I considered posting in retaliation, and justifying my position. However better judgment ensued and I deleted my post. A simple posting about not undercutting Logos on their own boards, would have sufficed without all the justifying Logos price, which I believe aimed at guilt. I was not on a rampage, I thought I was just assisting others in the Logos community in a way that I would like to be assisted. As to future posting, I will probably hold mine to seeking help with problems I face, because I do not know the unwritten rules of posting here.

thanks,

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 12 2010 11:31 AM

Christopher Funkhouser:
I will be real honest, I felt a little attacked after your post Matthew. I considered posting in retaliation, and justifying my position. However better judgment ensued and I deleted my post.

Christopher,

You are an example to myself and many here...well done brother.

You are among friends and Christian brothers....welcome... Big Smile

Robert Pavich

Posts 26278
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 12 2010 11:34 AM

Christopher Funkhouser:
As to future posting, I will probably hold mine to seeking help with problems I face, because I do not know the unwritten rules of posting here.

I hope that you reconsider - the "rules" are not oppressive:

1) be polite

2) stick to topics related (sometimes loosely) to Logos

3) remember that Logos sponsors the site (i.e. don't post advertizements for competetors)

Yes, I'll admit that there is a difference of opinion on how to apply the "rules" so if you get called on something take it as the opinion of the author of the post, not of the forum as a whole.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 12 2010 12:33 PM

Christopher Funkhouser:
I thought I was just assisting others in the Logos community in a way that I would like to be assisted. As to future posting, I will probably hold mine to seeking help with problems I face, because I do not know the unwritten rules of posting here.

Sorry I jumped on it so vigorously. I hear your spirit of helpfulness and know you intended no harm. With that kind of character I hope you will post freely & often. Thank you for not retaliating in kind.

Posts 1646
SteveF | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 12 2010 10:08 PM

I thought I was just assisting others in the Logos community

Well Christopher, I believe that you were!

& Thank you

Not all of us subscribe to the "party line." But these days (as you now well know) it seems wise to be a part of the "silent" whether a "majority" or not.

(and yes I've read every competing post on this subject).

Stevef

Regards, SteveF

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 13 2010 3:01 AM

SteveF:

Not all of us subscribe to the "party line." But these days (as you now well know) it seems wise to be a part of the "silent" whether a "majority" or not.

(and yes I've read every competing post on this subject).

Steve,

C'mon...that's not fair.

This is Logos' forum and they've made it clear that while they won't police anyone, they expect people to use their good judgment and that using competitors links on a forum owned and maintained by Logos is not what they'd like to see....

The "party line" was delineated by your host here...Logos.

I would think it would be obvious that if I came to your house...and you asked my not to talk about certain subjects while there....and I did, would you not consider that to be wrong?

I should think so brother.

bob

Robert Pavich

Posts 1646
SteveF | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 13 2010 10:52 AM

Robert Pavich:

I would think it would be obvious that if I came to your house...and you asked my not to talk about certain subjects while there....and I did, would you not consider that to be wrong?

I should think so brother.

I guess then, Bob, that we have come full circle back to the earlier  "Hamburg Stand" illustration used earlier by Logos officials.

My point, is, that yes, I agree with you that "competing" Products have no place.

BUT most products mentioned here, are "not" differing brands of "hamburgs" -- they are the vary "same"  hamburgs but packed into  different "wrappers" -- "and" they have been licensed by the same "kitchen." The home kitchen gets a "cut' from every "burger" sold, even at the shop across the road.

And yes, as is his right, one of the the "cooks" has had some of these offending posts deleted from this forum. The message portrayed is "We don't want any other Logos re-sellers to profit from our site, let them set up their own." Fine. But that does not mean that the rest of us  must then become an overzealous bunch of eager-to-please "keeners" immediately jumping on every "newbie" who un-wittingly puts his foot into an unexpected "hornet's nest." 

A recent post either started off or ended with "Now, please don't 'flame' me." (Nice hamburg analogy).

Another ended with "I'm now ready to be (reprimanded/upbraided?) etc.

That to me sounds like there is a systemic problem within these forums.   To see how "protective" some people can become on behalf of Logos search discussions on the use of the term "beta" in regard to this software.

(I guess I will have to remain "in-sensitive" in some of your eyes.) 

Thanks

Steve

Regards, SteveF

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 13 2010 11:32 AM

I know this is going to hose up the replies to this particular post...sorry...

I'm deleting this because I'm just not very bright and don't know when to quit.

Robert Pavich

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 13 2010 11:55 AM

SteveF:
Not all of us subscribe to the "party line."

I'm not the party nor the enforcer. My momma just raised a kid who respects the graciousness of the host.

SteveF:
But these days (as you now well know) it seems wise to be a part of the "silent" whether a "majority" or not.

One of the guiding principles of my life has been to carefully examine what the majority believes before jumping in with the crowd.

Whisper "Silence is good" Zip it! Especially when tempted to rob Peter to pay Paul.

Posts 1646
SteveF | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 13 2010 12:16 PM

Thanks Bob,

but see my comment in an earlier post:

QUOTE (and yes I've read every competing post on this subject).

I like reading Dan's comments. They are usually quite "interesting." But there is a "disconnect."  

There never is an acknowledgment that the "other" folks at some point, and in some way, had to get access to the product, and/or  get some kind of permission to sell the stuff (both of which implies already having either paid "royalties" or "wholesalers" prices to Logos).

On the other hand, if it "dropped off the back of a truck"  or if Logos gives "free" product to their re-sellers, then, yes, Dan has a very valid point.

Obviously, in your eyes, (and probably Dan's), I'm missing the point.

Steve

Regards, SteveF

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 13 2010 12:52 PM

SteveF:
Obviously, in your eyes, (and probably Dan's), I'm missing the point.

Yes Steve, you are missing the point.
The point is:     If you wish to cut off a sale from Logos, don't use their sword (forum) to do it.
If there were not a profit margin then no harm would have been done. But obviously the third party sellers have received some concession from Logos to re-sell the product. Part of that concession is the understanding the third party will have to market it themselves. When people post ads on the Logos forum pointing to third parties, they have just lopped off a hand or foot using Logos' sword. Not very good etiquette.

If you don't wish to cut off a sale from Logos, don't post diversionary comments. Or at least do it fairly by posting on their sites too.

If you pastor a church consider announcing the service schedules of neighboring churches from your pulpit next Sunday morning. Now do you see why it's not polite?

Posts 1937
Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 13 2010 1:14 PM

Robert Pavich:
EDITED TO ADD: FOR REFERENCE: (from Dan Pritchett)

This post has been heavily edited to leave out some important information.  The original post from Dan can be found at http://community.logos.com/forums/p/136/4581.aspx#4581

Most importantly, the post reveals that the policy of this forum is that there is no policy.

On this thread, it has been mentioned that we should be polite.  While we ought to be polite, we should reflect on what it means to be polite.  I would suggest we ought to be polite even to people who posts things that some believe should not be mentioned on this forum.  That is, if someone wants to write a so called "off topic post", and we don't agree with what is being posted, then we should simply ignore it and let the thousands of others on this forum who don't want to ignore it, enjoy it.  Isn't that what has been done with the "How to Hijack a thread" post?  or the "1000 club"  or the "Sarah Palin" thread?  Is the policy of being polite only to Logos and certain heavy users of the forum or does polite mean that when someone posts something like we see in this thread, we respond with a thank you and move on without dwelling on it?

The competition issue really baffles me.  As far as I know there is only one Logos and it just seems logical to me (though I know I might be wrong) that no one can simply produce and sell Logos resources without permission. Thus, I have never understood anyone to be a competitor. I have always understood all sellers to be partners.  I would appreciate enlightenment on this.  I mean I see for example, Logos selling Galaxie resources and I see Galaxie selling Logos resources.  If it is wrong to mention Galaxie (because they are a competitor), would it not also seem logical that Logos then is taking business away from Galaxie by selling resources produced by Galaxie?  I hope you can see my point.  I am not trying to cause a problem here.  I am simply stating that the competition issue is baffling to me.

Posts 569
J. Morris | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 13 2010 1:18 PM

Not really wanting to jump into the 'fray' here, but was wondering if there were any popular forum sites (that relate to Bible Study [spec. electronic]) that people COULD discuss those things that are frowned upon in these forums?

Posts 569
J. Morris | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 13 2010 1:20 PM

MarkSwaim:
The competition issue really baffles me.  As far as I know there is only one Logos and it just seems logical to me (though I know I might be wrong) that no one can simply produce and sell Logos resources without permission. Thus, I have never understood anyone to be a competitor. I have always understood all sellers to be partners.

Great post, and mirrors many of my own thoughts...  (ooops, I'm in the 'fray')

Page 1 of 3 (56 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS