three decrees of the baptist church

Page 1 of 1 (17 items)
This post has 16 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 11
Eugene Thomas | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Nov 5 2014 11:19 AM

Where can I find info on the three decrees.

Posts 28909
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 5 2014 11:28 AM

Are you looking for info on "reformed baptist" theology?

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 19124
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 5 2014 11:37 AM

Found nothing in Logos, but I googled "three decrees" baptist and found a few things:

This in a book called Millennial Harbinger (which is available as a free e-book download from Google Books):

And another possibility is that it refers to eschatology, though this wouldn't be particularly related to the Baptist Church I would think:

(This is from http://copwisecounty.org/eschatology-3/daniels-seventy-weeks-the-decrees/.)

EDIT: I'm guessing it's the first of the two above references that is what you're looking for, and here is more information on the history of the Salem Baptist Association with which those three decrees are associated:

http://baptisthistoryhomepage.com/salem.assoc.early.hist.html 

Posts 9406
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 5 2014 12:30 PM

Eugene Thomas:
Where can I find info on the three decrees.

I'm a Baptist and don't recognize this phrase, so more help on exactly what you are looking for would help.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 11
Eugene Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 5 2014 1:18 PM

Someone told me that the law of confession, law of repentance, and law of forgiveness were the three decrees of the church and I had never heard this before and I was trying to find some information to support this.

Posts 9406
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 5 2014 1:29 PM

Eugene Thomas:
Someone told me that the law of confession, law of repentance, and law of forgiveness were the three decrees of the church and I had never heard this before and I was trying to find some information to support this.

I'm sorry, I have not heard of these. Are you sure it was a decree of the Baptist church?

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 28909
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 5 2014 1:31 PM
Eugene Thomas:
I had never heard this before and I was trying to find some information to support this.
You should ask them for context.

Posts 30964
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 5 2014 1:32 PM

I found something on the decrees of God in reformed theology:

For one thing, Frame notes that there are many different relations referred to by the phrase “logical order.” He lists 13 different kinds of relations that can be implied by “logical order.” (Space does not really permit listing those, but you can look it up in Frame’s Doctrine of the Knowledge of God on pgs 260-263.) Horton does not indicate which one he has in mind when he qualifies that we are dealing with logical rather than temporal order, and so his analysis really does not clarify in what way the logic works out. Too see the different order, here’s a handy chart courtesy of Frame:

Supralapsarianism Infralapsarianism
Decree to bless the elect Decree to create
Decree to create Decree to permit the fall
Decree to permit the fall Decree to elect
Decree to send Christ Decree to send Christ
Decree to send the Spirit Decree to send the Spirit
Decree to glorify the elect

Decree to glorify the elect

But I suspect the reference is to the Baptist Confession of Faith of 1689: God has decreed in Himself from all eternity, by the most wise and holy counsel of ..... God continues to forgive the sins of those who are justified, and although they can ... confess their sins, ask for pardon, and renew their faith and repentance.

And all you Baptists here be embarrassed - I can't stand to read Calvin, I'm not particularly interested in theology and I'm CatholicStick out tongue Of course, I do have to admit to an inordinate love of creeds, confessions and statements of faith.EmbarrassedBig Smile

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 1032
Mike Pettit | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 5 2014 1:41 PM

Lets not forget Calvin "horrible decree", the whole concept of a decree is fundamental to the reformed position as an expression of God's sovereignty.

Posts 28909
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 5 2014 1:48 PM
MJ. Smith:
And all you Baptists here be embarrassed - I can't stand to read Calvin, I'm not particularly interested in theology and I'm Catholic
Hey now... Wink I did hint at this in my first post above.

Posts 11
Eugene Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 5 2014 1:55 PM

Thanks for all the help. It seems to me also after looking at the confessions of 1689 this is where this is coming from. Again Thanx

Posts 9406
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 5 2014 2:37 PM

MJ. Smith:
And all you Baptists here be embarrassed

Not embarrassed at all. If it were in the Baptist Faith and Message and I didn't recognize it then maybe I would be, although we don't recite that in our worship.

That was the Second London Baptist Confession of Faith you quoted (without reference to three individual decrees mind you). Very important historically although some feel the first one is more so. There have been dozens of confessions of faith by Baptists since. We are not a credal people but we do have 'confessions.' Because of the ecclesiology of Baptists, even confessions cannot be enforced on a church. They fade in significance to the Scriptures for defining who we are.

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 30964
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 5 2014 3:28 PM

What? I don't get to tease you a bitCrying.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 277
Ergatees | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 5 2014 5:50 PM

Well, that one was new to me and I have studied a lot of Baptist History. But A. Campbell and the Disciples and all that were familiar to me.

Let me take this a step further... What about "alien baptism"? Is it baptism of aliens or by aliens? Or What?

with a smile Cool

Ergatees

Posts 19124
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 5 2014 5:56 PM

Ergatees:
What about "alien baptism"? Is it baptism of aliens or by aliens? Or What?

Posts 277
Ergatees | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 6 2014 6:42 AM

Yep, your software is great! You must be using Logos. Stick out tongue Yes, the Landmarkers would be the ones I know best. They got baptism from the line of John the Baptist and rebaptise other Baptists who would enter their churches. That alienates a lot of people. Thanks for your research.

Ergatees

Posts 4122
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 6 2014 7:01 AM

Alien Baptism, or Alien Immersion occurs anytime ET is sprinkled or dunked;) We baptists keep them in our closet and bring them out annually in a secret "conclave". Where ET movie props are dunked. Joking of course, no offense intended.

On a more serious note, that phrase comes up specifically in my denomination when a Presbyterian, campbelite or catholic wants to join a baptist church, or the international missions board.

Ones baptism must have occured by one authorized by ones church to do so (which can mess with missionary children born and later baptized in the field), one must be immersed, and it must occur only after one has professed faith, and not done as a requirement, or co-requisite for salvation. Anything else is considered alien. I believe Alien is a term our detractors assigned to us that we owned over time, rather than chose for ourselves... However, there it is :)

EDIT: I see rosies post addresses this. Not all in the SBC are landmarkers, and it does seem to be a dying position taught by very few professors at the six seminaries. However Alien Baptism is a concept that persists.

L2 lvl4 (...) WORDsearch, L9

Page 1 of 1 (17 items) | RSS