Possible to Have Both L5 and L6 installed?

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
This post has 8 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 124
GeoPappas | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Nov 6 2014 5:29 AM

As the title asks, is it possible to have both Logos 5 and Logos 6 installed at the same time (without having multiple logins)?

This would allow someone to try out Logos 6.  They could then (a) see if they like it enough to permanently switch, (b) use Logos 6 alongside version 5 until they become comfortable enough to use Logos 6 permanently, or (c) "rollback" to Logos 5 if they don't like Logos 6.

Posts 3273
David Taylor Jr | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 6 2014 5:31 AM

If you can use Logos 5 you can use Logos 6, the core concepts of how things work are the same.  The new features are all you would have to learn so there is no downside to upgrading.  When you install L6 it replaces L5.

Teacher, Ministry Leader, Student, Author, Husband

How to upload logs

Visit My Site: Reformed Truths

Posts 23594
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 6 2014 5:40 AM

GeoPappas:
As the title asks, is it possible to have both Logos 5 and Logos 6 installed at the same time (without having multiple logins)?

David is right in what he says and, to specifically answer the question, the only way of running Logos 5 and Logos 6 on the same computer is from different accounts. Even then you would probably need to disable downloads for the L5  system or it would want to download the L6 upgrade.

Posts 124
GeoPappas | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 6 2014 5:59 AM

Thanks for the replies, but I have to respectfully disagree.

There are many reasons why Logos should allow both versions to coexist (without jumping through hoops).

For example, say I was in the middle of preparing a sermon and installed L6, but then ran into technical issues (as reported by many of the threads in this forum)?  If I had L5 also installed on my system, I wouldn't miss a heartbeat.  In general, you shouldn't use new software (sometimes called the "bleeding edge" for a reason) for production-level work (until all of the kinks have been worked out).

Or say I downloaded L6, but then really abhorred one of the features (such as is being reported in a thread here: https://community.logos.com/forums/t/93856.aspx)? If I had L5 also installed on my system, I could just uninstall L6 and revert back to L5.

Allowing multiple versions to coexist on a system is a computer industry standard (for the most part).  It is a standard for a reason.

IMO, Logos would save themselves a LOT of heartache (and complaints) if they would just allow this simple feature.

Blessings.

Posts 4112
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 6 2014 6:14 AM

As I understand it, technically it CAN be done, I don't remember the specifics.

It wasn't recomended, and it wasn't worth the extra hoops I'd have had to jump through, nor the extra wasted space on my hard drive.

My library consumes right around 40gb on my SSD. SSD space isn't exactly cheap, and I wouldn't want to give up any more space than I have to.

L2 lvl4 (...) WORDsearch, L9

Posts 23594
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 6 2014 6:28 AM

GeoPappas:

Thanks for the replies, but I have to respectfully disagree.

There are many reasons why Logos should allow both versions to coexist (without jumping through hoops).

Whether it should be allowed / possible is another matter. I was simply trying to point out that you can't do it at the moment (to the best of my knowledge) unless you use two accounts.

You can run Verbum and Logos side by side so that could be an option but I think you might still experience issues with the V5 product expecting to be upgraded to v6.

GeoPappas:
For example, say I was in the middle of preparing a sermon and installed L6, but then ran into technical issues (as reported by many of the threads in this forum)?

There have been a number of threads which speak about Logos 6 crashing - but, unfortunately, this was true in Logos 5 days as well.

GeoPappas:
Or say I downloaded L6, but then really abhorred one of the features (such as is being reported in a thread here: https://community.logos.com/forums/t/93856.aspx)? If I had L5 also installed on my system, I could just uninstall L6 and revert back to L5.

True - but it is worth noting that this particular thread refers to not liking the new homepage (and one of the reasons for the redesign was to address speed issues which many people complained about in Logos 5) and isn't really crucial to study. And here I'm not suggesting that those who are expressing their dislike for the homepage are wrong - just that I wouldn't see it as a "study reason" to need to revert to Logos 5.

GeoPappas:
Allowing multiple versions to coexist on a system is a computer industry standard (for the most part).  It is a standard for a reason.

Yes for some products but no for others. 

GeoPappas:
IMO, Logos would save themselves a LOT of heartache (and complaints) if they would just allow this simple feature.

Alternatively, having to support these different configurations would probably add extra support issues.

And - as noted above - this capability is already possible by the expedient of setting up an extra account on your system.

Posts 124
GeoPappas | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 6 2014 7:00 AM

Graham Criddle:
You can run Verbum and Logos side by side so that could be an option but I think you might still experience issues with the V5 product expecting to be upgraded to v6.

Thanks.  Is the basic Verbum software a free download?  If so, where is it available?  Also, would Verbum load all of the resources / books that I currently own in Logos?  Or does it only load Verbum resources / books?  Do you know where I can learn more about this?

Graham Criddle:
There have been a number of threads which speak about Logos 6 crashing - but, unfortunately, this was true in Logos 5 days as well.

Yes, and this was an issue with the upgrade from L4 to L5 as well.

GeoPappas:
Or say I downloaded L6, but then really abhorred one of the features (such as is being reported in a thread here: https://community.logos.com/forums/t/93856.aspx)? If I had L5 also installed on my system, I could just uninstall L6 and revert back to L5.

Graham Criddle:
True - but it is worth noting that this particular thread refers to not liking the new homepage (and one of the reasons for the redesign was to address speed issues which many people complained about in Logos 5) and isn't really crucial to study. And here I'm not suggesting that those who are expressing their dislike for the homepage are wrong - just that I wouldn't see it as a "study reason" to need to revert to Logos 5.

And that is one of the things that makes us all human - We all have differing opinions on what is important and what is not.  The original poster of that thread stated that it is obviously a show-stopper for them and they want to rollback to L5.  Another poster in that thread stated that they are not going to upgrade to L6 because of the issue.  So it IS important to them.  Personally, I don't think that the issue in that thread would prevent ME from upgrading, but it would be good to know that I could try out L6 (alongside L5) and then uninstall it if it caused me issues.

GeoPappas:

Graham Criddle:
Alternatively, having to support these different configurations would probably add extra support issues.

They already have to support L5 and L6.  Don't they also support L4 as well?  IMO, this wouldn't add anything extra to the equation.  But with the current situation, there are people that will upgrade and then become very unhappy.  What are they supposed to do now?  Please correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think that there is a way to rollback from L6 to L5 (without making some sort of backup first).  Is there?

Graham Criddle:
And - as noted above - this capability is already possible by the expedient of setting up an extra account on your system.

Yes, I understand that, but that puts the onus on the customer to be technically savvy enough to do this.  It also leads to a completely different set of issues.  And as far as I know, there isn't any other software out there that requires you to setup a completely new Windows account in order to use another version of their software (but I am sure there is something out there that someone will find just to prove me wrong Wink).

Blessings.

Posts 4112
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 6 2014 7:12 AM

Verbum is free to download (v5 I believe v6 will be available to download in feb).

The homepage change for me is a dramatic improvement that i am grateful for, and do not understand the push-back its recieved (3 or 4 people have complained that I have seen).

Anytime you run multiple versions of the same software on your computer the onus is on the customer to make it work.

Office, and windows require extra steps and extra knowledge to make it work, to my knowledge IE, and Firefox won't let you install multiple versions side by side. Many adobe products won't let you have two versions side by side.

I guess I don't understand this "industry wide" statement either.

EDIT: 5.2b is the lowest supported release as I understand it.

L2 lvl4 (...) WORDsearch, L9

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 6 2014 12:29 PM

GeoPappas:
would Verbum load all of the resources / books that I currently own in Logos?

Yes. Which means you'd need space for two complete installations, and two indexings.

GeoPappas:
And that is one of the things that makes us all human - We all have differing opinions on what is important and what is not.  The original poster of that thread stated that it is obviously a show-stopper for them and they want to rollback to L5.  Another poster in that thread stated that they are not going to upgrade to L6 because of the issue.  So it IS important to them.  Personally, I don't think that the issue in that thread would prevent ME from upgrading, but it would be good to know that I could try out L6 (alongside L5) and then uninstall it if it caused me issues.

The OP turned out to have bugs affecting what she saw. And the new homepage could just as well have come as a part of 5.2 or 5.3 or 5.4. Are you going to make double installations to try out every release?

GeoPappas:
 IMO, this wouldn't add anything extra to the equation.

How something works in itself is one thing. How something interacts with something else is another. Then multiply that with the number of combinations.

GeoPappas:
Please correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think that there is a way to rollback from L6 to L5

I would think a complete reinstall should work. Time-consuming, but less so than what you're talking about doing.

And what did you intend to do if you don't like it? Stay on 5 as it gets more and more buggy, until your computer breaks down and your new one can't handle it any more? Doesn't sound like a good idea to me... 

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS