Layouts: A Question

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
This post has 4 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 439
Mark Stevens | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Nov 6 2014 5:52 PM

Hello, I'm wondering if people might be able to post screenshots on layouts they use for sermon preparation. One of Todd's training videos got me thinking about how I layout bibles, notes, commentaries etc. When I tried his suggestions I liked the flow but because I use a 15" laptop the boxes are too small. I wondered how others use layouts?

I hope you're all enjoying Logos 6. I love it. It has a crisper look, seems to load and index faster, and, it has spell check! (thank you for listening Bob) Geeked

Posts 439
Mark Stevens | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 7 2014 2:11 AM

Being cheeky and bumping this Geeked

Posts 24137
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 7 2014 1:53 PM

Mark Stevens:

Being cheeky and bumping this Geeked

I think people are pre-occupied with Logos 6 issues, so you might get a better response in the General forum

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 2142
Forum MVP
John Fidel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 8 2014 6:09 AM

Hi Mark,

I am going to try and explain my study layout. It is my starting point for most of my studies. I am not a pastor, but perhaps you can take away a few ideas to incorporate into your sermon layout.

Here is a screenshot of the layout I have shown my Information Window settings, which I use extensively, as being set to click and NOT hover. It makes it much more efficient and useful to get what I want, when I want. The Information Window is a great gateway to information pertaining to the text. If you do not incorporate this into your workspace, I really encourage you to see how much is available in this one window with links to the actual resources.

On the left I have the following guides:

My Passage Guide which is customized for the categories of commentaries. I have removed several sections that I do not use:

Next is My Exegetical Guide which is only customized so the word by word section does not populate unless I click on a word:

Next is the Cited By tool that allows me to get to specific collections linked to the Bible, PG and EG.

Next is the Information Window which is shown on the first screenshot and lastly on the left is a search window that is set to send searches here. I do this so all my searches open in this spot. I run separate searches from the toolbar if I want to save those searches.

The center is my preferred Bible ESV and below are linked NA28, Lexham Discourse, Open text Visual Graph, English Bible Text Comparison and lastly Greek Text Comparison. Shown here:

If I want to see more bible in context I simply click on the ones I want from the comparison tab and they open in separate tabs with the ESV above. I can then link them if I want to.

On the right I have lexicons: BDAG, Louw-Nida, Lexham Analytical (which ties to the Information Window) a LXX Lexicon and a few Hebrew Lexicons. (I will discuss why the LXX and Hebrew lexicons below) When I select a commentary or resource from any of the guides, they open on the right for reading.

With Logos 6, I have a floating Factbook that I just leave open. Whenever I link to Factbook this floating pane opens. I just works better for me than having it in a tab:

Now the part I really like about this layout is if I switch to an OT verse, the center bottom tabs all change as well. I was able to accomplish this by creating a series in the Library on those resources I want to switch. 

The NA28 switches to the Lexham Hebrew Interlinear (Sorry, my Hebrew is weak), The Lexham LXX, The AFAT Visual Graphs, English Bible Text Comparison and then Text comparison of the Hebrew and LXX... not really for word by word comparison, but to see them side by side.

I do not really use notes, but if I did I would set them up in a floating window or on a separate screen if I had one. The short cut icons at the top of the layout include: My Topic Guide, My Sermon Guide, Factbook, Copy Bible Verses, Power Lookup...

I hope this helps you with some ideas. If you have specific questions, get back with me and I will try and answer them.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS