Are we getting any more Catholic resources on prepub?

Page 1 of 2 (22 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 21 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 2829
Don Awalt | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Nov 7 2014 1:35 PM

It seems to me the number of new Catholic resources introduced into prepub has dried up to an extent...what I did to confirm or refute this was sort English prepubs by newest. I just so happens I ordered the CUA Thomas Aquinas Collection on the first day, so I could see when it came out (I don't think there is a way to see when prepubs were introduced that you did not order, is there?)

What that showed me was we have only had 4 new entries in the last 3 months, since August 5:

CUA Studies in Philosophical Issues (8 vols)

These beautiful bones

Wipf & Stock Spiritual Formation Collection (2 volumes)

How to see the Holy Spirit, Angels and Demons

----

So the pickings are pretty meager. I can't say these are the top of my list, and there have been quite a few, may I say numerous, suggestions on Catholic resources that I trust would be of more interest (as three of these 4 are only in :Gathering Interest"), including some saint, spiritual, and liturgical resources.

Can anyone gives us an indication on whether there is something to look forward here? I know things have been crazy with all the rollout of Logos 6 and bundles, but this has become quite discouraging, and it does not seem to have slowed down Orthodox, Reformed, and Anglican new prepubs entries.

Posts 29122
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 7 2014 1:54 PM

Did you see http://scripturestudysoftware.com/2014/10/20/teaching-and-learning-with-verbums-new-high-school-curriculum/

I suspect that the change in the product manager and some targeted projects that are less visible to the general user has temporarily diverted their attention. But if we build the market, Verbum will comeSmile

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 2038
Unix | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 7 2014 2:03 PM

What Anglican pre-pubs do You recommend? Not pastoral ones.

Aply!
trulyergonomic.com 6,200own
12G A9-9420 V8.6 Acc 11
d:'13Q3 12G

Posts 1602
Deacon Steve | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 7 2014 2:43 PM

MJ. Smith:

I did see that and was pleasantly surprised.  I am curious about the implementation and wondering what the target audience is, in terms of high school or college prep or beyond.  It would be interesting to see more detail on the resources used and how the feedback would work in a real live scenario.

Posts 489
LogosEmployee
Louis St. Hilaire | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 7 2014 3:26 PM

We haven't stopped working on acquiring new titles. The process from negotiation to pre-pub can sometimes take a while or get held up for many different reasons, so we sometimes get big waves when many things come through or dry spells where not much gets posted.

I know we've got at least one sizable batch of books that we're almost ready to start posting.

In the meantime, help us get a few more of these over the line.

Posts 2829
Don Awalt | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 7 2014 3:32 PM

Louis St. Hilaire:

A good list, I am in!!! Looks like they are all in development or with a ship date, yay!

Posts 1602
Deacon Steve | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 7 2014 3:38 PM

Louis St. Hilaire:

Louis, I'm looking at Lift Up Your Hearts already in my library.

?

Posts 489
LogosEmployee
Louis St. Hilaire | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 7 2014 4:32 PM

Steve:

Louis St. Hilaire:

Louis, I'm looking at Lift Up Your Hearts already in my library.

?

Lift up Your Hearts is included in Verbum 6 Scholar, Master and Capstone.

If you've ordered the pre-pub for Lift up Your Hearts but have already acquired it through the new base packages, we'll make sure your order is canceled before we process the orders (as we've done in situations like this before).

Note that Lift up Your Hearts is part of the Homilies Bundle. If you've acquired Lift up Your Hearts through the new base packages, you can get a dynamic pricing discount off the pre-pub price. (If you've already pre-ordered, dynamic pricing is automatically applied and should already be reflected on your orders page.)

Posts 2829
Don Awalt | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 7 2014 7:06 PM
Louis, while on the topic of new resources any chance of the Liturgy of the Hours being published? I realize it languishes in PrePub but it is such an important resource to clergy I can't imagine it wouldn't help get Verbum into some new inroads if it was published. https://www.logos.com/product/33008/liturgy-of-the-hours
Posts 41
Fr. Nicklaus Winker | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 7 2014 8:50 PM

Just to plug the Liturgy of the Hours Collection again. I've be in for it from the beginning. It's not just the English, but the Latin which are really hard to get a hold of in print. (I have them myself but they were quite expensive.)

I'd also love to have more of the rites book, particularly the Latin typical editions, as they can be very hard to get hold of too. 

Let's also push thought Aquinas's commentaries!

https://verbum.com/products/18438/aquinas-commentary-on-the-prophet-isaiah-english-and-latin

https://verbum.com/products/18439/aquinas-commentary-on-the-prophet-jeremiah-english-and-latin

Posts 2829
Don Awalt | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 8 2014 4:41 AM

Another thought on th LOH collection - in the US, just buying the 4 English translation books is $175 - $200 around here. The $74 cost is a wonderful price.

Posts 3575
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 8 2014 7:01 AM

The trouble with the LotH collection from the clerical perspective is that it does not include the Grail psalmody, which makes it almost useless to anyone obligated to pray the Office (i.e., priests, deacons, religious), as it is not sufficient to pray from to fulfill the obligation.

There are also free apps and whatnot that can allow clerics to pray the office that way.

EDIT:

Louis St. Hilaire:

I know we've got at least one sizable batch of [Catholic] books that we're almost ready to start posting.

I'm very pleased about this. (I hope there are Ignatius Press books in the pipeline, but even if not, I'm sure you've got some other good stuff lined up.) Why don't you announce this big bunch of books in a new and shiny Catholic Products forum?

Posts 41
Fr. Nicklaus Winker | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 8 2014 7:30 AM

The grail is to be purchased separately: https://www.logos.com/product/36574/the-grail-psalms

While there are free apps, which are most excellent, this would allow study more than just prayer. 

Posts 2829
Don Awalt | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 8 2014 10:33 AM

Fr. Nicklaus Winker:
The grail is to be purchased separately

Yes! And in fact if you go to that resource page, a resource hich has gotten "over the top" in PrePub, it says clearly:

Although they can be studied separately, the Grail Psalms are meant for use with the Liturgy of the Hours. Pre-order the Liturgy of the Hours to study the use of these psalms in modern liturgy.

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 8 2014 2:24 PM

Don Awalt:

we have only had 4 new entries in the last 3 months, since August 5:

CUA Studies in Philosophical Issues (8 vols)

These beautiful bones

Wipf & Stock Spiritual Formation Collection (2 volumes)

How to see the Holy Spirit, Angels and Demons

----

So the pickings are pretty meager.

Aren't these Catholic enough for you?

There's also half a dozen or more other CUA collections that were probably added the same day as the two you mention, or at least shortly before. And other books mixed in among them. Plus all the Spanish titles. https://www.logos.com/products/search?Status=Pre-Pub&sort=newest&pageSize=60&Christian+Group=Catholic.

Louis St. Hilaire:
I know we've got at least one sizable batch of books that we're almost ready to start posting.

New publisher? Or 'just' new books from an old publisher?

Louis St. Hilaire:
If you've acquired Lift up Your Hearts through the new base packages, you can get a dynamic pricing discount off the pre-pub price. (If you've already pre-ordered, dynamic pricing is automatically applied and should already be reflected on your orders page.)

Will that be true for the Sophocles collection as well?

Louis St. Hilaire:
If you've ordered the pre-pub for Lift up Your Hearts but have already acquired it through the new base packages, we'll make sure your order is canceled before we process the orders (as we've done in situations like this before).

As I was double-charged last time, in spite of promises, I would recommend everyone to either cancel manually, or at least keep an eye on your bank account/credit card bill.

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 3575
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 8 2014 5:45 PM

Don Awalt:

Fr. Nicklaus Winker:
The grail is to be purchased separately

Yes! And in fact if you go to that resource page, a resource hich has gotten "over the top" in PrePub, it says clearly:

Although they can be studied separately, the Grail Psalms are meant for use with the Liturgy of the Hours. Pre-order the Liturgy of the Hours to study the use of these psalms in modern liturgy.

But are these resources designed in such a way as to feasibly allow that use? 

Flipping from resource to resource while trying to pray would be a pain, especially since the Psalms are not in order in LotH, are excerpted, and sometimes LotH skips verses. Besides that, the 'psalms' section also includes canticles and readings from Scripture that the LotH resource lacks - and using different translations won't solve the obligated cleric's problem.

EDIT: Praying the LotH in Latin, however, may be feasible, provided the buyer has the appropriate edition of the Vulgate, and depending on details of the resource that cannot yet be seen.

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 8 2014 7:02 PM

SineNomine:
Flipping from resource to resource while trying to pray would be a pain

I can almost guarantee you won't have to do that. The translation of your choice will be brought in dynamically. There are some minor problems related to that, though. Have you seen https://community.logos.com/forums/p/71503/498032.aspx#498032? (Of course, that was written almost a year and a half ago. There is always a possibility that something's changed since.)

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 29122
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 8 2014 7:51 PM

In theory one could build a PB using dynamic text that makes it prayable. There are a couple of problems that I haven't tested to see if L6 will handle but ...

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 2829
Don Awalt | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 9 2014 6:01 AM

SineNomine:
But are these resources designed in such a way as to feasibly allow that use? 

Since Logos mentioned using together I thought that they may use a data type to enable linking of the resources, so they scroll together - I as I pray days Office of Readings, the Psalms in the Grail Psalms are scrolling along side. I guess it depends how they implement the ease of praying together.

Page 1 of 2 (22 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS