Downloading 10GIG Again. Is It Possible to PAUSE Download?

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
This post has 12 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 502
Randall Hartman | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Nov 8 2014 4:38 AM

Tech support informed me that I needed to wipe my Macbook Pro clean of Logos and start all over. So yesterday I began the process all over again. When I went to bed last night the DL was at 9%. After downloading all night it is now at 10%! (As they say, progress not perfection!)

So my question is this: is there a way to pause the DL? My laptop wants to go to the coffeeshop this morning but I am afraid that closing the lid and/or no internet connection might mess up my 10%. 

What say you? Can my laptop go out for coffee or should it stay home?

PS: I love Logos. I really do. This is not a "whining" post!

Posts 134
Joel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 8 2014 5:18 AM

I believe if you quit Logos, when you start it again it will start the download at 0%, but it will be downloading less than the amount from before.

Worst way to describe it, but... :)

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 8 2014 5:34 AM

Dr. Randall Hartman:
So my question is this: is there a way to pause the DL? My laptop wants to go to the coffeeshop this morning but I am afraid that closing the lid and/or no internet connection might mess up my 10%.

Enjoy the coffee shop, but please keep laptop dry.  Coffee spill can be messy.

Downloading can be interrupted; restarts with remaining resources to download.  One way to "pause" download is open Activity Monitor then quit Logos Indexer.  When ready to resume download, restart Mac so Indexer launches (without Logos running), which avoids contention between download and Logos frequent syncing and automatic checking for metadata and new resources.

In contract, restarting Indexing goes back to beginning.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 502
Randall Hartman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 8 2014 6:19 AM

Thanks for the replies. Even tho my laptop is now working OT to receive the 10GIGS she is happy that she is not housebound. And way we go!

Posts 28122
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 8 2014 6:28 AM

I know you have tried many things... I don't know if you tried this:

1. Keep your WIFI & Blutooth off and use ethernet
  2. Make sure "automatic downloads" is turned off in logos settings.
  3. restart your computer
  4. open up "activity monitor" in OS X utilities, and click on the "network" tab
  5. wait a minute to see if Logos starts indexing.
  6. once the indexer icon disappears, start up logos
  7. when the "there is a download" bar appears, click on it to start the download.
  8. when the indexer/download icon appears above, press command-Q to quit logos (the download will continue)
  9. keep an eye on the logos download/indexer in the "activity monitor." If you see the download stall for several minutes, kill it and go back to step 3

This method has worked three times for me... but I have also done many of the other "fixes," so I am unsure if this was a fluke, a combination of all the things I have tried, or a genuine fix.

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 502
Randall Hartman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 8 2014 6:51 AM

Hah. Now that I am at the coffeeshop the file size I am DLing increased from 10GIG to 15GIG. Good thing we are going to add a little caffeine to the equation!

Posts 502
Randall Hartman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 8 2014 7:43 AM

Alabama24: UR the undisputed Champion of all who struggle with download issues! Thanks so much for your suggestions. Sadly, I am unable to DL with ethernet because my Macbook Pro has no place to plug in the cable. 

I did check the activity monitor and it does seem that it is also indexing as it DLs. Since the tech wiped out my entire Logos to get me a fresh start I am unable to start up Logos.

Oh Well. In the words of one who has gone on before:

**smile**             **peace**           **be still** 

Posts 28122
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 8 2014 9:38 AM

Dr. Randall Hartman:
Sadly, I am unable to DL with ethernet because my Macbook Pro has no place to plug in the cable. 

You might check around to see if any of your friends students might have an adapter. Big Smile

Posts 502
Randall Hartman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 8 2014 10:07 AM

Hmm. Honestly I had no idea they made such a thing. I will check into it. Looks like I have time...

Posts 28122
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 8 2014 11:17 AM

Dr. Randall Hartman:

Hmm. Honestly I had no idea they made such a thing. I will check into it.

Apple is known for eliminating technologies on the front side of them being deemed obsolete. There are many reasons to do so. In this case, most users have access to WIFI and prefer to use it... and having an ethernet port would make the computer "thicker." Here is the "official" one... but you can find other solutions as well:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD463ZM/A/thunderbolt-to-gigabit-ethernet-adapter 

Posts 502
Randall Hartman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 8 2014 5:13 PM

Wonders never cease!! My 15GIG DL was stuck at 10% for over 12 hours. I decided to cancel the download and let my laptop cool off. I came back and noticed it had indexed and then it was done. Click the icon and I am back in business. YES!

Posts 502
Randall Hartman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 8 2014 6:08 PM

Alas. I rejoiced too quickly  The program now runs but it started DLing 13GIG. I guess I am DLing in checks, indexing, and then running the program. Well, whatever works. I'm guessing this DL will stall so I will repeat the process until everything is back on my computer.

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 8 2014 10:51 PM

Randall Hartman:
Sadly, I am unable to DL with ethernet because my Macbook Pro has no place to plug in the cable.

If MacBook Pro has a Thunderbolt port, could use an adapter => http://www.amazon.com/Thunderbolt-to-Gigabit-Ethernet-Adapter/dp/B008ALA6DW/

Keep Smiling Smile

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS