Is Jerome Murphy O’Connor Unknown to Logos?

Page 1 of 1 (19 items)
This post has 18 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 10178
Denise | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Nov 9 2014 10:57 AM

I somehow had made my way to Babylon, the theory being the Essenes began there. Jerome Murphy O’Connor was a major proponent of the theory (Damascus = Babylon).

So I wondered if Logos.com had more in depth from Mr O'Connor (a well known writer, often referenced in Logos searches).  Best I can see, zippo (though Logos does have trouble with O'Connor).

Then I wondered about whether MJ or the community had previously recommended him:
https://www.google.com/search?client=opera&q=site:community.logos.com+Jerome+Murphy+O%E2%80%99Connor 

Amazon certainly knows about him.  Indeed I purchased the Kindle http://www.amazon.com/Holy-Land-Oxford-Archaeological-Earliest-ebook/dp/B008C7W20O which really belongs in Logos but who am I to say.

Given the missing Mr O'Connor, I have to assume it's intentional (or indeed they've not heard of him yet).

Posts 9946
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 9 2014 11:44 AM

Denise:

I somehow had made my way to Babylon, the theory being the Essenes began there. Jerome Murphy O’Connor was a major proponent of the theory (Damascus = Babylon).

So I wondered if Logos.com had more in depth from Mr O'Connor (a well known writer, often referenced in Logos searches).  Best I can see, zippo (though Logos does have trouble with O'Connor).

Then I wondered about whether MJ or the community had previously recommended him:
https://www.google.com/search?client=opera&q=site:community.logos.com+Jerome+Murphy+O%E2%80%99Connor 

Amazon certainly knows about him.  Indeed I purchased the Kindle http://www.amazon.com/Holy-Land-Oxford-Archaeological-Earliest-ebook/dp/B008C7W20O which really belongs in Logos but who am I to say.

Given the missing Mr O'Connor, I have to assume it's intentional (or indeed they've not heard of him yet).

Waltke and O'Connor immediately came to mind,but that is Patrick O'Connor.  I don't find Jerome Murphy O'Connor in Logos' offerings.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 138
LogosEmployee
Clifford Kvidahl | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 9 2014 11:58 AM

Denise:

We know of the late Murphy-O'Connor. It would be almost impossible to do any work in Paul (especially the Corinthians correspondence) without running into his name more than once. I know I have personally made a note to get his works into Logos/Verbum.

On a more personal note, it was largely due to Murphy-O'Connor that I was finally able to get in touch with the French publisher Gabalda about producing a English translation of Spicq's Hebrews commentary. As a former doctoral student of Ceslas Spicq he was more than eager to help me with the the language barrier. For this I will always be grateful! I just wished that he did not pass away before we could get an English translation of Spicq to the press.

Cliff

Posts 10178
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 9 2014 12:06 PM

Thank you, Clifford!  And a very interesting note about Spicq.  I hope the Hebrews translation will see its joy in Logos.

As Clifford notes in his post, https://www.logos.com/product/17734/the-epistle-to-the-hebrews 

Bid!!  'Almost there'.  Yes, you have fake $39.95's still left in your Logos bank account.  You don't pay until after they translate (and ship).

Posts 18670
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 9 2014 12:08 PM

Yes, he has been recommended before, as you pointed out with the Google search (best to put quotation marks around someone's name when searching via Google, though, in case there were pages that happened to contain the three words Jerome, Murphy, and O'Connor, but not in sequence). Here's a post of MJ's where she suggested a work of his. And here's another one. And here's a post by fgh reinforcing one of those titles.

Denise:

I wouldn't assume either. They do have a large Excel spreadsheet internally of all the authors who have been suggested or that they would like to get, and it just takes time to work their way through this list and acquire the rights to all of them. Since he's been suggested multiple times before, I'm sure he's already on their radar. Many of O'Connors works appear to have been published by Michael Glazier which is not a publisher Logos has a relationship with. Most of the others are published by Oxford University Press and Cambridge University Press, with a couple by Liturgical Press and Hendrickson Publishers. While they do have many works published by OUP and Cambridge, these are almost exclusively in the "classical studies" collections and other older out-of-copyright titles. I don't think they have (yet) a very fluid relationship with those university presses for current publications. They do have relationships with Liturgical Press and Hendrickson, it appears, so I would expect those might be some of the first O'Connor works we'd begin to see appearing in pre-pub someday, however very few of O'Connors books are published by those publishers. So just hang tight and continue to suggest him, and the chorus of voices will eventually result in pushing his priority up higher on their list.

Posts 6483
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 9 2014 12:10 PM

I have had an order in from the beginning. So near and yet so far.

Everything ever written in Religion and Theology formatted for Logos Bible Software.Logos Youtube Channel

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 9 2014 12:12 PM

Denise:

They have most definitely heard of him, since he helped Cliff Kvidahl acquire the rights to translate his old teacher Spicq's The Epistle to the Hebrews (2 vols.).

And both I, MJ, and others have suggested him:

(And as for title, I think Fr, Rev, Dr, or Professor would all be more appropriate than Mr.)

EDIT: Late to the game, it seems...

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 10178
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 9 2014 1:36 PM

Some traditions (as they call them) don't do titles.  I rate 'Mr' above the other choices.  No offense.

Posts 9946
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 9 2014 1:38 PM

Denise:

Some traditions (as they call them) don't do titles.  I rate 'Mr' above the other choices.  No offense.

With "Miss" and "Mrs" on the same level and "Ms" at the bottom of the pile.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 10178
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 9 2014 1:42 PM

Sad

Posts 2764
Erwin Stull, Sr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 9 2014 1:53 PM

George Somsel:

Denise:

I like to think "Ms" being in the middle, when you don't know if she is a "Mrs" or a "Miss". Smile

Posts 9946
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 9 2014 1:57 PM

Erwin Stull, Sr.:

George Somsel:

Denise:

I like to think "Ms" being in the middle, when you don't know if she is a "Mrs" or a "Miss". Smile

I would rather be wrong for being wrong than wrong for being politically correct.

george
gfsomsel

Posts 1366
Ben | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 9 2014 2:26 PM

JMO came and lectured to us when I studied in Jerusalem. A real gentleman and a scholar. 

"The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of Conservatives is to prevent mistakes from being corrected."- G.K. Chesterton

Posts 26532
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 9 2014 4:12 PM

Rosie Perera:

Many of O'Connors works appear to have been published by Michael Glazier which is not a publisher Logos has a relationship with. Most of the others are published by Oxford University Press and Cambridge University Press, with a couple by Liturgical Press and Hendrickson Publishers.

Michael Glazier merged with Liturgical Press many years ago. I believe it remains as an imprint.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 26532
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 9 2014 4:15 PM

Denise:

No offense taken assuming you do the same with your physician and dentist Wink

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 9 2014 5:51 PM

Denise:
Some traditions (as they call them) don't do titles.

I'm Swedish. I most definitely don't 'do' titles. But you did. Mr is as much of a title as Fr or Dr.

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 10178
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 9 2014 6:20 PM

Oddly, we were at the doctor's office last week.  Addressed her using her first name.  She's that way for all her patients, having worked with the Navajos.  The dentist really doesn't get addressed. He's mysterious.  Then we found out his son was a missionary in Japan.  Now, he's ok.  But still no name.

But yes, fgh, 'Mr' is a title and in my book the highest available.  (Or Mrs/Ms/Miss).  But my 'tradition' sticks with these and for those on the 'inside', adds 'brother' and 'sister' (true, titles).  Not particularly consistent.  My dad used to cringe if someone said 'Reverand' to him, since everyone used his first name.  At my present church, the pastor knows I'm being uppity if I address him as 'pastor'.  He's pretty familiar with the various traditions.

Posts 2212
Damian McGrath | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 9 2014 6:53 PM

Clifford,

Any chance of Spicq's commentary on the Pastoral Epistles? It is very important regarding lexical issues...

Posts 2764
Erwin Stull, Sr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 9 2014 7:03 PM

George Somsel:

Erwin Stull, Sr.:

George Somsel:

Denise:

That's almost a tongue twister, George. Lol

A good point.

I would rather be wrong for being wrong than wrong for being politically correct.

Page 1 of 1 (19 items) | RSS