Mosaic law: Could one be a king and a priest?

Page 2 of 2 (29 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 28 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 406
Paul C | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 10 2014 2:40 PM

Zip it!

Posts 297
Schezic | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 10 2014 2:50 PM

MJ. Smith:

Might I suggest that if the question is Mosaic law one might search the Talmud et. al.?

Do you imply that the information in the Talmud is more reliable than the Torah?

Posts 29673
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 10 2014 2:59 PM

No I'm merely stating that Mosaic Law had an oral as well as a written component unless you are speaking specifically of Karaite Mosaic law.. And that to interpret Mosaic law from a Christian perspective rather than from a Mosaic perspective is apt to lead to error. If you wish to speak of Christian-interpreted-Mosaic law, that is a different question.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 297
Schezic | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 10 2014 3:04 PM

Point taken. Do you find that restriction in the Talmud?

Posts 29673
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 10 2014 5:03 PM

No. Some consider the Talmud et. al. as a partial record of the oral tradition.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 1
Marsella Harrison | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 21 2017 10:38 AM

I was wrong. I just read the whole. He was punished here for not followingdirect orders pertaining to 7 days. My teacher was wrong! lol. But I know they cant hold 2 offices simultaneously. I'll find it

1Sa 13:8  And he tarried seven days, according to the set time that Samuel had appointed: but Samuel came not to Gilgal; and the people were scattered from him.
1Sa 13:9  And Saul said, Bring hither a burnt offering to me, and peace offerings. And he offered the burnt offering.
1Sa 13:10  And it came to pass, that as soon as he had made an end of offering the burnt offering, behold, Samuel came; and Saul went out to meet him, that he might salute him.
1Sa 13:11  And Samuel said, What hast thou done? And Saul said, Because I saw that the people were scattered from me, and that thou camest not within the days appointed, and that the Philistines gathered themselves together at Michmash;
1Sa 13:12  Therefore said I, The Philistines will come down now upon me to Gilgal, and I have not made supplication unto the LORD: I forced myself therefore, and offered a burnt offering.
1Sa 13:13  And Samuel said to Saul, Thou hast done foolishly: thou hast not kept the commandment of the LORD thy God, which he commanded thee: for now would the LORD have established thy kingdom upon Israel for ever.
1Sa 13:14  But now thy kingdom shall not continue: the LORD hath sought him a man after his own heart, and the LORD hath commanded him to be captain over his people, because thou hast not kept that which the LORD commanded thee.

Posts 25864
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 21 2017 4:37 PM

Marsella Harrison:
But I know they cant hold 2 offices simultaneously. I'll find it

Saul was punished for his disobedience to Samuel (1 Sam 10:8). Neither of them were/could be priests, but Samuel clearly had authority to make offerings whilst Saul thought that being King allowed him to perform (some of) the duties of a priest.

David made burnt offerings (2 Sam 6:17-18) and these were clearly pleasing to the Lord (2 Sam 24:24-25), whilst he also was not a priest. Likewise with Solomon.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 1
Jason West | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 22 2020 6:16 AM

But why would Jesus want to be a priest under Mosaic law? The while point was that he came as the mediator of a better covenant than the one through Moses.

Sidenote: It actually was impossible to be both priest and king in Israel. Priests are from Levi's family. Kings are from Judah's.

Posts 25864
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 23 2020 6:02 AM

Jason West:
But why would Jesus want to be a priest under Mosaic law?

He would not, as you say. Jesus needed to belong to an undying priesthood, established outside the Law ---> Heb 5.9-10; 6:20; 7:1, 11-22

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Page 2 of 2 (29 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS