Logos Catholic/Verbum Important Links

Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 22 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 489
LogosEmployee
Louis St. Hilaire | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Nov 11 2014 12:25 PM

Here are some helpful links where you can learn more about Logos Catholic Products/Verbum:

Verbum website: https://verbum.com/
Verbum blog: http://blog.verbum.com/ 
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/faithlifeverbum
Twitter: https://twitter.com/verbum 
Faithlife: https://faithlife.com/verbum/

Verbum Español: https://es.verbum.com/ 

Verbum contact info: https://verbum.com/contact

Posts 3146
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 7 2016 11:01 AM

Louis St. Hilaire:

The parent company's name needs to be updated.

Posts 27029
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 7 2016 2:14 PM

Thank you - I'll try to remember to copy it into the best answers of the week.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 879
P A | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 30 2017 1:30 PM

Hey Louis St.Hilaire

Any chance of Faithlife getting this for all users regardless of where they live in the world?

http://dltbooks.com/titles/2220-9780232533613-rnjb-new-testament-and-psalms

Revised New Jerusalem Bible

Posts 879
P A | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 30 2017 1:52 PM

YES I said REVISED New Jerusalem Bible

Thanks

P A

Posts 957
Deacon Steve | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 30 2017 6:57 PM

Louis is not at FL any longer.  Maybe Thomas will see this post and can reply.

Posts 129
LogosEmployee
Donald Antenen (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 29 2018 2:33 PM

I've updated the links in the first post!

Posts 6586
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 17 2018 4:33 PM

No Verbum Español? or Bilingual?

DAL

Posts 129
LogosEmployee
Donald Antenen (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 19 2018 9:32 AM

I've added the Verbum Español link!

Posts 5253
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 19 2018 10:55 AM

P A:

Any chance of Faithlife getting this for all users regardless of where they live in the world?

http://dltbooks.com/titles/2220-9780232533613-rnjb-new-testament-and-psalms

Revised New Jerusalem Bible

New Translation! The Revised New Jerusalem Bible (RNJB)

As this video review makes plain it will be a hurdle as rights are once again being split meaning that if FL wishes worldwide rights they need to contract 2 different companies... That said other software companies seem to have no issues doing it so there seems to be little reason to assume FL couldn't if they wished to. I am very disappointed in the the quality of the new notes. As you can get a sense of in the video review I shared here. And while I knew it was coming the removal of Yahweh from the OT feels like a step backward to me but falls inline with newer Vatican protocols. Following the "Revised Grail Psalter" closely feels like a step back in my mind too since you can very powerful renderings

Psalm 1

Blessed indeed is the [one]

who follows not the counsel of the wicked,

nor stands in the path with sinners,

nor abides in the company of scorners,

but whose delight is the law of the L[ORD],

and who ponders his law day and night.

[Such a one] is like a tree that is planted

beside the flowing waters,

that yields its fruit in due season,

and whose leaves shall never fade;

and all that he does shall prosper.

Not so are the wicked, not so!

For they, like winnowed chaff,

shall be driven away by the wind.

When the wicked are judged they shall not rise,

nor shall sinners in the council of the just;

for the L[ORD] knows the way of the just,

but the way of the wicked will perish.

The Revised Grail Psalms: A Liturgical Psalter (with modifications as made by the RNJB)

Psalm 1

The Two Paths

1 How blessed is anyone who rejects the advice of the wicked 

and does not take a stand in the path that sinners tread, 

nor a seat in company with cynics, 

2 but who delights in the law of 

Yahweh and murmurs his law day and night. 

3 Such a one is like a tree planted near streams; 

it bears fruit in season 

and its leaves never wither, and every project succeeds. 

4 How different the wicked, how different! 

Just like chaff blown around by the wind 

5 the wicked will not stand firm at the Judgement 

nor sinners in the gathering of the upright. 

6 For Yahweh watches over the path of the upright, 

but the path of the wicked is doomed. 

The New Jerusalem Bible (New York: Doubleday, 1985), Ps 1.

It has added in the small caps to give the indications of the tetragram it has mostly offered gender neutral rendering but VERSE three is no accident. The current release v. 3 ending is "all that he does shall prosper." rather than "all that [they do] shall prosper." or to remain singular and in harmony with the start of the verse "all that [one] does shall prosper." Although I much prefer the 1985 rendering myself. I am excited that this version is coming out in April but for me in many ways it doesn't feel like a step forward.

-dan

Posts 5253
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 19 2018 1:17 PM
Dan Francis:
you can very powerful renderings
Since edit is not working-- that was suppose to be "you had very powerful rendering in the original NJB". -dan
Posts 16
Angela Lott | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 28 2019 11:25 PM

Donald Antenen (Faithlife):

I've updated the links in the first post!

Where is there a list of the Verbum 8 features that are available using the web app in comparison to the desktop version? 

Posts 607
Larry Craig | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 20 2019 1:03 PM

I think you're the man I need to talk to.

I own both Logos and Verbum.  My homepage is set to receive any information on sales.  But apparently it only applies to Logos products and not Verbum products.

Is there any way I can receive Verbum sales on my Logos homepage?  I find switching between Logos and Verbum tedious.  It should be unnecessary.  These should be treated like two different worlds.  If one has features that the other hasn't, I/we should be able to merge the two and get the best of both worlds.

Thank you

Posts 173
LogosEmployee
Craig St. Clair (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 22 2019 11:23 AM

Hi Larry,

I'm able to get both Verbum and Logos promos in my Verbum desktop:

Craig St. Clair | Verbum Product Manager |

Posts 607
Larry Craig | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 22 2019 12:40 PM

Can I get them both in my Logos homepage?

Or maybe I need to ask what the differences are between the two programs?  It must be more than just the resources.  Maybe I should be using Verbum rather than Logos/  How can I decide?

There are two separate questions here I am hoping to get answers for..

Thank you

Posts 129
LogosEmployee
Donald Antenen (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 22 2019 4:41 PM

As it stands, you can get all the Logos messages, blog posts, et cetera on your Verbum homepage, but you cannot get the corresponding Verbum messages and blog posts on the Logos homepage.

Posts 607
Larry Craig | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 22 2019 5:12 PM

So the question is: what is the difference between the two programs?  Why are there two and not one?  Catholics obviously have their preferred books, as does any other group, but they don't have their own software.  Maybe I should just use Verbum.  Will I lose anything, gain anything?

Thank you

Posts 173
LogosEmployee

Hi Larry,

You're asking some good questions, and questions that Logos (before it became Faithlife) spent a lot of time discussing when Verbum became a separate brand apart from Logos back around 2010.

Here's a little backstory.  Back in the "Logos for Catholics" days, Catholics were confused (and sometimes upset) that all these Protestant books were on offer that they simply weren't interested in (or vehemently disagreed with).  At the same time, a significant enough set of Logos users objected to the new offerings of Catholic resources that they simply weren't interested in (or vehemently disagreed with).  Thus, Verbum as a separate brand from Logos was born.  That trajectory has continued to develop for nearly a decade.  I, as the Verbum product manager, see the foundational biblical studies functionality remaining the common core of Verbum as it is developed for Logos, but the Verbum software will be aimed at catering to how Catholics approach the Scriptures, for lay, clerical, and academic audiences.

Right now, the differences between the Verbum and Logos software have more to do with the resources than the actual software functionality.  That difference will grow in the future, as the Verbum software is refined and focused on how Catholics approach Scripture, worship, and ministry, not to mention theology. 

So, finally, to your question: the main difference right now is that the Verbum install of the software will automatically create collections within one's Library for Catechism, Church Fathers, and Church Documents resources.  This functionality does not exist in Logos.  As we've already discussed in this thread, the ability to filter Logos and Verbum promo items also exists in Verbum, but not in Logos.

I hope that helps, Larry.  I say: go all in with Verbum (but I'm biased in that opinion ;-)).

Yours in the Faith, 

Craig

Craig St. Clair | Verbum Product Manager |

Posts 10127
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 24 2019 3:46 AM

Craig St. Clair (Faithlife):
I hope that helps, Larry.  I say: go all in with Verbum (but I'm biased in that opinion ;-)).

If you're not yet ready for that step, Larry, running Logos in Verbum mode (as long as this feature is kept up) will also allow to see Logos and Verbum stuff on the home page:

It will also provide the few additional functionalities Craig wrote about.

Running Logos 8 latest beta version on Win 10

Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS