Logos 6 Pronounces those "Difficult Names" for You

Page 1 of 1 (20 items)
This post has 19 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 1523
John Kight | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Nov 11 2014 6:45 PM

Im not certain how long this feature has been available, but I was wandering around and discovered that Logos 6 actually pronounces those difficult names for you in the Pronunciation tool. Now you can practice before you preach! 

For book reviews and more visit sojotheo.com 

Posts 1608
Allen Browne | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 11 2014 7:25 PM

John Kight:
Logos 6 actually pronounces those difficult names for you in the Pronunciation tool.

Thanks for pointing this out, John. Valuable tool.

Once I found it (under Tools | Lookup), and chose the English Audio Pronunciations Dataset, I was able to scroll down the list and click on a name to hear it pronounced.

However, the Find box at the top of this resource didn't work for me. Any name I typed in resulted in an empty list (so nothing to pronounce).

I also tried to get at the pronunciation by right-clicking the name in Gen 5:15 and selecting Mahalalel (the English word), but Pronounce was not offered there as an option.

So, using the mouse to scroll the list looks like the only viable option at present?

There are also some curious entries at the end of the list, e.g. "Playmates in the Marketplace", "A Church", "No One", and "A Mute Person". I wonder who is "#cherubBeing"?

Posts 1523
John Kight | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 11 2014 8:51 PM

I had a similar experience. I'm assuming that it will be corrected and further integrated shortly. 

For book reviews and more visit sojotheo.com 

Posts 1736
LogosEmployee
Phil Gons (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 12 2014 9:44 AM

Thanks for the reports. Some of these have already been fixed internally and will be available soon in future updates.

Posts 13016
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 12 2014 9:50 AM

Allen Browne:
So, using the mouse to scroll the list looks like the only viable option at present?

It's also in Factbook. So you could right-click on the name, select the Bible person on the right, and open the Factbook. Then the pronunciation icon is at the top, next to the title.

Posts 729
LogosEmployee
Sean Boisen | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 12 2014 9:53 AM

This is a new feature in Logos 6. You may find it convenient to access this through Factbook: if we have a pronunciation available for the subject of the page, there will be a speaker icon.

We're actively working to add more pronunciations. Currently we cover quite a few names of individuals and groups (but we've found some gaps we're fixing). Next up will be location names, then names of things, and hopefully topics after that.

I can see the benefit in adding this to the content (right-click) menu: thanks for that suggestion.

The problem with the filter box will be fixed in an upcoming release.

Posts 729
LogosEmployee
Sean Boisen | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 12 2014 10:09 AM

Sorry, looks like several of us answered at the same time!

Allen Browne:

There are also some curious entries at the end of the list, e.g. "Playmates in the Marketplace", "A Church", "No One", and "A Mute Person". I wonder who is "#cherubBeing"?

As part of our exhaustive analysis of people, places, things, and events in the biblical text, we've included individuals and groups who are mentioned more than a few times, even if they don't have a name. For example, the Samaritan woman whom Jesus talks to in John 4 is never named in the text, but is included in this analysis. Since there's no name, we've assigned the label "Samaritan Woman", and provided a Factbook entry.

Sometimes those are "generic" more than specific, like the rhetorical "no one" in Mt 6:24. Even though this isn't a specific individual, it can be interesting to see all the places this expression is used (Factbook).

So no need to wonder: you can look all these up in the Factbook to see how we've grouped these entities.

Posts 6472
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 12 2014 10:17 AM

I do not have Aramaic, Hebrew or English pronunciations, as depicted in John's picture.. I have L6 Gold.

Everything ever written in Religion and Theology formatted for Logos Bible Software.Logos Youtube Channel

Posts 3640
BillS | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 12 2014 10:22 AM

I have the free crossgrade (as Logos' gracious concession to beta testers stranded on the last 5.3 beta), so I don't have the data sets as yet.

I only have 2 Greek pronunciation schemas (Erasmian & modern) available in this tool. Will the datasets come with more? Or is that a separate purchase?

Thanks!

Posts 13016
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 12 2014 10:47 AM

BillS:
I have the free crossgrade

You have the free engine, not a crossgrade. You won't get any additional datasets without a purchase.

BillS:
I only have 2 Greek pronunciation schemas (Erasmian & modern) available in this tool. Will the datasets come with more? Or is that a separate purchase?

Erasmian Greek is in Core Crossgrade, and Bronze and above.

English is in Core Crossgrade or Starter. 

Hebrew is an add-on: https://www.logos.com/product/5960/hebrew-audio-pronunciations 

Posts 6472
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 12 2014 10:57 AM

Thanks Mark.

Everything ever written in Religion and Theology formatted for Logos Bible Software.Logos Youtube Channel

Posts 3640
BillS | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 12 2014 11:33 AM

Mark Barnes:

BillS:
I have the free crossgrade

You have the free engine, not a crossgrade. You won't get any additional datasets without a purchase.

BillS:

Erasmian Greek is in Core Crossgrade, and Bronze and above.

English is in Core Crossgrade or Starter. 

Hebrew is an add-on: https://www.logos.com/product/5960/hebrew-audio-pronunciations 

Thanks Mark.

Posts 80
Rick J. | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 12 2014 1:25 PM

The Pronunciation tool is nice, but the lookup/search feature does not seem to work. I can select words from the list, but it does not find anything when it is entered in the search box.

Posts 1608
Allen Browne | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 12 2014 5:09 PM

Thanks for all the replies. No doubt the initial issues will be cleaned up in future updates, and it will be a "sound" tool. :-)

Posts 1608
Allen Browne | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 13 2014 5:18 PM

In another thread, Chris Roberts replied:

We have fixed this and it will be in an upcoming release.

Posts 1608
Allen Browne | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 21 2014 1:22 AM

Thank you for fixing this issue in Logos 6.0a (6.0.1.0032).

Posts 41
Shawn Bumpers | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 21 2014 8:45 PM

Sean Boisén, for some reason, Factbook isn't an option for me when I control click. I've tried in several places, including the one you use in your illustration, but it's not there.

Posts 8891
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 21 2014 8:52 PM

That's because you have Selection chosen in the right column, instead of Person.

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 1281
toughski | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 21 2014 9:04 PM

Chose this one:

Posts 41
Shawn Bumpers | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 22 2014 6:22 AM

Got it. Thanks!

Page 1 of 1 (20 items) | RSS