Updates Give us a Break!!!!!

Page 6 of 6 (105 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6
This post has 104 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 2289
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 13 2014 9:47 PM

There's a learning curve with any kind of product. Both for the company that makes it and the people who buy it. I've been really unhappy with the fact that you have to do a whole lot in a world where software is perpetually beta. If not the program, than the operating system, or the hardware and no one seems to have a clue as to what to do about a when b might be the cause or c if there should be a firmware update. 

If you choose to be on the bleeding edge, prepare to be cut.

Learning how to bleed gracefully isn't much fun. Neither is going back to L3 and XP, but that's really the only way to avoid new tech bumps and regular updates.

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Posts 3938
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 14 2014 4:47 AM

Going back to L3 is a thought that makes me shudder. 

I did drop out of the beta program on my desktop last night. Had to re-install, and decided with all the papers due, I would be better off/safer to use my laptop for beta and my desktop for production. 

I'll jump back in with my desktop in december :)

L2 lvl4, L3 Scholars, L4 Scholars, L5 Platinum,  L6 Collectors. L7 Baptist Portfolio. L8 Baptist Platinum.

Posts 758
LogosEmployee
Sean Boisen | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 14 2014 9:39 AM

Bryan Strickland:

When I start to develop a sermon or a sermon series it starts months ahead of time, I do all the research, study all the relevant scriptures and start to write when i'm done i'm not really done I continue to look over it, I make adjustments to it and then I do it again. The week I preach it I study it every day continuing to dot every i and cross every t until it is the best I can make it. Why? Two reasons 1.) The Lord gave me his best I should give Him mine. 2.) I love my congregation enough to give them my best they deserve it plane and simple. And to all those who like the constant updating. Why? Shouldn't you want the best up front when you buy it not 2 or three months later. That to me seems to be a real issue in america today. Just accept mediocrity because that's what your getting for a few months. 

I'm no computer genius and it is a very extensive program, I like it and will most likely upgrade to 7 if or when it occurs, but the constant updating to me seems to be an outward sign of an inward problem and that seem to be mediocrity. Faith Life should not strive to be like worldly company's as one poster has said. We are Christians we are to be in the world not of it and a Christian company should not act like a worldly company. I'm not saying they are, but you can't deny the fact that dollars must had something to do with it. 

I one am one who could have waited a few months for an excellent product out of the box per say than to have gotten a mediocre product that will take months to make an excellent one.

Still a logos fan and user, but its time we started demanding a better product out the gate.

Bryan:

I'm sorry you're frustrated. Chris put it well here, and you should see the update frequency slowing down soon.

We absolutely want to do our best to make Logos and your experience excellent: Awesomeness is one of our corporate values (here's a post on Bob's personal blog about it). For us, "giving our best" means a strong emphasis on shipping the new features, datasets, and resources that provide an awesome experience for our customers, even if we don't always get it right. That also provides the revenue that lets us continue to serve our current customers and build for the future. The features we shipped with Logos 6 were our best compromise with what we could accomplish given our scheduled release (Shipping is another core value).

Given the fast pace of technology change, there is rarely a point for us when things are "done". If we waited another month, or two, or six, there would still be more resources, more tagging, more features, and testing all that is a never-ending challenge. I believe Logos 6 is an awesome, amazing product: I continue to learn new capabilities all the time! It's not perfect, but I'd rather give a great product to our users today than make them wait for a perfect one at some point in the future.

Posts 183
Bryan S. | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 14 2014 4:33 PM

Sean Boisen:

Bryan:

I'm sorry you're frustrated. Chris put it well here, and you should see the update frequency slowing down soon.

We absolutely want to do our best to make Logos and your experience excellent: Awesomeness is one of our corporate values 

Sean,

Thanks for the input. I have turned off my updates, but wish I didn't have too. I want my program up to date as most everybody else does. I mean who wants an outdated program. It just becomes frustrating when you want to work on something and you can't. because your waiting for your program every other day.Smile

Bryan

Christianity has not been tried and found wanting; it's been found difficult and not tried.

Posts 183
Bryan S. | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 14 2014 4:38 PM

MJ. Smith:
 My apologies - I didn't go back and see what your OP said 

Your ForgivenBig Smile

Bryan

Christianity has not been tried and found wanting; it's been found difficult and not tried.

Page 6 of 6 (105 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 | RSS