Goodreads and Logos

Page 1 of 2 (29 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 28 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 808
Kevin Maples | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Nov 14 2014 5:06 AM

Can Logos link our libraries with Goodreads like Amazon? (I started with the main question for Alabama24's sake Wink )

I have just started using Goodreads and love it. I am able to link my Amazon account so I don't have to look up books I've purchased. I don't know if this would be a possibility for Logos or what it would entail, but it is a nice feature.

Also, if you are on Goodreads, I'd love to be friends especially if you are reading and reviewing books from your Logos library. My username is: www.Goodreads.com/smokymtnmaple 

I have started creating Logos editions in the Goodreads database, because when you read and review a book it asks for a specific edition.

Posts 3013
David Taylor Jr | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 14 2014 5:36 AM

Kevin Maples:

Can Logos link our libraries with Goodreads like Amazon? (I started with the main question for Alabama24's sake Wink )

I have just started using Goodreads and love it. I am able to link my Amazon account so I don't have to look up books I've purchased. I don't know if this would be a possibility for Logos or what it would entail, but it is a nice feature.

Also, if you are on Goodreads, I'd love to be friends especially if you are reading and reviewing books from your Logos library. My username is: www.Goodreads.com/smokymtnmaple 

I have started creating Logos editions in the Goodreads database, because when you read and review a book it asks for a specific edition.

Hey Kevin, don't know if you know this but Amazon did not link to Goodreads until they bought out the company (go figure).  I don't know if they open it up or not, I'd have to look into it, but I know that is why Amazon pushes it, because it now belongs to them.

Teacher, Ministry Leader, Student, Author, Husband

How to upload logs

Visit My Site: Reformed Truths

Posts 126
James Milne Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 14 2014 5:57 AM

Sounds like a good idea. Have put in a friend request to Goodreads (Jim Smith). Currently I am working through DIY Bible Study with my wife. My friend who is a Christian apologist from Iran has recommended Christian Apologetics by Groothuis, so that's next on my list.

Posts 3013
David Taylor Jr | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 14 2014 5:58 AM

James Milne Smith:

Sounds like a good idea. Have put in a friend request to Goodreads (Jim Smith). Currently I am working through DIY Bible Study with my wife. My friend who is a Christian apologist from Iran has recommended Christian Apologetics by Groothuis, so that's next on my list.

How are you liking the DIY Bible Study?

How to upload logs

Posts 126
James Milne Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 14 2014 6:01 AM

It's good, not deep enough for me but great to go through with the wife. Have picked up some useful titbits along the way.

Posts 808
Kevin Maples | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 14 2014 6:27 AM

David Taylor Jr:
Hey Kevin, don't know if you know this but Amazon did not link to Goodreads until they bought out the company (go figure).
I did not know that Amazon owned Goodreads. That does explain a lot. 

Posts 808
Kevin Maples | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 14 2014 6:30 AM

James Milne Smith:
Have put in a friend request to Goodreads (Jim Smith).
I got it. Thanks. I'm currently writing the last chapter of my thesis. When I finish I hope to do a lot less digging and a lot more reading. I thought it would be nice to see what books other Logos users are enjoying.  

The new Send to Kindle feature has made Logos books even more accessible. I started using that feature last night. The two books I sent and began reading are excellent quality. So far so good. 

Posts 3013
David Taylor Jr | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 14 2014 6:52 AM

Kevin Maples:

David Taylor Jr:
Hey Kevin, don't know if you know this but Amazon did not link to Goodreads until they bought out the company (go figure).
I did not know that Amazon owned Goodreads. That does explain a lot. 

In case you are interested. http://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/by-topic/digital/retailing/article/56575-amazon-buys-goodreads.html 

How to upload logs

Posts 27676
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 14 2014 7:00 AM

Kevin Maples:
Can Logos link our libraries with Goodreads like Amazon?

I would love to see this as well. At this point, I am mostly using it to keep track of kindle fiction books... but it would be great to use with Logos as well.

Kevin Maples:
I started with the main question for Alabama24's sake

The Angels are singing, Kevin, the Angels are singing. Big Smile

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 27676
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 14 2014 7:02 AM

Kevin Maples:
I did not know that Amazon owned Goodreads.

Neither did I. 

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 3013
David Taylor Jr | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 14 2014 7:12 AM

alabama24:

Kevin Maples:
I did not know that Amazon owned Goodreads.

Neither did I. 

Yeah they didn't do it with much fanfare and I believe they left the Goodreads team intact.

How to upload logs

Posts 126
James Milne Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 14 2014 8:40 AM

I live in Malaysia, not supported by Kindle unless you have a credit card with a billing address somewhere else. So I read books on the Kindle app on my desktop, laptop and mobile devices. There are no ebook readers available in this country. So reading books on my mobile devices using the Kindle app is really not much different from reading them on the Logos app. On the Kindle app I am currently reading The Dovekeepers by Alice Hoffman, a historical novel based on the events surrounding Masada in 70-72AD. It's a good light-hearted read and gives a little background on the origins of the Dead Sea Scrolls. We found the recommendation on a recent vacation visit to the Cathedral in Calgary.

Posts 808
Kevin Maples | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 14 2014 8:50 AM

alabama24:
You have a good sense of humor my friend. 

I started using it and for now I'm putting everything I'm reading on there. I got interested because I have a pastor friend who is an avid reader who is on Goodreads and I have really enjoyed seeing what he is reading and reading his reviews. And so I thought it would be really nice to be connected to more people like that, who read all kinds of theology related and other books and see what they are reading. 

Somewhat related: What is the best way to view Faithlife reviews of books? I know if you go to a resource page on Logos.com and scroll down it will list comments, but can you see them else where? Maybe we can share reviews of Logos books through a Faithlife group or something. This may already be happening, I don't know. 

Posts 808
Kevin Maples | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 14 2014 8:56 AM

James Milne Smith:
The Dovekeepers by Alice Hoffman
I've added it to my "to read" list. Thanks.

Posts 3013
David Taylor Jr | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 14 2014 9:09 AM

Kevin Maples:

alabama24:
You have a good sense of humor my friend. 

I started using it and for now I'm putting everything I'm reading on there. I got interested because I have a pastor friend who is an avid reader who is on Goodreads and I have really enjoyed seeing what he is reading and reading his reviews. And so I thought it would be really nice to be connected to more people like that, who read all kinds of theology related and other books and see what they are reading. 

Somewhat related: What is the best way to view Faithlife reviews of books? I know if you go to a resource page on Logos.com and scroll down it will list comments, but can you see them else where? Maybe we can share reviews of Logos books through a Faithlife group or something. This may already be happening, I don't know. 

You can also see the reviews on a user's page.  For example: if you got to my Faithlife profile you can click on resources and see what I have reviewed.  So if you have a user on Faithlife that you generally like their opinion on resources, that would be the place to go.

How to upload logs

Posts 979
Tom Reynolds | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 14 2014 9:47 AM

FYI, there are other library management sites out there. I use http://librarything.com/ and find it quite good. You need to pay if you add more than 200 books though.

Posts 3938
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 14 2014 10:56 AM

Added you Kevin 

L2 lvl4, L3 Scholars, L4 Scholars, L5 Platinum,  L6 Collectors. L7 Baptist Portfolio. L8 Baptist Platinum.

Posts 808
Kevin Maples | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 14 2014 12:37 PM

Tom Reynolds:
FYI, there are other library management sites out there. I use http://librarything.com/ and find it quite good.
I'll check that out. I'm not really looking for library management. Just a place to see what my friends or acquaintances are reading and get their opinions on good books to read. 

Last night I started going through my Logos library sending books to my Kindle that I want to read next. I have used my Logos library extensively, almost daily, but I haven't read many of my books. I have been doing research and sermon prep so I am always reading sections in the books. 

Once I can read again, I'd love to hear what some of people's favorite Logos books are, especially those that came in base packages because I should own most of them. Maybe that should be a thread: Favorite books to read in base packages. IDK, it could be interesting. 

Posts 808
Kevin Maples | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 14 2014 12:48 PM

abondservant:
Added you Kevin 
You must have misunderstood me. I was looking for interesting people to connect with ... kidding, just kidding. Thanks. 

Posts 3938
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 14 2014 1:00 PM

Kevin Maples:

abondservant:
Added you Kevin 
You must have misunderstood me. I was looking for interesting people to connect with ... kidding, just kidding. Thanks. 

...and he's got jokes!

This website seems to be one of those things you can sink an unhealthy amount of time into. 

The more peoples profiles I visit, the more books I remember reading, and rate, the more books it asks me if I've read, or own, and wants me to rate. 

But it is interesting. 

L2 lvl4, L3 Scholars, L4 Scholars, L5 Platinum,  L6 Collectors. L7 Baptist Portfolio. L8 Baptist Platinum.

Page 1 of 2 (29 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS