11.6'' 2 in 1 Laptop Screen Shots?

Page 1 of 2 (35 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 34 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 3115
David Taylor Jr | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Nov 17 2014 11:48 AM

Anyone running an 11.6 inch screen with either L5 or L6 desktops?  I am in the market for a new machine and I am wanting to know what the software looks at that size (that is about all that fits my budget).

Teacher, Ministry Leader, Student, Author, Husband

How to upload logs

Visit My Site: Reformed Truths

Posts 3737
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 17 2014 12:13 PM

Yes, I have one. But I am not sure what you are asking. A screenshot will not be real-size, so...

I am fine using it though it is only when I am on the move, not my main laptop. It is a bit cramped, less comfortable, but definitely workable.

Let me know if you have specific questions.

Posts 3115
David Taylor Jr | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 17 2014 12:14 PM

Francis:

Yes, I have one. But I am not sure what you are asking. A screenshot will not be real-size, so...

I am fine using it though it is only when I am on the move, not my main laptop. It is a bit cramped, less comfortable, but definitely workable.

Let me know if you have specific questions.

Yes by screenshot I was wondering is someone could actually take a photo of their screen so I could see real world use.  Thanks for the clarification.

How to upload logs

Posts 4711
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 17 2014 12:29 PM

David Taylor Jr:
Yes by screenshot I was wondering is someone could actually take a photo of their screen so I could see real world use.  Thanks for the clarification.

There you go...

Posts 3115
David Taylor Jr | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 17 2014 12:31 PM

Mike Binks:

David Taylor Jr:

There you go...

Thanks Mike!  That is helpful.  Do you have any problems with that screen size or does it work well for you?

How to upload logs

Posts 3115
David Taylor Jr | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 17 2014 12:32 PM

This would be my main computer by the way.

How to upload logs

Posts 4711
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 17 2014 12:39 PM

David Taylor Jr:
Thanks Mike!  That is helpful.  Do you have any problems with that screen size or does it work well for you?

I do little real study or sermon preparation on the Laptop and mostly use it for teaching and illustration connected to a projector.

But as easy as you can connect it to a projector you can connect it to a big monitor - for many years I just had an old (but good quality) PC monitor on my desk and plugged it in when I wanted to do desk work.

The apple system with its provisions of spaces and screen additions makes a laptop/monitor set-up a breeze.

Posts 406
Paul C | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 17 2014 12:56 PM

My findings concerning this issue: (granted it was a couple years ago) The manufacturers had not been able to incorporate a full size keyboard into the 11.6 platform without using a massive amount of bezel, so the screen portion would be large enough to match/cover the keyboard section. Personally, I found the little bit of bulk caused by moving to a 12.5 screen was more than offset by the real estate and readability.... And the full size keyboard. YMMV.

Posts 3737
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 17 2014 1:10 PM

David Taylor Jr:

Your thread title mentions 2-in-1. I assume that means a convertible, tablet-laptop. I cannot comment on what the experience would be like if you have a touchscreen and a pointing device. I would think that touch would enhance it though.

My keyboard is fine. What they did is that they removed the numpad (which is not needed really). The remainder if the keyboard is a bit more cramped than my main laptop (15.6). My model is really cheap, so the mouse is not great and I would be frustrated if that were my main computer. However, your experience might be different if you have a quality device.

What you may want to do is take a piece of cardboard, cut it to size and then imagine this is your Logos window. How do you normally use Logos? How many resource/guides windows do you have open typically? Use your mouse to resize your Logos window to the same size at your cut out, then open your layout as you want it. This will give you a real visual of what it would be like.

Posts 28132
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 17 2014 1:32 PM

David Taylor Jr:

i can't stand my wife's Mac book air at this small size. 

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 3115
David Taylor Jr | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 17 2014 3:37 PM

Francis:

David Taylor Jr:

Your thread title mentions 2-in-1. I assume that means a convertible, tablet-laptop. I cannot comment on what the experience would be like if you have a touchscreen and a pointing device. I would think that touch would enhance it though.

My keyboard is fine. What they did is that they removed the numpad (which is not needed really). The remainder if the keyboard is a bit more cramped than my main laptop (15.6). My model is really cheap, so the mouse is not great and I would be frustrated if that were my main computer. However, your experience might be different if you have a quality device.

What you may want to do is take a piece of cardboard, cut it to size and then imagine this is your Logos window. How do you normally use Logos? How many resource/guides windows do you have open typically? Use your mouse to resize your Logos window to the same size at your cut out, then open your layout as you want it. This will give you a real visual of what it would be like.

I did just that actually, I resized my L6 window this afternoon to the approximate size and opened several of my layouts, definitely smaller (captain obvious quote) but it wasn't unbearable by any means.

How to upload logs

Posts 3737
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 17 2014 4:06 PM

David Taylor Jr:
captain obvious quote

???

Posts 3115
David Taylor Jr | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 17 2014 4:30 PM

Francis:

David Taylor Jr:
captain obvious quote

???

I was knocking myself for stating the obvious Wink

How to upload logs

Posts 3737
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 18 2014 1:53 AM

David Taylor Jr:
it wasn't unbearable by any means

Did you try using it for an extended period of time at that size? Sometimes I found bearable something just looking at it but found it much more frustrating to use over a longer period of time. 

Posts 3115
David Taylor Jr | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 18 2014 5:13 AM

Francis:

David Taylor Jr:
it wasn't unbearable by any means

Did you try using it for an extended period of time at that size? Sometimes I found bearable something just looking at it but found it much more frustrating to use over a longer period of time. 

I tried it for a couple of hours.

How to upload logs

Posts 3737
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 18 2014 5:40 AM

If you go ahead with your 2-in-1, I'd be curious, in time, to hear about your experience of it. Though I cannot afford it right now, I secretly dream of an "accident" whereby my cup of coffee ends up on my keyboard and I am "forced" to buy something else. 

More specifically, I am VERY curious about the experience of using a touchscreen with Logos. I am also interested in a tablet/touchscreen solution for taking handwritten notes. 

Posts 3115
David Taylor Jr | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 18 2014 6:17 AM

Francis:

If you go ahead with your 2-in-1, I'd be curious, in time, to hear about your experience of it. Though I cannot afford it right now, I secretly dream of an "accident" whereby my cup of coffee ends up on my keyboard and I am "forced" to buy something else. 

More specifically, I am VERY curious about the experience of using a touchscreen with Logos. I am also interested in a tablet/touchscreen solution for taking handwritten notes. 

Yeah my computer is on its last leg which is why I am looking.  I really would prefer to not have a screen that small but money is an issue right now.  However, I do have a nice 26'' screen i can hook it up to at home.

How to upload logs

Posts 4711
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 18 2014 7:08 AM

David Taylor Jr:
Yeah my computer is on its last leg which is why I am looking.  I really would prefer to not have a screen that small but money is an issue right now.  However, I do have a nice 26'' screen i can hook it up to at home.

Well at the risk of over beating my drum – it seems that you will have the best of both worlds. The laptop screen will be usable even while connected to your 26in monitor, essentially just giving you extra workspace for documents or (in Logos) floating panels, and (if you buy a MacBook) the laptop should be more than capable of giving an excellent performance on the second monitor.

What is more the 'Air' is light enough that you will not bulk at taking it around with you.

Posts 3115
David Taylor Jr | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 18 2014 7:11 AM

I may bump up to a 13'', found this machine this morning with an i5 and 8GB ram:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-2-in-1-13-3-touch-screen-laptop-intel-core-i5-8gb-memory-500gb-hard-drive-black/5827062.p?id=1219163973258&skuId=5827062 

How to upload logs

Posts 406
Paul C | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 18 2014 7:40 AM

Francis:
I use a Lenovo X220T (convertible) It has an i7 processor, 8 GB ram, and a 12.5 inch touch screen, so it's an adequate laptop. Flip the screen and it's a worthy...although bulky tablet (3.5 lbs) As of this writing Logos does not support handwritten notes. No great loss because I prefer one note anyway. The handwriting function is a dream in one note. You can scribble directly into one note or use the pen input and the machine will transcribe the hand written word into text...complete with auto complete and spell checking. The logos PC software has not completely evolved into the touch/pen era ...(scrolling and mouse over are quirky) But there are work-arounds till they catch up.  Smile

I liked the touch experience so much, I invested in a Dell venue 8 pro as a pocket portable. it came with Microsoft office home and student...which includes one note ... The Dell is also fantastic for taking hand written notes. Any machine equipped with one note can sync the notes to the cloud and any other machine so equipped can share them.

Hope this helps...God Bless

Page 1 of 2 (35 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS