FEATURE REQUEST: Reading Pane for any book

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
This post has 11 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 22
Brother Odin | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Jan 14 2010 4:59 AM | Locked

The goal behind this request is to provide an easy way to READ our books online in a fashion that is easy for the eyes and also could improve scanning the text as we are looking for information.

I can think of two ways where this could be triggered:

1) Open a specific Window with these properties

2) Trigger this new mode for a current window by clicking a property

Basically, the functionality would be to remove anything that would distract us from READING and scanning the text. I want to improve the reading experience so that we could actually enjoy reading any of the hundreds of books available without many of the difficulties associated with reading on a computer screen.

I am aware that there is a full screen mode that is a good first step but it has the following problems:

1) Cannot set the Font just for this window to make it easy to read

2) Margins for the text cannot be set, so in my case with a wide screen lcd, it is a real problem to scan the text

I will update things as new things pop up, but to give people an idea of what it would actually look like. Check out this bookmarklet which does the same thing for text on the web: 

http://lab.arc90.com/experiments/readability/

cheers!

-- Odin

Posts 5337
Kevin Becker | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 14 2010 5:14 AM | Locked

This is a good suggestion Odin. I avoid the full screen mode because having text from edge to edge actually slows reading; it would be great to have the ability to limit the width of the text column in full screen mode.

One note, the "Suggestions" forum would be the best place for this request.

Posts 22
Brother Odin | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 14 2010 6:14 AM | Locked

Good call, I actually looked to see if there was a suggestion area and totally missed it.

I will also add it there. Yes

Posts 129
Tom Blanchard | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 14 2010 6:58 AM | Locked

Good idea, Odin. Yes

Maybe with an optional pane for reading tools, like highlighting, notes and clippings. That would be really helpful... and even fun!

Should we suggest an option to change the background color? Smile

Posts 1281
toughski | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 21 2010 1:36 AM | Locked

Tom Blanchard:

Maybe with an optional pane for reading tools, like highlighting, notes and clippings. That would be really helpful... and even fun!

This is what I was going to suggest.  What if we had a special READING MODE where you can configure margins, line spacing, font, etc (I realize that we can already do some of it for ALL resources, but these settings can be specially designed for READABILITY of long books).

OdinOrtiz:

I tried this bookmarklet and I LOVE the look.  Everything about it pulls you into reading and makes it easy and enjoyable.

Anyway, wouldn't it be cool to also be able to "write" in the margins - which would automatically create a notefile and a clippings file for that specific book - say, left margin for your own thoughts, and the right margin for clippings. 

just brainstorming... Idea How do YOU read and annotate paper books?

Posts 1715
LogosEmployee
Bob Pritchett | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 21 2010 8:31 AM | Locked

An improved, multi-column reading view is coming in a future release.

Posts 50
Randy O'Brien | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 21 2010 8:39 AM | Locked

Thank you, Bob. I appreciate your continued efforts to make this a better product. I love the new functionality and features, but there are many times that an uncomplicated reading view would be better.

Posts 2977
Forum MVP
Jacob Hantla | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 5 2010 6:43 PM | Locked

Bob Pritchett:

I cannot wait for this. It will make full-screen reading a pleasurable possibility. Thanks, Bob

Jacob Hantla
Pastor/Elder, Grace Bible Church
gbcaz.org

Posts 294
Debra W Bouey | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 5 2010 8:10 PM | Locked

Bob Pritchett:

Outstanding! Yes

Lenovo P72: Intel 8th Gen i7-8750H 6-core, 32GB RAM, 2TB HDD + 1TB Sata SSD, 17.3" FHD 1920x1080, NVIDIA Quadro P600 4GB, Win 10 Pro

Posts 10804
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 6 2010 1:29 PM | Locked

Bob Pritchett:

Awesome improvement. Yes

Posts 1416
Wes Saad | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 7 2010 10:33 PM | Locked

Bob Pritchett:

Was just pointed this way from another thread, and I'm glad to hear an improved reading view is coming. This being several months later, is the improved view still in the plans? I know lots of neat new goodies are being added and a reading view would not be a top priority, but given how outstanding other Logos 4 innovations have been, I look forward to seeing what you guys come up with for the reading view.

Posts 1367
JimTowler | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 12 2010 2:04 AM | Locked

Bob Pritchett:

My VOTE to bring this soon please.

I find I am using Logos4 to find things, but I tend not to actually READ very much of anything in large doses. I look forward to and welcome any reading modes.

As others have said here and elsewhere, the current F11 full-screen is too wide for most reading.

Thanks Bob.

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS