Page 3 of 4 (66 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >
This post has 65 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 3770
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 20 2014 1:47 AM

I am working on my second coffee, but still I could not see a list of "what's new to you" on Noet products. They look interesting but it would be good to get through the mass of information and see clearly what one would gain by getting one of these packages. Or is my coffee not working yet?

Posts 650
Scott E. Mahle | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 20 2014 2:56 AM

That was a great offer I couldn’t refuse. Purchased the Judaica Research Library and picked up 41 new resources for nearly the cost of the JPS Classic Midrash Collection alone. Excellent value! Even if one doesn’t have any of the titles, that bundle price is very, very good at $999.95 (and even better at 15% off) because the 41 resources I picked up sell for over $1000 individually. Thank you Noet for the wonderful research library addition!

Logos Series X Pastor’s Library | Logos 3 Leader’s Library | Logos 4 Portfolio | Logos 5 Platinum | Logos 6 Feature Crossgrade | Logos 7 Essential Upgrade - Large | Logos 8 Methodist & Wesleyan Platinum and Academic Professional

Posts 1518
Forum MVP
Fr Devin Roza | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 20 2014 3:43 AM

I am really looking forward to the type of tools that I imagine Noet will drive on the desktop app (starting with fixing the Cited By tool or creating a more powerful equivalent!). I imagine that like that much more will be on the way as well. 

Posts 917
LogosEmployee
Ben Amundgaard (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 20 2014 9:04 AM

Francis:

I am working on my second coffee, but still I could not see a list of "what's new to you" on Noet products. They look interesting but it would be good to get through the mass of information and see clearly what one would gain by getting one of these packages. Or is my coffee not working yet?

Hey Francis,

Don't worry, your coffee is working! 

I don't have a good solution for that right now (other than to call sales).  The package configuration doesn't lend itself well to a comparison chart (mainly because they don't all "stack" in the same way that Logos BPs do) and I don't have a better option at this point.

I think sales can give you a pretty quick rundown of what would be new to you if you want to give them a call.

Thanks!

Director, Bible Study Products Department

Posts 225
Alex Bui | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 20 2014 9:14 AM

I downloaded the free desktop Noet engine yesterday.  After I logged in, it started to download 30+ GB of data.  I stopped it.  I already have the resources downloaded in Logos on the same laptop.  Just don't want to download duplicate resources on the same computer.  Should I download the 30+ GB of data?  Please advise.  Thank you.

Posts 391
James C. | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 20 2014 9:19 AM

I hope I'm not going to need to run two programs. The reason I went with Logos in the first place was to avoid running more than one program. I'm downloading the Noet program right now to see what are the differences. Hopefully it's just a stripped down version. Please don't create competing programs.

Posts 2081
Randy W. Sims | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 20 2014 9:20 AM

Alex Bui:

I downloaded the free desktop Noet engine yesterday.  After I logged in, it started to download 30+ GB of data.  I stopped it.  I already have the resources downloaded in Logos on the same laptop.  Just don't want to download duplicate resources on the same computer.  Should I download the 30+ GB of data?  Please advise.  Thank you.

No. Use Method 3 from https://wiki.logos.com/Quick_Installation_onto_multiple_computers#Method_3 

In Noet, enter scan <path to your logos resources> in the Command box

Restart Logos.

Posts 2081
Randy W. Sims | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 20 2014 9:33 AM

James C.:

I hope I'm not going to need to run two programs. The reason I went with Logos in the first place was to avoid running more than one program. I'm downloading the Noet program right now to see what are the differences. Hopefully it's just a stripped down version. Please don't create competing programs.

Currently it is just a stripped down version, AFAICT. Some menu entries hidden although some of them can be opened from the command box or from synced layouts. Nothing new. I downloaded it (to my old hd) to check it out and see what's what, but I don't think there is currently any reason to have both installed. Of course, I don't know what their future plans are.

Posts 225
Alex Bui | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 20 2014 9:35 AM

Randy W. Sims:

Alex Bui:

No. Use Method 3 from https://wiki.logos.com/Quick_Installation_onto_multiple_computers#Method_3 

Restart Logos.

Thanks Randy.  When I started to sign in Noet, the download began immediately.  I stopped the download and I was not able to go to Noet homepage yet.  Any other suggestion?  How do you find out where your logos resources reside? Thanks.

Posts 3770
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 20 2014 9:40 AM

Alex Bui:
After I logged in, it started to download 30+ GB of data.  I stopped it.  I already have the resources downloaded in Logos on the same laptop.  Just don't want to download duplicate resources on the same computer.

I saw that the Noet packages can be purchased from the Logos website. Perhaps that's the route to go if one does not want two installations?

Posts 917
LogosEmployee
Ben Amundgaard (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 20 2014 9:51 AM

Just to be clear: all the Noet packages will work in the Logos and Verbum apps (like any other Logos resource).  There is no need to download the Noet desktop app unless you want to.

Posts 13399
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 20 2014 9:57 AM

Ben Amundgaard:

Just to be clear: all the Noet packages will work in the Logos and Verbum apps (like any other Logos resource).  There is no need to download the Noet desktop app unless you want to.

Ben,

Can you confirm whether Noet is merely a subset of Logos, or whether there are Noet features not available in Logos/Verbum.

Posts 2081
Randy W. Sims | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 20 2014 10:11 AM

Alex Bui:

Randy W. Sims:

Alex Bui:

Restart Logos.

Thanks Randy.  When I started to sign in Noet, the download began immediately.  I stopped the download and I was not able to go to Noet homepage yet.  Any other suggestion?

I haven't done this enough times to be able to picture where you might be. Has Noet opened past the initial dialogs? Are you looking at the Noet app, opened? With the command box displayed beside the tools menu? If not, start Noet while holding down the control button. When it opens go to Settings and set Use Internet to off, the restart Noet.

Alex Bui:
How do you find out where your logos resources reside?

Resource location depends on OS. On Windows, the easiest method is probably to find the Logos icon on your desktop or start menu, right-click it and select Properties. Then click the Open File Location button. That will open File explorer. Navigate down through the directories, "Data", <random_id>, "ResourceManager", Resources. Then click in the address bar and copy the path shown.

On Mac, I believe it's something like  /Users/<username>/Desktop/Resources

Posts 225
Alex Bui | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 20 2014 12:01 PM

Deleted comment. 

Thanks Ben for saving me some times.

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 20 2014 12:43 PM

Ben Amundgaard:
They are different. The Noet desktop app is geared more for the study of the humanities in general and, consequently, has a different set of tools (or, perhaps, the tools are configured in a way that is more appropriate for the humanities).

Todd Phillips:
notice the Guides menu is not available

But you're also selling Judaica! And a Biblical Greek Research Library! Whether those are bought by Jews or by secular students, they are going to need the same tools as we have in Logos. 

Mark Barnes:

Ben,

Can you confirm whether Noet is merely a subset of Logos, or whether there are Noet features not available in Logos/Verbum.

Or will be in the future?

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 29374
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 20 2014 12:48 PM

Personally I'm hoping that Noet builds the market to require the text analysis tools that are missing in Verbum/Logos. I would prefer that the features be available across all the markets, that the difference be default settings.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 917
LogosEmployee
Ben Amundgaard (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 20 2014 1:02 PM

Mark Barnes:

Ben,

Hey Mark,

More or less (I hesitate to give an unqualified yes).  We've tweaked a few things and renamed a few things so that they are a better fit for the market. In essence, though, there are no Noet features that are not available in Logos/Verbum (unless you count the awesome logo as a feature Wink). To reiterate what I said before, if you are an existing Logos/Verbum user, there is no need to download the Noet desktop app.

Posts 917
LogosEmployee
Ben Amundgaard (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 20 2014 1:03 PM

MJ. Smith:

Personally I'm hoping that Noet builds the market to require the text analysis tools that are missing in Verbum/Logos. I would prefer that the features be available across all the markets, that the difference be default settings.

I would love some examples/ideas for new features/tools.  Feel free to email me any time ben (dot) amundgaard (at) noet (dot) com

Posts 1751
Nathan Parker | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 21 2014 4:34 PM

Question: Since Noet is based on L6, is it 64 Bit?

Nathan Parker

Visit my blog at http://focusingonthemarkministries.com

Posts 917
LogosEmployee
Ben Amundgaard (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 21 2014 4:47 PM

Nathan Parker:
Question: Since Noet is based on L6, is it 64 Bit?

Yes! Big Smile

Page 3 of 4 (66 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS