Logos 6, Still on the fence with purchasing

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
This post has 7 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 14
Carl Wells | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Nov 20 2014 8:14 AM

I own a very large Portfolio library, Logos 5 version.  I have watched numerous videos and advertisements for Logos 6.  I am contemplating upgrading to Logos 6, Portfolio or the Collectors Edition.  I would love to hear from individuals who have purchased Logos 6.  Is the upgrade (in your opinion) a valuable investment?

Posts 4768
Forum MVP
Fred Chapman | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 20 2014 8:37 AM

The value is going to be determined by your needs and interests. If you are satisfied with the resources in your library you can upgrade to L6 using one of the cross grade options. That will get you the L6 engine and some or all of the new features and datasets. If your desire is to add resources you should evaluate which packages include the resources you want to add and then upgrade to that. Do not get hung up on the base package titles. You may see resources in L6 portfolio that are important to you which are also included in another package (e.g. L6 Gold). If that is the case there is no need to buy L6 portfolio, purchase L6 gold. Regardless which package option or cross grade option you choose, you will not lose anything you currently have.

Posts 230
Claybon Collins Jr | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 20 2014 8:38 AM

Hi Carl,

I was in the same status as you. I upgraded to the Collectors Edition and I am very happy with what I received. I am sure there are more who can expound on this but L6 IMHO is worth it. I am still learning things and being amazed by what I see and can do. I have no doubt you will be amazed as well.

Blessings to you,

Claybon

Posts 28475
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 20 2014 8:41 AM

Hey Carl! 

I don't know who might choose to chime in... Since I am not currently using L6 vocationally, I will speak in the broadest of terms, and give a framework for how I would tackle the question. 

Firstly, L6 has many new features which users will really like. Many of these will be free to users once the new engine is made publicly available in February. I really like "send to kindle" and personal book sync... although for the later, I am waiting for personal books to become available on mobile (no time table given for that). Other features will require a purchase of either a new base package, or a feature "cross grade." Here is a link to explore many of the features of L6.

Secondly, you need to distinguish between 1) the base L6 engine 2) the new dataset features and 3) the additional resources in a new base package.

The single greatest benefit of Logos to me is an integrated search library. I like that I can do a search on "Hebrews 11" and have all of my commentaries pop up. I like that I can do a search for "thankfulness" and serendipitously find resources which deal with the subject. When you are looking at upgrading to L6, you should look at those three things. The base engine will be free in February, so you will gain those without a purchase. The new dataset features are great, but you should investigate them to see if they would benefit you in your unique circumstance. It may be that you have questions about a specific one... The forums are a great place to learn about those. Either do a google search [use site:community.logos.com before you type your search terms] or create a new thread asking specific questions about the tool. The last thing you need to look at are the resources gained when you purchase a new base package. Make sure to use the "new to me" feature of the website so you can see what you would gain. Also, remember that just because you purchased "portfolio" in the past, doesn't mean you will need or want to purchase "portfolio" now. (Remember: You are adding onto what you already have, you aren't giving anything up).

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 1130
Keith Larson | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 20 2014 9:19 AM

I would suggest you look at the new books you would be getting in each package. The fact is that the L6 Gold and above have all then new features. If packages above the Gold level do not have books you value their is little sense in purchasing a PB higher than Gold. I am sure with the L5 Portfolio your upgrade price to Gold would be very reasonable.

With that said, I personally upgraded from L5 Portfolio to L6 Collectors because their were more than enough books to justify the upgrade cost. Remember you will never be able to purchase books at a higher discount than at PB upgrades.

Posts 391
James C. | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 20 2014 9:22 AM

I went from Portfolio to Collectors and love it.

Posts 2769
Erwin Stull, Sr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 20 2014 9:33 AM

I went with the L6 Feature Crossgrade, from L5 Diamond. The crossgrade gave me every new feature of L6, without the additional resources. I would have loved to upgrade with the additional commentaries, etc., but now is not the time. Smile

Posts 14
Carl Wells | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 20 2014 10:09 AM

Thanks everyone!  Your comments have been very helpful.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS